Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Wall is made out of the dead brothers of Jon and Ramsey Snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VDay posted:

You know what's more annoying to a book reader than the occasional minor spoiler? Having people constantly come in here and tell us how it's inevitable that we'll get spoiled and how we should just stop reading this thread and just go read a bunch of books that we have no interest in reading.

This line of thought is completely alien to me.
How can people be so heavily invested in a television show adapted from a novel that's widely accepted as being far superior and were well acclaimed before the adaptation yet have no interest whatsoever in the source material? It's not like the books are difficult to read or have insanely long chapters so you have to put it down half way through one often. If it were something like Lord of the Rings that is as much a study in a non existent language as it is a novel I could understand.

I currently have a friend who is trying to finish A Clash of Kings (She's just at the Blackwater) and get to the Red Wedding (She knows it's a massive event but not what it actually is) before the show on June the second. That seems incredibly doable even at a slow pace to me. You could probably do it at a chapter a day pace, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Currently in the show thread, it seems like talking about eating semen based recipes is acceptable, but talking about lemon cakes is not.
They're an odd bunch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

While GRRM eats a baby? You really think so lowly of him?

He would polish off two, minimum.

Only after he spends four weeks per serving writing about how the baby looked, tasted, who brought it to him and all of the other food wankery the fat bastard does.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The people who believe William Shakespeare was a pseudonym given to a group of anonymous playwrights are the worst sort of people, I thought I'd just get that out there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It is known.

It just makes sense that GRRM would know the most archaic and out of use words for rape.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The baby thread are trying to use Isaac Hempstead-Wright looking like he's grown from the ages of 10 to 13 (he has, he turned 14 on Tuesday) in-front of the camera as an actual timeline for the story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The guys who are discussing the Podrick scene seriously are probably the kind of people who look at women on public transport and then wonder why the woman isn't taking her clothes off within a second of seeing their fedoras and neck beards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Better keep a packet of condoms, ribbed for her pleasure naturally, in my wallet at all times. You never know!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ramsay isn't being Ramsay yet, he's being "Reek".
He'll probably not be frightening in an imposing sense, but when he starts torturing Theon for laughs and his sick pleasure, he'll probably be frightening in a this guy is hosed in the head sense

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, when I watched the episode last night I just interpreted Ramsay helping Theon out now as him doing the thing he does in ADWD where he lets him escape so he play with him and then he can bring him back in. He could easily pin the murders of the Bolton men on Theon so the Bolton crew are even more pissed off at him, they've shown Theon as a good archer in the show so they could take it in that direction, I suppose.

I think Alfie Allen is a really good Theon and the show runners agreed enough to bring him back for these seasons where he's absent in the books.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Its been not long enough since I last read ADWD, but I recall a lot of the dialogue suggest that Theon has no penis.
You just know for a fact that the stuff about Theon and Ramsay's dogs is going to be in the show at some point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a GRRM book.
She had sex with the dog, and GRRM masturbated while thinking it up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM likes his history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ice

We know Bolton has left to meet Stannis on the field. They'll fight to a stalemate or a slow Bolton victory, Stannis' northmen reinforcements arrive, Ramsey's army retreat to regroup, ice breaks and they drown.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was going to comment on his official site being the epitome of the late 90's internet but he's actually got a new site up and it's reasonably with the times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why would anyone think this was a good idea to write?
There's literally no reason to write that article other than to be a poo poo.

Mormont was awesome in both book and show and it sucks he's gone.
Willas and Garlan Tyrell aren't existent in the show, but it's probably better that way because people want to know everything about the series without actually wanting to inform themselves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joffrey will die around the middle of season 4, I reckon. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to happen after he dies, and they can bring some Feast stuff in too.
It'd also play with the viewers expectations that the huge event will happen in episode 9.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Until he visits the set and lays eyes on Sansa's young actress.
Then he'll look like he's about to croak, probably.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think I've been infected with the gurm because I was sort of disappointed that Jaime didn't move to try and cover his groin when Brienne stood up to disguise the boner he gets in the books.

Kill me before the gurm gets worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I know the author in real life"
- George R. R. Martin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It could very well have been Benjen.
Offered the wall or death for laying with her while she was bethrothed, a maiden or something similar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM probably wrote the Wall at 700 feet because he thought that it was an impressive number and never paid it any attention.
When they were making that rather atrocious GoT RPG for the consoles and PC, they showed him a 1:1 scale model of the wall and he said "I wrote it too big".
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/game-of-thrones-preview/

He probably thought 700 feet would look like 300 or 400, which is still pretty ridiculous for a sheer wall of magic ice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Littlefinger to take a trip through the Moon Door so that all this heavy handed Littlefinger stuff in the show has no pay off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I'm sure that Dany will not be a lovely character in Winds, right?

Not in the literal sense this time, but she's going to have a lovely storyline, be a lovely character and be a slog to read.
If he can't get it right in the first 5 books,given a few exceptions, I doubt he can make her interesting in the sixth.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Mutato posted:

Ahem, George GRRM. R. Martin did, in fact, "get it right" with the beautiful Khaleesi, Danaerys Stormborn Targaryen, when he won the prestigious HUGO AWARD for BEST NOVELLA in 1997. Please do your research before posting in this thread good sir.

I believe you could make a better argument for her AFFC chapters winning a "BEST NOVELLA" award. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Holy Calamity! posted:

IT'S NOT IN THE BOOKS

Theon does come to terms with the fact he'd rather be a Stark than a Greyjoy in ADWD so that scene in the show is not exactly made up, just really early.
Unless you're referring to the Catelyn/Jon Snow bit, which obviously isn't. It's not clear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't mind her that much personally, but she's in the Kit Harrington camp of "can't convincingly put on a false accent" to me.
Rose Leslie is a proper middle class girl who grew up at an English private school and speaks like it. She's actually Scottish born, and there are incredibly few people who speak like she does in real life with her accent in Scotland. Her accent sounds fake as all heck, where all the better actors either use their real accents, like Charles Dance and Sean Bean.

Jon and Ygritte in the show are a perfect blend of can't act but look good.
She's using her speaking voice in this

E: clarification

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 8, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Whatever Aurain wants them to be I guess? I have never thought to complain about accents. Didn't even notice Littlefinger's changing around a bunch which reportedly happened.

Real/Fake accents is natural speaking voice or not, I thought that was pretty obvious. The actors ability seems to weigh heavily on how good they are at changing it, but that's more TVIV than a Book Barn discussion.

I'm probably going to re-read AFFC and ADWD in the upcoming weeks because I have a bunch of appointments and meetings coming up where I'll likely have nothing to do for the entire duration of them.
I can't help but feel dread about reading those books again, but it has been a while since I read them and have forgotten large parts of them.
It kind of speaks volumes to me that when faced with the choice of mind numbing boredom or re-reading books 4 and 5 of ASOIAF, the books part is the slightly more appealing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

She wasn't even around long enough for me to find her annoying (she was around for like... not even half a book?)

I'd add on a more meaningless level that I don't like her name and that it's ugly to look at.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So the fandom is basically saying Jon Connington is the dude they have for Giantsbane in the TV show?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like Melisandre a lot.
Her actress is not a natural red head though so it doesn't really work in regards to the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just wait till the racist chick from Westeros.org finds out Daario doesn't have blue hair because blue hair is for terrible pro wrestlers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joramun posted:

The character in the middle must be from House Mallister since he has their eagle sigil embroidered on his garb.

American Fighter Premium Brand are pretty good house words too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I reread AFFC's prologue earlier today.
The main narrative theme of it is a fat loser wants to take a 15 year old girl's virginity.
It is one (of many) chapters that can summarise GRRM perfectly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Most people I know who have read the books don't give a poo poo about the Red Wedding and the characters who die at that bit, it's the fact he fakes out Arya's death in the next chapter that pisses them off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thor and Samwell is the OTP, clearly.

I'm disgusted that I know what an OTP is to be truthful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's just a terrible set of photos. She's got a pretty good smile in the candids that come up when you google for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is no way Gurm is finishing the series in two books.
There's no way he's even going to finish The Winds of Winter even when he splits it into two books, never mind finishing TWOW as he originally planned to.
The series will finish way before the books and the show kids are going to try and lord that over book readers in some inane way no doubt.

E: I am absolutely awful at grammar and typing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joramun posted:

Let's be honest, we kind of deserve it.

I imagine Gurm will change quite a lot of the important details should he some how manage to avoid a grisly death or incarceration for child molestation and finish the novels anyway.