Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Rock is too drat big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A really big rock is at some point just a mountain.

Building your fortress into a mountain is cool, but it’s a different kind of cool than having a monolith as your fortress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What even is there for the Jon Snow story to cover?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tyrion Lannister was sitting on the ledge above the door to the Great Hall, looking for all the world like a gargoyle. The dwarf grinned down at him. "Is that animal a wolf?"

"Too hot, too noisy, and I'd drunk too much wine," the dwarf told him. "I learned long ago that it is considered rude to vomit on your brother. Might I have a closer look at your wolf?"

Jon hesitated, then nodded slowly. "Can you climb down, or shall I bring a ladder?"

"Oh, bleed that," the little man said. He pushed himself off the ledge into empty air. Jon gasped, then watched with awe as Tyrion Lannister spun around in a tight ball, landed lightly on his hands, then vaulted backward onto his legs.

Ghost backed away from him uncertainly.

The dwarf dusted himself off and laughed. "I believe I've frightened your wolf. My apologies."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree has been confirmed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Check this out, they made a whole rear end show: https://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Yeah but the book and show canon differ.

In the book canon, Dany is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, brought to Starfall by Ned and swapped for Brandon and Ashara’s baby, Jon.

Arthur Dayne survived and became known as Qorin Halfhand. Rhaegar was allowed by Ned to take the black, deserted, and is now known as Mance Rayder.

Ashara is the Dusky Woman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Pink Letter was written by the fat man whose plan changes every time the moon turns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Florents deserve Highgarden.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He likes that vampire look.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the end, Robert was the black dragon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s got a couple years left till he its the life expectancy at birth for U.S. males.

A random U.S. man who is already seventy‐four years old would be expected to live to about his eighty‐sixth birthday.

Now those are figures for a generic man, not one of his wealth, or race, or body mass, and the table I used is notably from 2019. I’m not his life insurance agent; I just want to point out that life expectancy at birth isn’t particularly meaningful when talking about older people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The wedding of Dany and Drogo was sexually exciting for at least one silver‐haired male.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvbDIq112Ms&t=265s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing that I am waiting for is for Leyton Hightower to descend from his eponymous stronghold and have a wizard duel with Euron Greyjoy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WATCH JON START A loving PLAGUE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Say what you want about GRRM’s series currently ending in its main text with Dany’s account of diarrhœa, at least he hasn’t wrapped up the books with the main character pondering whether his slave will bring him a sandwich.

quote:

“That wand’s more trouble than it’s worth,” said Harry. “And quite honestly,” he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four- poster bead lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, “I’ve had enough trouble for a lifetime.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bone emulator posted:

I can't believe there's more than a dozen new posts and the Fucker is not dead/ published a new Mercy chapter

Yeah but check out his toy.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/03/29/dragons-dragons-everywhere/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hot D was better show than TLoU.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least The Princess and the Queen contains a story that can be adapted to television.

I don’t know how they expect to turn Aegon’s Conquest into something watchable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One good idea I heard is that the story should be told primarily from the perspective of the Seven Kings.

Or however you count them. One was a queen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m hoping that the Incident at the Coronation was the show runners suffering from acute action withdrawal and that with actual scripted battles between Blacks/Greens/proxies taking place, while they might depict these battles inelegantly, they’re not going to take a wrecking ball to the general structure of the plot to get their action fix in.

The scene with Damon drawing out the Crabfeeder’s men is not all that well written or choreographed, but it’s self‐contained succ. It doesn’t corrode the rest of the show.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Preston gave more thought to that plot point (and many others) than GRRM did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Life imitates art.

Lannisters come out on top even when they shouldn’t.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iamsosmrt posted:

What is the reference of the fat pink mists? Lannisters is lame but it seems like a default victory for people who don't get it.

It’s from Sam’s fourth chapter in A Feast for Crows, the sex scene with Gilly aboard the Cinnamon Wind.

quote:

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Double spacing should have died with the typewriter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm going to start using 3 spaces after a period to spite you nerds. How's it feel?

Pathetic, because all the extra white space is collapsed when displayed.   Try harder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Words are wind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George lost a ton of weight recently.

He’s not a double for Illyrio anymore.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1625873177946607616

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George can’t finish the story, but he can’t admit to himself or anyone else that he can’t finish the story.

Everyone would be happier if he hired someone else to do it and retired to the Canary Islands or whatever he wants to do in his dotage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bran himself is the TEC though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All anyone else knows is what Bran has told them, so they accidentally confirm his mistaken identification of the TEC with Bloodraven in their minds and in his own.

The CotF are not familiar with “the three‐eyed crow”.

quote:

"No. They killed him long ago. Come now. It is warmer down deep, and no one will hurt you there. He is waiting for you."

"The three-eyed crow?" asked Meera.

"The greenseer." And with that she was off, and they had no choice but to follow. Meera helped Bran back up onto Hodor's back, though his basket was half-crushed and wet from melting snow. Then she slipped an arm around her brother and shouldered him back onto his feet once more. His eyes opened. "What?" he said. "Meera? Where are we?" When he saw the fire, he smiled. "I had the strangest dream."

Even Bloodraven is confused by it and thinks that Bran is asking him if he is a man of the Night’s Watch.

quote:

"Are you the three-eyed crow?" Bran heard himself say. A three-eyed crow should have three eyes. He has only one, and that one red. Bran could feel the eye staring at him, shining like a pool of blood in the torchlight. Where his other eye should have been, a thin white root grew from an empty socket, down his cheek, and into his neck.

"A … crow?" The pale lord's voice was dry. His lips moved slowly, as if they had forgotten how to form words. "Once, aye. Black of garb and black of blood." The clothes he wore were rotten and faded, spotted with moss and eaten through with worms, but once they had been black. "I have been many things, Bran. Now I am as you see me, and now you will understand why I could not come to you … except in dreams. I have watched you for a long time, watched you with a thousand eyes and one. I saw your birth, and that of your lord father before you. I saw your first step, heard your first word, was part of your first dream. I was watching when you fell. And now you are come to me at last, Brandon Stark, though the hour is late."

e: Also Coldhands

quote:

Meera's gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. "Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?"

"A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last greenseer." The longhall's wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Coldhands did not move.

"A monster," Bran said.

The ranger looked at them as if the rest of them did not exist. “Your monster, Brandon Stark.”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 2, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The North should be totally reliant on southron granaries when winter comes, if not outright uninhabitable, but I’m pretty sure that that’s not what Martin was thinking, and it’s not why Cregan knelt.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 6, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George tosses the five‐year gap.

Stannis’ army was wrecked at the Blackwater.

George need Stannis to rout the wildlings and threaten the Boltons.

“Somehow, the Mountain Clans returned.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George foreshadowed the end of the series in the first book.

Rocks fall; everyone dies.

Common Red Comet ‘W’.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pidan posted:

Yeah I might take back that last one. I was thinking about how even the city people and nobles should run out of food pretty quickly if they get all the peasants killed, but I think that does come up a few times. Riots in King's Landing and such.

Not in Fire & Blood it doesn’t.

The Riverlands fight three kingdoms at the same time, on their own territory, lose catastrophically in many battles, but the muppets just keep coming up with more troops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cersei slayed more kings than anyone, and it’s not even close.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sub Niggurath implies the existance of Dom Niggurath.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The analysis that Quentyn is still alive at the end of A Dance with Dragons is decently supported from the text.

However, there’s no way that George intended that.

The answer to “there’s inconsistencies in the text!” isn’t usually that there’s some deep subtextual structure that explains everything. It’s that George is an inconsistent writer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jon is dead.

He’s just liable to stop being dead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Pink Letter was probably intended to be written by Ramsay and that’s probably what George will stick with, as opposed to say the lemon tree in Bravos that he seems to be turning from an author error into an actual twist, or the catspaw’s employer that I think that he left open for himself and not very convincingly tried to tie up later.

If not Ramsay, my candidate is Melisandre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George has been using that fan‐made cover art for more than seven years.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 24, 2023