Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
:spergin: :spergin:

On cliffhangers:

I think we need to separate two kinds of cliffhangers: the TILL NEXT TIME, BAT-FANS! cliffhangers (Brienne), which need to stop, and the inflection point cliffhangers, which are actually natural ending points for that part of the story. Jon's assassination is a clear catastrophe, exposing the tragic error of his approach to rule, as he massaged the egos of everyone except the group he ruled. Arya's blindness is the clear end of her initial training and the beginning of the next phase. Bran's final chapter is the end of his period as a warg and his first experience as a greenseer. He is now a different person, on a different journey, than he was before that moment.

I'd actually find the story of her first assassination to be more narratively unsatisfying, as she hadn't reached the end of any arc, but just sort of stopped partway (see also: Jaime's chapter in ADWD).

Tyrion's drowning doesn't fit in either of those categories, as it's narrative sleight of hand to more effectively hide the reveal of Connington's greyscale, as geeves already noted.

:spergin: :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Queej posted:

*Theon/Reek - I found these chapters to be highly disturbing, but I was glad that Theon's storyline was picked up again. Once again, we wanted him to get his comeuppance, but not like this....The Bastard of Bolton is the most vile person in any of the books.

What I want to know is how GRRM will try to make The Bastard a sympathetic character.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

oogyboogs posted:

It also confirms the connection between Euron and Bloodraven imo.

Could you elaborate on that one? I've never heard about any connection between the two before.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^^^
the "bed not seeing much use since stannis left" bit means either that they were sleeping together or that he was over at her place a lot and crashed there while she stayed up. The more crucial bit is that she seems to require semen to create the shadow creatures. Remember her offer to Davos, because the king had become too weak or something? (haven't read that bit in ages).

I don't think he should be judged, necessarily. Remember her powders for every occasion? There was something about a power for lust, I think. Quite possible that after the first few times, and Stannis's subsequent rationalizations that it's not illegal for Kings to have mistresses, and it's certainly not anything worse than he's already done (kinslaying).

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Making Bloodraven important is kind of obnoxious for the 90% of us who haven't read the short stories. Making him more important would be even more obnoxious. His role is fine now, but it shouldn't be expanded. If it is, he becomes a guy we hadn't heard about at all until the 5th book who is suddenly a major player.

You mean like Aegon?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We've never seen Sansa try to do anything other than play her role, whatever that role may be. During her captivity she's been taught how to lie well, how to persuade people who won't easily be swayed (Sweetrobin), has suffered a complete disillusionment with the social structure she is embedded in, and is being instructed by the first- or second-best plotter in the realm, who (for once) is genuinely interested in helping someone else. She's got all the tools to become a competent plotter if she's got the cunning and desire for it.

To be frank, we haven't seen anything to indicate whether she does or not. The next book is crucial to making her education plausible, and we're unlikely to have the requisite number of chapters to effectively portray the nurturing of any such attributes. Thanks for not realizing the five year gap sucked before you got stuck having to write around it, GRRM.

I wish he had devoted some of Dany's sucking to Sansa's actual apprenticeship instead. It could even be thematically appropriate as we contrast Dany's unrestrained caprice and Cersei's paranoiac rage with Sansa's careful introduction to the arts of politics and governance (remember that Littlefinger is extremely competent at running a bureaucracy relative to the rest of the nobility). Instead we get Daario and the brutal murder of Pretty the Pig.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nah. Mance Rayder's name is mentioned by someone else in AGOT, I'm pretty sure. Even if he's not:

1. Roose Bolton addresses Ramsay Bolton as "Bastard." It's the single most grievous insult Ramsay knows. Ramsay's also clearly not a good judge of character, as he thinks all of the men he's surrounded himself with are his instead of Roose's. He probably figured that "Bastard" would have the same effect on Jon it does on him.

2. Mance doesn't need to be caught, although he could be. Remember that some of the spearwives were likely caught. Flay enough of them and they're likely to say Mance's name at the least, even if they're not really saying anything else.

3. none of the rest indicates anybody other than Ramsay. The Sister-in-law/kid thing's got to have spread by now. You can't have thousands and thousands of Wildlings get smashed, then settled in the Gift, without it getting out somehow. Especially if he's got enough spearwives to skin he'll piece together something about a prominent wildling woman and make the same mistakes Stannis did regarding her status with the Wildlings.

Regarding the Iron Bank: Why would the Faceless Men be the arm of the bank, instead of vice versa?

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 11, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Of course, Manderly is also being forced to serve the people who killed his son, and would be ruled by the freakin' Boltons. It's not like gambling everything on the Starks is that insane given those circumstances.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

Misogyny is probably the silliest insult levied at the books. It has absolutely no footing anywhere. I know this was a joke post but people seriously argue this and I just laugh in their face, straight up.

pretty sure this was already linked, but: http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/ :allears: I feel like I walked into the bad thread when I read it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

people posted:

Maesters be Illuminating and poo poo

It seems that the Maesters didn't limit their scheming to controlling magic. Remember Lady Dustin's rant about how that Maester of Rickard Stark was working out the marriages to the Tullys and Baratheons? I wonder how much of that was a rogue maester's handiwork and how much influence Oldtown was exerting.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 13, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Right, close the thread, we've generated the equation of the meaning of life.

Date = 261.3*book^2 - 218.86*book isn't quite as elegant as 6*7=42, though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think by the time three years have gone by after ADWD's release, with no clear date for the next book's release, that The Bad Thread will return.

You really think it'll take three years? We already went through this song-and-dance twice. I say two years tops.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
One dragon she sort of controls, if by "controls" you mean "follows around eating the remains of its kills".

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

JohnnyDangerously posted:

grrm couldn't wipe his rear end in 2 years. Considering how complex the books have gotten, his terrible method of 'note-keeping' that relies on fan knowledge of events/people, and his exhaustive schedule of cons/pizza tasting, there's no way this book is out before 2014

I missed you bad thread :glomp:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Fog Tripper posted:

You make a good point. What gets me all :psyduck: is the chapter I am at now. Up till now he has been a quivering coward every time he has a chance to kill Ramsey, but suddenly that he believes Stannis is at Winterfell he is all "oh, how great it would be to die like a man with a sword in my hand!"

because suddenly he has faith that it might actually end instead of him just getting captured and tortured again.

e: oh, and reading the interview, this popped out:

Absolute Fucker posted:

But it wasn't very long after that site started and I was reading it and enjoying it that I began to say, I probably really shouldn't be reading this stuff. For one thing, they're generating so many theories, that some of those theories are bound to be right. What do I do if I'm setting up a mystery that I'm going to solve in book six, and people have already guessed this mystery as of book two and they're discussing - - do I change it? Do I say, oh my god, they've already guessed it, they're four books ahead of me, I better change what I'm planning. I think it's a mistake to do that, because that's what you've planned. All the clues and the foreshadowing and the super structure that you build is in place for that reveal, you can't change it just because someone's got it. So I sort of distance myself from the sites.

So seems like R+L=J and the like are still there, if he's not lying.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Tyrion Stark, secret Iron Man.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > A Dance With Dragons - where the old 'Cards post, the old ways linger

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, Season 3mkII is gonna end on the "Only Cat" scene. at which point Brienne might have, maybe started her search.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think this thread's harder to get through than any Dany chapter.

I'd rather read The Bad Thread, honestly.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Look at this babby who didn't know to level up buttboy before the GRRMfight :smug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I think the idea is that she'd be hoping Euron hosed everything up. Then with Victarion out of the way and the other candidates having been discredited, she'd be the only choice left.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You forgot the ~*~*~*Golden Mustachios~*~*~*

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
"Including a never-before-published story set in the world of Sookie Stackhouse!"

:stare:

:frog:

Absolute Fucker.

Well, what card deck would the fantasy version of a reimagined gritty superhero universe be?

That's right. We're the Trump Cards now.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 12, 2011

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd say that Winter is Coming is the best of the lot, actually. Very little skill but its lack of perspective is rather iconic where the others are just lame.

Except the Bronies. Those are abominations that must be cleansed with dragonfire.

except for Ned Stark. He has already paid the price:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No, Theon's PENIS is a secret Baratheon. God :rolleyes:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Maytag posted:

Ten pages of people trolling about Theon's dick.

Trolling? You misunderstand. Theon's dick is a metaphor for the series' core theme: the lost hope and joy of its audience.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
from the TVIV thread:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

YES bread posted:

Nope she kept loving him pretty much up until the day Jaime got back.

Until the day Lancel got grievously wounded during the Battle of Blackwater. So roughly around the time Jaime got released.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mikey triumph posted:

If this guy pulls a Geoffrey Chaucer on us I'm going to write the last two books myself.

Kylaer already did this.

VaultAggie posted:

I think Littlefinger is the only character [other than Motherfucking BRONN] to progress his status throughout the entire series, another reason why he loving owns.

This Man Speaks Truth

mikey triumph posted:

The worst part about ADWD for me was not getting to find out what Petyr and Sansa are getting up to in the Vale (probably loving poo poo up for "The Man")

I don't think he's loving up "The Man's" poo poo :pedo: (Why yes I find a man who happens to be an hebephile awesome. When compared to a certain fan-favorite who murdered a whore because she turned out not to love him, I think the choice is clear :colbert:)

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was AFFC/ADWD. This is getting amusing.

I don't think you quite get yet.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We've been over this. He had to fix a fuckup he made with a timeskip he intended to insert, and then spent five years reworking the plot and doing the usual "write a ton of words that you'll edit down after everything's set up" thing, and then whoops it's been five years and he has to poo poo a book out. So instead of eating red berries he just handed them what he'd actually written with a beginning/middle/end, figuring he'd hand in the rest a year later. Course then he couldn't just release 200 pages of everyone's favorite characters after giving them 800 of people they didn't give a poo poo about (and Littlefinger and Jaime) so he had to pad it out by adding neeps and the case of the missing whore.

e: someone draw up a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys-style "The Case of the Missing Whore" book cover.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Did I say it excused it? I'm explaining why he padded poo poo out. The teats bit was because GRRM is a perv and needed to entertain himself while he padded the piece-moving out.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Please. If crucifixion and the slaughter of every male infant in Bethlehem couldn't keep baby Jesus down, a little Linkin Park and cutting to feel the pain isn't gonna do him in.

You're all still Hitler though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

He basically said that 6-7 years ago when Robert Jordan said he was dying as a great big gently caress you to fans because he is an absolute fucker. A beloved (and productive) fantasy writer was sentenced to death, and Gurm's response was to, as a petulant child, bitch that no nobody would ever finish HIS series, because people dared question him about his health as a 60+ year old fatass.

To be a horrible wildcard and defend Gurm for a bit, it was in response to everyone saying "oh you HAVE to write the books faster now because you could end up like Robert Jordan!"

He was being an rear end in a top hat to assholes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

my cat is norris posted:

:psyboom:

Did anyone make that Nancy Drew thing yet? I started last night but didn't get very far.

Edit: gently caress it, Photoshop is too hard for this kinda poo poo and I don't want to manually PAINT things. Just use your imaginations.

Gurm demands the sacrifice of your delicious human meat your free time and sanity. It is the true purpose of the Wild Card.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, I'll bite. How is ASOIAF≈The Once and Future King less valid than ASOIAF≈LotR? The haphazard world-building, the emphasis on character and theme over coherence of backstory, etc.

Now that's bullshit because TOAFK is perhaps the crowning achievement of English-language Fantasy while GRRM couldn't write a paragraph even approaching White even if he gave up NFL and not-blogging in the attempt. But there are at least as many valid comparisons between GRRM/THW as there are between GRRM/JRRT.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You've been waiting to use that sentence ever since you discovered Dolorous Edd was a hard gay poltergeist. That's not the kind of free-form genius this work of art requires.

Allow me to demonstrate true virtuosity:

"Bloodraven woke up like he did every other morning - bark hard."

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
IRQ is, in fact, Dolorous Edd.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

And sex crimes laws, Gurm loves breaking those.

e: and deadlines, he breaks deadlines like nobody's motherfucking business!

e2: And chairs, belts, suspenders, the seats of pants, etc.

don't forget the laws of fashion:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Jakabite posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed to have to ask, but who is it actually sitting the Iron Throne in that picture? I wish I could recognise more characters.

Is there a chance that the guy with the bow and the crow is Qhorin? The crow doesn't seem to be exactly sitting on his shoulder, could just be flying by?

Iron Throne is Aegon I, either side of him are his sister-wives. Bow/crow is Bloodraven.

Ones I'm unsure of are as follows:

Osha, maybe?

completely at a loss here.

I'd say this is Tyrion but he looks so ridiculously old that I'm not sure.

only one I can think of is Daario, but no mustachios or beard.

Arya? Maybe? but she looks too old and the sword isn't needle, I don't think.

Yeah, who the gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No, Joffrey's the smug poo poo between Jaime/the Hound/Tywin/Cersei/Tommen/Myrcela.