Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've decided to start a re-read of the ASOIAF series, starting with the "a knight of the seven kingdoms" because I never read that. I haven't seen the last two seasons of the show because I'm a nerd who'd hoped to get to read the books first, but pretty soon I'm just going to binge them. Then I discovered that there was a thread here for goons.

Anyone else read Knight Seven Kingdoms? I'm about 30 pages in so far and it's pretty dope. It's linear and easier to follow than A Game of Thrones is, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Urdnot Fire posted:

The Dunk and Egg stories are fantastic, and I am legitimately far more upset that we're forever denied the story where they go to Winterfell and Dunk hooks up with Young Nan far more than I am never reading TWOW and ADOS.

Speaking of never reading books 6 and 7, I Googled the author just the other day. He's 70. I didn't realize that he was that old. If he lives to be 90 and learns to write again, we might one day get the last two books. But I don't know. I'm sad. I'm sad because as good as the show is, there are lots of interesting plot/sub-plots/sub-sub-plots that we'll never get. Imagine telling show watchers "hey yo, Dany and Jonny aren't the only Targaryens, possibly."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man he's literally 70? I remember looking that up and shaking my head, knowing I'd never get to read A Dance With Dragons, because the author was 60 and not writing poo poo. Fuckin' lmao that that was 10 years ago.

To be fair, he simultaneously looks great for 70, yet terrible in general. But yea, dude is 70 years old.

Speaking of old people writing books, anyone read that 300 years of targaryan stuff? I'm thinking of getting it to add to my collection. I collect that poo poo. Speaking of collector's poo poo, I have a blue hardback slipcase version of A Game of Thrones that is a Barnes and Noble exclusive. Does anyone know if that format exists for the other books? I think it's just the first one, but I'd love a whole set of them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

"All him the new king Jim Targaryen, the first of his name."

MrFlibble posted:

Fire and Blood? I read it. It has a lot of cool sounding ideas and stuff in it but sitting down and reading it is only for people with a very specific interest in fake history - I don't think anyone who doesn't enjoy wiki background information type stuff will get much out of it.

Yea that's the one. And I'd assumed it be a real dry read about the Targ family tree. I'll probably get it just to have it and flip through it on the toilet once in a while. I do have that "World of Ice and Fire" big hard back almanac thing which is pretty cool, and also the "Lands of Ice and Fire" big box of nerd maps.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember my first read through and I'd gotten to Tyrion where he was described as a dwarf. Then I spent 3/4 of the rest of the book waiting to read more about dwarves and maybe elves. Only for it to dawn on me that Tyrion is a dwarf in the literal sense and not a fantasy race. My first impression of Tyrion was that he was an ugly beardless Gimli.

Edit: Also, at leat when it was "Kevan" Lannister, which is totally a made up fantasy name with no relation to Kevin. Also Jon, lol.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I made the mistake of going back and reading the last two page of posts. I guess ya'll were discussing GRRM buttbanging his woman, PA R. R. IS? They both have 2 Rs see. It's good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kinda hoping the Iron Bank send mercs to the DanJon side of the war just to gently caress over the lovely debt-owing Lannisters.

Once character I really had hoped to see in the series was Victarion Greyjoy. I love that dude! Wears full plate on the deck of a boat because "gently caress it, don't care if I drown" and is just an all around badass. Instead we get this limpdick amalgamation of Euron and Victarion in the show version of Euron.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solice Kirsk posted:

If the stupid spoilers are to be believed, The North and Dany basically walk through the Golden Company, but lose a dragon in the process. Also kinda wondering what good a fleet would do since nearly all the fighting is going to be taking place on land and away from the coasts. I'm assuming Asha/Yara is gonna have a big ol' sea battle in Theon's honor or something to make it relavent to anything at all going on.

And Tyrion is going to pay Bronn double to not kill him and that's why he gets the Twins at the end of the show. But the writers may have forgot about that as well.

Yarsha vs Euron would be a good battle for the show. Have we even had a real ship to ship battle yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the thread consensus of how the books rate? For me, the second book is my least favorite, and I actually love love love AFFC and Slam Dancing w Dragons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While I'm at it, does anyone else love the Witcher novels as much as these books? I do, but I think i'm one of the few.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I figured I was in the minority, but I really liked books 4 and 5. I like how I get to see what's happening to the common folk in book 4, and book 5 has lots of cool mini-stories and adventures with Tyrion and Jon. Also, both books have lots of Jaime Lannister being a bad rear end and decent tactician. Jaime has always been my favorite character, as he's the first literary character I went from hating to loving in any work of fiction. Granted, I haven't read a lot of fantasy, but that's my take.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I liked a lot of Dorne and was really hoping that the Dornish head dude (I forget his name, Oberyn's brother) would turn out to be a cool scheming bad rear end. But I also like the sand snakes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Katt posted:

Jon taking the Night Watch to settle his personal family score in the books is kind of jarring and when he gets stabbed to death for it my thought was "yeah that's fair I guess"

It's been a few years, but I was pretty sure Jon got stabbed because of the whole "lets wildlings south of the wall" thing. I thought the Arya mission was just a cherry on the pie. I was super impressed by how competent he was as a Lord Commander, overall though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always think Eddard absolutely got what was coming to him. He was WAY too honest and straightforward and I have no idea how he made it that far in the world as it is. Robb, however, is a different story. I absolutely do not believe that the Freys wouldn't have betrayed him if he'd kept his promise. The Freys aligned with the house they thought would win the war, and used Robb's dumb marriage as a pretext.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, but that just sort of shifts the "dumb move" pin to "trusting them in the first place" rather than "thinking they're really totally ok with this compromise marriage"

Robb definitely made some dumb moves, but I think his sins are more forgiveable. He's young and he's been dunking on the Lannister's this entire time while his men constantly fellate him as the King in the North. Why wouldn't he think he could get away with breaking his marriage pact to the Freys? It's still dumb, but he's young and has a lot to learn. Robb didn't die at the red wedding because he deserved it, he died because the story needed it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He could have just killed the freys the first time. Okay we're half across the twins, get 'em now boys. Every non-lannister house seems to have bannerman that are obtuse and villainous to the extreme, if only Robb had noticed he could have handled his own dreadfort and the rest on the way down.

Yea, but that's completely counter to what Robb aimed to achieve. His original goal was just to free his dad. After that, his next goal was to fight for the right to be left alone. Robb was never going to off other houses just for his safety, unless they struck first.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

game of thrones properties better than the show:

the mod for ck2
the mod for mount and blade
the books.

Whoa, there’s a GoT mod for mount and blade? Please send me it! Is it good?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Savage af.

What was Jojen and Meeras dad’s name? The bad rear end shortman who knows who Jon’s parents are? I can’t remember, but he’s going to be awesome when he arrives in the books!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Know what I liked in the show? The "Hodor" reveal about how he went weird and got his name. Has there been any confirmation from GRRM if that was supposed to happen that way in the books?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bobby Digital posted:

That was one of the three big OMG moments GRRM told D&D.

Any notes on what the other two are? I'm guessing one of them is R+L=J?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Katt posted:

I would never have guessed 25. Book hound for me was played by Vinnie Jones

How many dragons survived the battle? Does Danny still have 2?

Vinnie Jones would make a better Bronn. Speaking of, wtf isn't he in the show? He'd be fantastic no matter what he played as.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I had mixed feelings about the characters being aged up in the show:

On one hand, it sucks because of course I want to see the people I've been picturing in my head. Ned should've looked 35ish and had black hair, King Robby B should've been taller ( I pictured the dude who played Bluto in the Robin Williams Popeye movie.) and etc.

On the other hand, the actors they have I like a lot, and I think it'd be really weird actually having to sit through all the torture, rape, and sex scenes with children younger than my son.

I also think the guy who played Benjen looked more like Ned in my head, and with white hair would also look like a great Geralt in the upcoming Witcher series.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In 2042 when all seven books are out, i'll be glad to go online to find a nice, concise list of all the book/show differences. For the most part though, there are just as many show changes that I like more than the books as vice versa.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In regards to Stannis vs Roose: as for the book story, it doesn't matter who wins. I imagine Stannis will smash his army up against Roose's and everyone/most everyone will die and we'll be back to the personal vendettas between Ramsay and Jon Snow and whatever. And while there's lots of folks who poo poo on the author or the later books, I like most of the book subplots are interesting to me, like the Alayne stuff with Arya, all the weird Viking wannabe Greyjoy poo poo, and the whole "Dorne wants to crown Myrcella because her mom's a raging psychopath" sub plot.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with those sub-plots, I think the frustration is rather than moving along the story for the main characters, the author started introducing sub-plots. I feel like there's a least some crossover with the WoT readership, and Jordan went loving berserk with poo poo that didn't matter all that much, and therefore books that barely moved forward. Jordan at least kept pumping out books till he died.

Feast and Dance took 5 and 6 years respectively, and not that much happens across the two books, because of so much new stuff. Winter is taking 8 years so far. If we assume current trends continue, there's no loving way a 70-year-old fatman is getting to the end of his 9 book series. Which means it will be finished more than likely by that consumate hack, Sanderson.

Speaking of which, I heard the Sanderson books were actually good? I only read the first three WoT books, however, because I can only stomach so much "magic lady tugs her braid" poo poo.

I also think the idea that the main plot hasn't moved forward in the Martin books is a bit hyperbolic. It's definitely slowed down and been fattened up, but poo poo is still happening and characters are still going from point A to B, either geographically or in regards to their characters. That said, one thing the show has going for it is brevity and I really like how the show handles some of these sub plots. The show, if nothing else, has been very good at respecting a viewer's time, but also hasn't fallen into the trap of skimping on the slower scenes and more dialogue heavy poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s wrong with making a prostitute a POV character?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually forgot Ros was a character not originally in the books.

My girlfriend and I are going through all of the show together starting back with episode 1. She never saw last season 4 and I stopped at season 6 because getting divorced sucks. It’s neat seeing again how good of an adaptation the show was when it started, and how some scenes were ripped literally from the pages, like the classic “Eddard under the Weirwood” scene.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dangerllama posted:

“J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!”

I laughed at this. No one is loving reading his blog because they want football updates.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone play the GoT mod for CK2? It good?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven’t read the last 145 or so posts so what I’m going to say next may be extremely “duh.” But with Dany getting more and more unhinged and Jon Snow’s real heritage, I think back to the prophecy of The Prince Who Was Promised. In that prophecy, Azor Ahai only created his sword and gained his power or whatever when he plunged he forged his sword and quenched it in his wife’s heart. Part of the prophecy is that the Prince, whoever it is, will kill someone they love dearly. Jon Snow will be the one to kill Dany, making him fulfill the rest of the prophecy and her the biggest red herring in fiction.

Has this been worked out already?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

George R R Martin has been quoted as saying the ending for the books will be very “bitter sweet.” Man I hope Jon kills Dany!

Also fwiw, I still like the show. It’s not as good as the books, but it never was. I hope The Witcher on Netflix will be as good as this show was.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did the show ever go into Rhaegar’s children’s names? I’m curious if Jon being an Aegon is intentional as in a second character with that name, or if he only has that name in the show because the whole Young Griff/Connington storyline was cut?

Edit: in the books, are Jon Snow and Young Griff about the same age?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 6, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I truly think the death of Cersei will happen as it was supposed to in the books. It's too big a thing for Martin to not have told them and for them to stick to. Jaime will kill Cersei (maybe even accidentally) fulfilling her prophecy from Maggy the Frog, and Jon will kill Dany, just like foretold when Azor Ahai killed Nissan Nissan.

As for Arya, she'll kill Sandor after he kills the Mountain.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

She’ll kill the mountain and then leave Sandor to die. It was foreshadowed. This also will fulfill the “cleganebowl is disappointing” spoiler

I super hope you're wrong. I actually hope I'm wrong. Arya don't need to kill no one else. Maybe she'll just go and join the faceless men and this time actually become "nobody."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's one with Kit Harington where they ask him to describe the final season in a word and he says "disappointing" and the interviewer looks taken aback so he goes "hhahaaha no i mean epic" and it's like how much of that is him trying to catch her off guard and how much of that is "joking not joking tho"

I never read into any of that stuff. My Kit expected a super happy ending and didn't get it. Or maybe he's genuinely disappointed. Or neither.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really hope that the end of the books will switch the order around, or make Cersei sympathetic and willing to help the North defeat the white walkers. Or at least do a better job of why she's so drat evil. She isn't the least bit sympathetic in the show, which is why a big part of the books works, because most of the villains are relatable in some way. Ramsay is the only one I can think of as irredeemable. Joffrey is just a bratty kid with too much power and Theon is just a dude whose super confused about daddy issues. They are unforgivable acts, but they are forgiveable characters. Not so with Cersei. She's willing to chance the entire 7 kingdoms being plunged into darkness so she can be Queen.

i am the bird posted:

Holy poo poo.

Also, I would say the foreshadowing in this episode suggests that Arya is going to give the Hound a merciful death unlike the last time they parted ways. It’s ~character growth~ and the two boners in inside the bones will say:

“In this scene, Arya gives the Hound the mercy of death. In their last scene, she didn’t. In episode 4, they talked again and she said she would leave him to die, but this shows character growth because Arya didn’t leave him to die and instead gave him the mercy of death, unlike when they were together last time. She did it this time because she grew as a character.”

This is actually believable. Sandor kills the Mountain but is also mortally wounded, and Arya finishes him off, which as you said restores her arc, and finishes her list. I like it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone have any experience with the Game of Thrones LCG? I had spent about $800 collecting cards for the first edition, and now apparently they are incompatible with the new rules. Are there any rule supplements that allow them to be integrated into the newer system? No big deal if not, I'll just play 1st edition and say gently caress it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mike N Eich posted:

The greatest trick GRRM ever pulled was not only getting all of us to complain about his lovely books and the lovely books he's not writing, but also about a terrible no-good TV show he isn't even involved in anymore

the man is a top notch troll. just the top fuckin echelon

When I dislike things, I rarely if ever engage in any discussion of them. But I love the books and quite like the show and the only problem I have with the author is that it looks like he's going to eat himself into an early grave before finishing the books that, clearly, he owes me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Unormal posted:

Lightbringer stabbing wont be jon and dany itll be ceircie and jamie.

Jaimie/Cersie already have their own prophecy to fulfill. And so far Jon has actually unknowingly been doing all the things he's prophesiced to do, like pull the sword out of a fire and, you know...dying and coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Refresh me, is Gendry the last Baratheon? I forget.