Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Well at least the books wont end like Lost! I am assured of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

nwin posted:

Do Catelyn and Joffrey ever loving die? ... I'm halfway through Storm of Swords.

Yes

...but Cat comes back as a zombie (no, seriously) after Walder Frey kills her and Robb and sews Grey Wind's head to Robb's body and Tyrion kills Tywin and Gregor and the Red Viper kill eachother but apparently now loving Gregor is going to be a zombie too jesus what in the gently caress and Arya goes blind and Jon gets stabbed and loving HODOR DIES

I hope that answers your question.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 7, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

So how come Theon doesn't point out that fake Arya is, well, fake?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

Do you want to maybe piss off the guy who tore off your skin, chopped off several fingers, and gelded you?

Well, what do I have to lose?

Ixian posted:

It's not like Ramsey doesn't know, along with (likely) everyone at the Dreadfort. I mean, why would they care? They aren't portrayed as people who let trifling details like that get in the way of a good inheritance.

But it's not a legitimate inheritance. I'd care. But if the answer is, 'they know and don't care', then well

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A Hodor POV would be filled with the most prosaic of prose, artfully constructed facades of shadow illuminating the long night of war blanketting the Seven Kingdoms. His thoughts would run deeper than any ocean, the breadth of his understanding wider than any sea, his ability to cut through the gossamer bullshit of others like a blade sharpened to a molecular edge.

And all his dialogue would be "Hodor."

A poet, a scholar, a philosopher. All these and more, locked away in a cage of meat and bone, never to be let out.

Truly, Hodor is the tragic hero of our story.

How is a dead dude going to have a POV?

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I'm going to read the Dany chapters with relish because this is a goddamn fantasy series and it's about goddamn time we get to see some dragons loving poo poo up bigtime.

I have some bad news

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 12, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Miss Nomer posted:

Loras was actually burned pretty bad

Not as bad as Quentyn Martell! :downsrim:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Just opened my copy to make sure it's not blank and or pictures of Gurm giving me the finger

(it's not wtf)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

http://grrm.livejournal.com/223563.html

I missed this before, but apparently it's too hard writing everyone an extra six words :qq:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

geeves posted:

If he signing 500 / 1000+ at each, yeah it can suck.

Did you ever have to write lines as a kid? Recall the carpal tunnel syndrome-like cramps that left your hand useless for a day or two?

You're right, that would leave Gurm unable to write

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

b0lt posted:

This summarizes all of Dany's chapters:

Six. loving years.

NihilCredo posted:

Congratulations. Do you want a cookie for that?

Go away :unsmith:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

hypocrite lecteur posted:

some awful Iraq analogue

Gotta agree, it reads like something that's - get this - six years too late

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Eight year olds, ser

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

Holy gently caress, coveted NFL Football Player Nnamdi Asomugha signed with the Philadelphia Eagles instead of the NY JETS, author George R.R. Martin has massive coronary

Gurm probably didn't even know who Nnamdi was , but today he - like all Jets fans - will be circlejerking around talking about how that "assomuggah" guy isn't even that good anyway J E T S JETSJETSJETS

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Aurubin posted:

It's sad in a way that I've resigned myself to the fact that GRRM will most likely die before completeing his fantasy dodecaolgy or however many books it'll take to end it.

I came into this series as the last (long) iteration of the bad thread was dying down, and was astonished by the content, not necessarily in a good way. Having "finished" the series and gone through the customary discussions with friends and forumgoers, I now see how something like the bad thread could form. I'm not comfortable with that realization.

Somebody write a Ser Robert Strong PI.

My friend just finished the books and came to basically all the bad thread's conclusions on his own. poo poo owned.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 6, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I would read 800 pages or whatever the gently caress of clegane loving people up and then proselytizing at them nine times before i read dance again

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what A Clash of Kings was about... or did I read a different version?

drat, no wonder I liked that one

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Heh.

Just so.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Paperback Writer posted:

I thought he was going to be like the focal character for when the Others attack. Also, kinda dumb of those Night's Watch to kill him while they are totally outnumbered by wildlings.

mufugga aint dead hth

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

A wizard did it really is the best answer and the one with the most retention of dignity. The elliptical nature of the orbit has nothing to do with the seasons, seasons are caused by the tilt of the plant's axis and the resulting angle of sunlight hitting the planet, the planet on which Westeros is located clearly has 2 or more axes of rotation, one roughly up-down with a period in line with an orbit around the sun and another, more eccentric axis which causes the the crazy summers and winters lasting decades. Spergs aren't even sperging about the right sperging things. Spergs.

whatever, sperg

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Giants win, get ready for a tide of football writing and pizza for months.

as opposed to what exactly

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Well theres Roman Polanski because

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

the eye of sauron is an example of male gaze because

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Wait, there were girls in the Lord of the Rings?

yeah dude it had the kid from rudy

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Quite the jape. You want an ear? I can get you an ear, believe me. Must needs, Ser. Gods, I can get you an ear by nightfall, with Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know. The Others take these amateurs...

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Murphys Law posted:

So how much time is 2-3 years in GRRM time? http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120312/george-martin-game-of-thrones-120313.html

this is just like when hitler had all his dudes working on plans for moonbases and poo poo when they was still kneedeep in russians

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

I'm pretty sure a bunch of people got banned the last time that stuff came up so uh

haha whoops forgot where I was for a sec

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 19, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Maytag posted:

He talks exactly like he looks.

True story, the whole reason I read these books is that I saw that picture of him with his cat and said,"yep, there is no way that dude doesn't have this fantasy thing down pat"

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b693/The-Pear-Shaped-Man/George-RR-Martin/?si=0

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

My guess is that it reproduces in a manner similar to pseudoparasitic wasps; i.e. by implanting its eggs into an unsuspecting host where they hatch and the larvae consume their host from the inside-out before emerging into the environment. The groping at conventions is actually part of the egg implantation process.

They mostly come out and night. Mostly.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

(this is the cue to reply with posts that contain all grrms favorite buzzwords for at least a page)

sup

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Bizob posted:

Awww, c'mon internet. Some jerkoff spoiled the Red Wedding for the Otaku Assemble / "they killed my nigga Ned" guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dVpckgDs4

Watching him flip out was the highlight of Season 1, why deny us all the pleasure of his reaction to Storm of Swords? Thats what he gets for enjoying something on the internet, I guess.

This was last year? Because I'm pretty sure I spoiled poo poo there

Oh and I have no recollection of the first, I don't know, three quarters of clash of kings outside of shadow babby. So the show is going to be fresh for me.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 30, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Basically whenever some tremendously poo poo person says/does something stupid you can always count on FYAD mocking the dude until he ragequits.

And there's the GBS parody threads which are the funniest things on the internet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm only on page one but boy, that sure is a thing. Yes indeed.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 1, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

you guys I just remembered there are a whole bunch of people watching that show and expecting all the gay dragon bullshit to be relevant and stuff

hahahahahahaha

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The gay dude is going to be the most important character in the show for one episode and then die.

I really can't wait for the gay blogs to throw the biggest shitfit ever.

So to them I say: WILD CARDS

the gay dude gets killed by a vagina demon no less, I mean jesus

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

The thing that surprised me about Episode 1 was how much they trimmed down the Lightbringer/Azor Ahai myth. They pretty much turned it into "Once upon a time, some guy pulled a sword out of a fire. Now watch as Stannis pulls a sword out of a fire." Unless they're going to revisit this story later, it seems like they're removing this entire plot element. Could this be an indication that the whole Lightbringer/Azor Ahai stuff doesn't actually go anywhere? I'm only curious because I've heard so many theories about how "X is actually Azor Ahai reborn and Y is their symbolic Lightbringer."

It's only been one episode and there were like 4 or 5 different plot arcs to cover. We didn't even see Renly

crazypeltast52 posted:

Hey, random question about Renly-Loras: is Renly established as a top or are they generic tv gay? Jamie's reference to holes even Renly never found and the slurp scene in season one seem to support this, giving us an interesting juxtaposition that Loras, the masterful lancer and warrior, isn't the one doing the spearing. Yep, this is the bad thread :gay:

and I cannot even believe this isn't the gayest post in this thread

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is Loras teaching him to lance too?

he shouldn't if they ever want an heir :gay:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Tony Danza Claus posted:

GRRM hates us all. ADWD was him punishing us for having the audacity to want him to finish his lovely rape-fiction cookbooks.

That reminds me, which one of you did this:

quote:

1. Absolute Fucker 169 up, 4 down

A person who goes on vacations when he's several years late on a deadline then acts put upon when people call him out on it.

Also a person who lures people into his home with promises of lemony cakes only to serve them Wild Cards and miniature sex dolls.

Me: Some would say that GRRM is an absolute fucker.

You: I agree with them.

Me: Hey, me too!

You: OK, it is settled then.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Something that just occurred to me...

Did we actually witness Roob die? I mean Yeah, we saw him stuck with a few quarrels and perhaps run through with a sword, but did anyone check his pulse?

Not the first time a corpse was made to look like someone else. Missing face? Missing head?
Not too late for the gurm to bring Roob back. Would be quite the thing for Cat too see, after she went and ripped her own face and throat apart.

if either robb or little robb show up I'm done. I mean really done. About the only thing dumber would be Ned coming back. Even Xenu or the imperium or gay nazi vampires or santa claus or whateverthefuck showing up would be less of a cheapening, interest-killing development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I like how 2000 pages of dickery and more pointless detail with a thimble-full of plot development is "less work" than just jumping ahead five years and pretending it's the start of a whole new saga, basically dividing the series into "generational eras" of sorts.

he doesn't get paid or have time magazine happily slurp his greasy wad for a 5 year timelapse