Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Its possible that people skip the Dany chapters because they find them to be horribly written and/or boring. But I guess those opinions don't count unless they actually read said chapters, and when they turn out to be indeed boring, then that opinion is also invalid for some reason?

I don't skip and enjoyed the book but if an entire plotline cannot keep a reader's attention enough for them to even be bothered to read it, the author has failed as a writer, at least for a subset of readers. I'd say thats a valid point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't think he writes these books to please everyone. In fact, that's the worst thing you could do as a writer.

But yes, you need to read every chapter or your opinion holds no weight. That's like watching half of a movie, declaring it boring, then drawing your own conclusions as to its other half in terms of entertainment/quality.

I'm not saying he aims to please everyone, or even anyone, nor should he do so. And skipping chapters is kind of weird anyway, might as well stop reading it altogether.

But even then, if you literally cannot finish a book because of percieved quality, then why does that not count as an opinion? Why put in the extra time investment on something you find unenjoyable?

And if a movie was bad enough to stop halfway, then you can absolutely still make a quality judgement. Despite whatever the second half is like, it fails as a movie (on an individual level, of course) if you can't make it that far. You should be able to discuss why you disliked something enough not to finish it, we have an entire thread about "books you couldn't finish".

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Wex is a Faceless Man.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Bran is a selfish dick, he keeps mindraping Hodor because he feels 'left out' when the others go exploring.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Glug_Glug posted:

"...She's been loving Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy for all I know..." "I'm looking for a maid, three and ten..."
"Ser Gregor, Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Illyn, Ser Meryn, queen Cersei."
"My name is Reek, it rhymes with..."

GRRM seems to do this alot. Using repetition to help establish the character I guess. It doesn't bother me to much and I actually find it quite effective sometimes.

My number one question is who was the hooded man that Theon ran into as he was walking around Winterfell? Seemed pretty knowledgeable.

WHERE DO WHORES GO?!

Did Raff the Sweetling and Dunsen die? I want Arya to find out out some of these bros are dead. Gregor is technically dead, at least.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Truly horrifying. Looks like art from a brochure on eating fruits and veggies, featuring a kid named Bobby B.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Somebody turned out to be totally wrong.

The two big sequences the entire book leads up to? Nobody will missing reading those! There's already enough RAD poo poo going down for ten books! Like that part where Tyrion vomits from alcohol poisoning for the third time, what a joker he is!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Wex is a Braavosi Swordmaster.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Reek, it rhymes with FORT FREAK: A WILD CARDStm "NOVEL" (Edited by George R.R. Martin)

Beat me to it, rear end in a top hat.

I'm not sure that Theon's childkilling is even looked down upon at all un the books, lords get away with that poo poo all the time and nobody gives a gently caress. At least Roose "Michael" Bolton doesn't.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

lapse posted:

Old Nan never hurt anyone

:colbert:

That old hag tried to scare Bran, that bitch.

This series is filled with terrible people. We root for some and hate others, yet their actions are not so different. Except for the darkest of stars Ser Gerold Dayne, the Sword of the Twilight and a paragon of justice.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Winds of Winter book one: the first book ever to be printed on pizza crust.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I think the correct resolution to this inane argument is to say "gently caress all words" and move on.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Quantify! posted:

She was complicit. She's an evil scheming child and should die.

You are a bad person. Margaery is hot and doesn't have saggy titties so she should live.

Maybe she can roll with my homie Lancel and do some good in the world!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The Lies of Locke Lamora was pretty good on its own, I haven't read the second one and I will eventually, but its not like I'm dying to find out what happens next.

GRRM on the other hand...

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Did GRRM actually say there would be no new POVs? He will throw in more if the story requires it.

Dany is likeable through GoT when you think shes going to start wrecking poo poo, but after that... If she is the "main" character I will be disappointed.

I hope Ramsay starts setting up Saw-like traps around Winterfell.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Dany can still get sick, it happened when she ate the shitberries she thought she saw someone maybe feed to a horse once. I laughed so hard at that part, it reminded me if those little red berries in the woods your parents always told you not to eat.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Dany can still get sick, it happened when she ate the shitberries she thought she saw someone maybe feed to a horse once. I laughed so hard at that part, it reminded me if those little red berries in the woods your parents always told you not to eat.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

hellbastard posted:

They still look delicious to me.

Ah the literal forbidden fruit, a metaphor for ~Daario~ who will not coincidentally also give people the shits.

Edit: that article was interesting but it was interesting to see someone who didn't like Theon's chapters.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

YES bread posted:

Disease and poison are kiiiind of different things.

Not when you are a dragon!! Dragons got fire kidneys and lava livers!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
gently caress oaths, Jaime Lannister style.

Jon was too stupid to pull it off. Two hours of planning my rear end.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah that is what I was saying, but my point was how would Jon know or care who Reek was in order for it to convince him it was Ramsay. Unless Mance had reason to suspect someone from Winterfell escaped and made it to the wall. But how ridiculous would it be if someone was like "Yeah, that can't be Ramsay, he doesn't even mention Reek in that letter! Usually he won't shut up about that guy!"

I don't think Jon needed convincing it was Ramsay's letter. He just assumed it was. I like to think Ramsay is just freaking out and has tortured a spearwife/Mance. Mance sending the letter is dumb and doesn't make much sense. I like Mance too but the dude's in some trouble right now, not setting up some masterstroke.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
"Words are wind" is just a more polite "your word is worth a mummer's fart".

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Obara is just chasing Darkstar to get the kingsguard killed, and to recruit Darkstar to the cause. You want the most dangerous man in Dorne, if not all of Westeros, on your side in a fight.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Penny is gay too, and a man, did.you miss that as well?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Barristan is like soft gay, everyone in this book is a homosexual

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Lester B. Pearson posted:

Where does it say Dolorous Edd is gay? I never thought of him that way.

I guess your not gay then.

e: but yeah 'dolorous' is a pretty big hint

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

So if the people "willing to go to" such lengths to purposefully not recognize a character's homosexuality aren't motivated by homophobia, what magical force is guiding them?

Bad reading abilities.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

enigma74 posted:

EActually if Dolorous Edd was gay, it would make perfect sense as to why Jon sent him away to be steward of the spearwife-only restored fort with Iron Emmett.

This is really funny in the typical Dolorous Edd way, because Jon might be thinking he's giving Edd a plum position to be surrounded by spearwives - where really Edd isn't into woman at all.

Pretty much. Edd never catches a fuckin break.

Unzip and Attack posted:

You know people who make the conscious effort to read poorly?

Yes. Me, that way I can be surprised on re reads.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I think it needs to be said again that most of the male homosexuality is only hinted at or mentioned in hushed tones, while female homosexuality is graphically depicted and absurdly fetishistic.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yep, I hate all minorities subconsciously and all you said was that Connington was gay - you didn't make any sort of assertions about the people who didn't catch that. You win!

Pretty much bro.

e: for the sake of actual content, is the chapter GRRM read from the other day available to read anywhere, or is only a synopsis out there?

e2: I think Benjen might be gay too.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 22, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Aren't you going to look dumb when Possible Gay Jon Connington describes his dream in which he plunges his griffin into Rhaegar's anus!!

The (non) argument was not that you guys are noted homophobes. That would be possible reason for missing the subtext, as shown in the TVIV threads when Renly was outed as a homosexual to the amazement of a bunch of gibbering retards. You guys were just accused of being bad readers, although missing subtext in a paragraph flashback by a minor POV is easy to do.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 22, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Habibi posted:

I think you meant to say 'Rhaegar's Roost.' Griffin plunges into the roost.

I knew I was missing something, thanks for that.

I hope Dany comes over in the next book, and whether she succeeds is irrelevant if only the two greatest characters get to meet up and be best bros/homosexual lovers.

Of course I am referring to Darkstar, sexually confused youth and Daario, possible bisexual (blue hair).

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ross posted:

Mayhaps I also suck at reading but I honestly haven't picked up on any of these characters being gay. Connington maybe if you really want to perceive him as a gay character, but I can't remember reading a single passage that made me think Renly/Loras/Blackfish/D.Edd are gay.

Blackfish - confirmed bachelor, refuses to marry
Renly and Loras - many other characters reference their gay love, especially Jaime and Littlefinger
D. Edd - Brother of the nights watch, has that vibe

I missed Renly being gay the first time I read it too, but I was as aforementioned, a bad reader, and young.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Mr.Brinks posted:

Uhh don't you think if Edd liked women he would have said so?

He's never been mentioned to go to Moles Town either. And Selmy pining over Ashara Dayne means little or less, Ashara is almost irresistible to every character that has interacted with her.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

In Westeros, it certainly is. I for one enjoyed figuring it out somewhere near the end of the first book and facepalming at the myriad of small hints that GRRM left for the reader along the way. Being hoodwinked by a good writer is fun - I don't know why it always has to be about homophobia.

Yeah as the last couple posters said hes not trying to hoodwink you and keep it a secret so much as none of the POVs are in a situation to check out Renly/Loras firsthand, and the comments are pretty blatant by book 2.

Its cool you like discovering deeper meanings and I don't think you're homophobic but GRRM doesnt mean it to be a puzzle.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

My favourite example of GoT-related goon witch hunting was when, around episode 5 or so, some guy said that people who don't like Arya are obviously misogynists who feel threatened by strong female characters, and a few pages later a different self-appointed defensor oppressorum popped up to claim that Arya-fans are obviously misogynists because "[they] only like female characters when they exhibit masculine traits" :wtc: (both statements were debated in earnest by the thread).

It bears repeating, if it wasn't sufficiently obvious already: engaging in Internet discussion, even in a heavily moderated environment like SA, absolutely demands a thick skin. Someone, somewhere, is almost guaranteed to take offence at your opinion, and being unable to ignore a baseless insinuation is a good recipe for wasting your day, or even ruining your mood.

I think the conclusion here is that all goons who enjoy fantasy are misogynistic simply by definition

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Daario moves into a tie with Darkstar as greatest character; Barristan reminisces and does a thing; Victarion tosses some gays overboard, burns women alive, bros out with a red priest and gets a zombie arm

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The Ashara is Lenore theory is nice and could be correct but one would think Tyrion, smartest man in the land, would notice she had purple eyes or something else to identify her. He outed Aegon and J-Con pretty quickly.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

kcroy posted:

Has noone noticed that Tyrion does a loving cartwheel?!?1111one

I thought GRRM had stayed really silent on the whole Backflip thing from book 1.. to see him do a cartwheel, I almost crapped myself.

How did he learn it again? His uncle taught him tumbling or some poo poo like that? Bet he can ride the pommel horse better than Cersei can ride the Kettleblacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

Why is it blind faith? Some of us actually like the last two books, you know.

Yeah, some people actually finished reading them too.

I thought Gerion went to Valyria to retrieve the Lannister ancestral sword.