Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

FMguru posted:

Dorne has a different culture than the rest of Westeros (it's Royneish, not Andal) so they do things differently there, and they were never conquered by the Targaryans, so they've maintained some of their cultural distinction. I think in Dorne the first-born child inherits, unlike the rest of the land where it's the first-born male child.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought greyscale wasn't contagious? Otherwise, why would Shireen be allowed at the Wall?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If that means Ser Barristan gets to hang out with the Shavepate, I'm fine with that. Those two made Dany's chapters worth reading.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Can someone explain why that one lady was so hostile to the Starks? This is the lady who wanted Theon to take her into the stark crypt then she bitched about Brandon for a while before saying that she was going to feed Ned's bones to her dogs. I didn't really get why she was so hostile.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Preechr posted:

She really, really wanted to be a Stark. She was loving Brandon Stark for a while, and then he got married to Catelyn. She figured she'd settle for Ned, but then Brandon got killed, and Catelyn took Ned, too.

Oh, I see. So she's just bitter that she couldn't be a Stark?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I don't think it's Benjen because it's too obvious and if it was Benjen, why didn't he reveal himself to Bran? As for Catelyn, she's causing mayhem in the Riverlands, which we don't see at all in this book except for Jaime's POV.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought Aemon had died already? Considering I skim through Samwell's chapters, I may be misremembering.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm slightly optimistic that AFFC can actually be interesting on screen. I think I'd much rather enjoy watching Brienne walk around Westeros instead of reading about it. Not to mention the awesome Dorne chapters and Cersei's descent into insanity.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think Littlefinger is the only character to progress his status throughout the entire series, another reason why he loving owns.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

bigmcgaffney posted:

No one brings up Bran's two chapter escapade with Benjen "Cockhands" Stark and friends because it sucked. The Bloodraven reveal is stupid as gently caress. Maybe someone cares about dunkin omelette or whatever the the gently caress it was but I don't. It also ties into the WORLDBUILDING bullshit about a couple of whores' saggy tits and I can't forgive GRRM for that one.

Bran has sucked since he fell of the wall.

Arya's ADWD chapters were cool though.

Bran has been consistently boring as gently caress since book 1. However, I actually liked his two chapters in ADWD because the children of the forest were pretty interesting and now we can get more explanations into what the Others are.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

geeves posted:

Euron is totally going to fist Dany with his magic arm and control her like a puppet for her dragons. Dragonbinder is a red herring.

You mean Victorian? :smug:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Oh god no more Sam. He is the most worthless character. All he does is whine and complain about everything in the world.

Yeah his chapters are so loving boring to read. I get it, you're fat, now move the gently caress on.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Barristan. He hosed up assholes and bitch slapped the pansy rear end king. His chapters owned hard. :colbert:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Stannis is a giant douchebag who tried to sacrifice his own nephew for some poo poo Mel told him. He's no saint either.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He outwitted Varys and Littlefinger when he was sending off Myrcella.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I wish I read reddit more often to understand what the gently caress is happening on that sight. I clicked the link and still have no clue what's going on at that page.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

IRQ posted:

I actually haven't read it, I did see the first movie though, and not even for a good reason like why I saw The Hunger Games movie.

There was a Twilight hate thread in TBB awhile back that explained just how goddamn creepy and hosed up those books are.

Also this.

Do you have the link to this thread? I'd love to go through it. :allears:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What about Malazan?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Azure_Horizon posted:

It starts out good then quickly becomes way, way, way, way too grandiose in the sheer amount of characters to keep track of that the story becomes ridiculously convoluted. Tracking the timeline of what's happening when is a nightmare, and by the end of ten novels you're left with very few characters to actually give a poo poo about.

The best part about the novels are the Bridgeburners, and they ultimately don't play a large role.

drat, that's a bummer. I'm stuck halfway through the first one because I don't really have a clue what the hells happening anymore. At least with Grrm I can understand the characters intent and the world around them. Malazan is a giant :psyduck: for me so far but is it worth finishing?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Demiurge4 posted:

With the whole Jon Snow bit going on for a few pages I thought I'd weigh in with my own theory. Basically Rhaegar Targaryan was way into poetry and music and its mentioned in one of the books that one day he came down from the library and said something along the lines of "it seems I have to be a warrior". Rhaegar got his hands on some prophecy and decided that either he or his son would be the one to defeat the white walkers. He kidnapped Lyanna Stark because the saviour had to have the blood of the old men. He was remorseful about kidnapping and raping her, and Ned rescued the baby and pretended it was his own son so King Robert wouldn't murder it.

A case could be made that Jon isn't a true Targaryan because he got burned by the torch, but the same is true of Dany's poo poo brother.

Don't forget about Quentyn. :shepface:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What does that make Tywin then? the Mayors best friend who kicks Rhaegar out of school?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm waiting for her to finally land in Westeros then start torching random people because she doesn't know what any of the banners mean and who they stand for.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Contra Calculus posted:

Jon Snow is actually Dany, Brienne, Darkstar, Victarion, and Sandor.

Think about it: have any of those people ever been in the exact same room or place together? No! Why is this? Because they're all the same people.

Berric Dondarrion is also actually Catelyn Stark and Sansa is also really Aegon. Arya is actually Chett and Varamyr Sixskins.

Sorry folks. My awful sense of humor is a little worse than usual today
Wasn't Sandor at Winterfell when rob rode up with his posse?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Vermithrax, plus he has the coolest name. Get the gently caress outta here with that drogon poo poo.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He overheard Robert talking about putting Bran out of his misery, so he thought it would impress dad. I think?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Didn’t they release that Adama prequel? Blood and chrome or some poo poo like that. Doesn’t give me much hope or enthusiasm for this Westeros prequel.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Kylaer posted:

Hello Bad Thread, I come to you with a quandary. This isn't the right thread for this, but gently caress it, it's book-related and this is my posting home when it comes to books, I've been shitposting about GRRM for a decade now.

When I was an IRL stupid newbie, at the age of...8, probably, although I'm not sure, maybe I was 7, the first full-length chapter book not written for kids that I read was Timothy Zahn's Dark Force Rising, because it said Star Wars on the cover and even then I was a budding nerd. It wasn't the first book in its trilogy but that's why "stupid" is part of "stupid newbie," and of course I subsequently read the first book, and the third, and then re-read them many times, among much other trash genre sci/fi. I haven't read a Star Wars book since the early 2000s or so, the New Jedi Order series never appealed to me and I lost interest in the setting. But nostalgia keeps Zahn and his books as an entirely positive memory, and his villain character, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is imprinted deeply upon my nerd heritage. Even today I rank Thrawn as one of the most memorable villains I've read about.

Just in the past couple of days I found out that Zahn has, in recent years, written not one, but four books focused on Thrawn, with two more planned. And thus I am faced with the question of whether or not I should read them.

I know, I know, that nostalgia is a poison. You don't wish for what you had "back then," you wish for who you were "back then." Trying to retread the paths of the past leads only to disappointment and sadness.

And yet, still, I am tempted to read them. Thoughts? :dawkins101:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=692

This thread should help with that. As far as the latest Thrawn books, it kinda depends. The first one in the new trilogy is pretty good, the second is meh, and I haven’t read the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Prestons videos making GBS threads on the last few seasons of GoT were fantastic and some of the best content he’s put out.