Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hitchensgoespop posted:

Didnt Jon snow give them some land below the wall? Was that ever in the show?

Yep, in the episode before Hardhome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Do those two shows hold up still? Are they worth watching despite the cancellation

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mat Cauthon posted:

We know the broad strokes, but I figure there's a lot of detail and interpersonal experiences that would be interesting to hear about. By all accounts the first 2-3 seasons were only as good as they were because of the team of talented people around the showrunners, and once those folks were driven away or marginalized as well as GRRM no longer contributing to the writing the show clearly started the downwards trajectory.

Then again I enjoy documentaries and oral histories and that sort of thing so maybe I'm biased in assuming such an unpacking would be entertaining or useful.

Something like the oral history of Twin Peaks book woul be amazing, but look how long that took to emerge and that's a show that people wanted to continue making

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember the theories between episodes on how this was part of an elaborate The North Remembers plot against Ramsey but lol nope Umber was a traitor and Rickon dies because he can’t not run in a straight line. This was happening at the exact same time when we theorized that Arya was laying this elaborate trap and walking about in public flashing money was all part of the plan but nope she’s just a complete moron.

I count myself among the people who were initially fooled by the trappings of the show staying the same as the writing nosedived, but that Arya episode broked the spell entirely

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still think the funniest possibility is that it finally does come out but it’s just full of more long meandering POV chapters of characters who were introduced in one of the last two books just traveling places and that the main character plotlines get only as far as Jon being resurrected and Tyrion meeting Dany. And that’s the end.

This but he announces it will now take 8 books to finish the story

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I might be grossly misunderstanding the writing process here, but couldn't someone like GRRM skip over some of that absurd detail and then back-fill with the assistance of an editor?

The books we've read are, functionally, a collaboration between GRRM and his editor. I don't know whether the publisher still employs the same person but there's enough GRRM-words out there for a good editor to be able to absorb and approximate his style. So what's to stop GRRM writing something like, in the case of Jorah's fight, "they fight but the Dothraki's hooked blade catches in Jorah's armour. Jorah disarm and kills him" and then working with his editor to expand it into something closer to his usual style? Even, if he's feeling super lazy, have the editor write it and send it back for GRRM approval?

Is the idea that the gardening style means that he might organically happen upon a turn of phrase when describing the fight that somehow informs some element of Jorah's character that he will then build upon later?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

HonorableTB posted:

It's funny because those are legitimately some impressive page numbers ONCE HE ACTUALLY SAT DOWN AND STARTED WRITING. All that wasted time loving around and then in two years he wrote like 1100 pages, what was the magic trick that got that done??

Edit: also loling at the update where he announced he actually had 70 fewer pages than the last time because he was so slow at writing he managed to unwrite already-written material

The magic trick was that those 1100 pages were A Dance With Dragons and they were dogshit Dany-poo poo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Evil Fluffy posted:

Would be be better or worse if he wore a fedora?

It would be more honest

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have working

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Preston's biggest problem is that he has a tendency to use that one fallacy I forgot the name of about coming up with a hypothesis, then just going back and cherry-picking any line in a book to use as evidence to prove that theory, which is why the Dornish Master Plan always seemed really dumb to me.

If he's doing it on purpose then it's this one: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

If he's doing it without realising, then it's just plain old confirmation bias

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Weren't the Riverlands in the crossfire of the war as well? The Vale was nowhere near the fighting, and so much less chance of an encounter like the one that scuppered Jaime and Brienne

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There's a interview with fucker himself in The Independent.you had to register to read it but the headline was :

George RR Martin: ‘I don’t understand how people can come to hate so much something that they once loved’

Without the registration wall:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F...s-b2088451.html

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Almost like someone else wrote those characters (I'm now all in on the Ty conspiracy now because hell, why not)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grrm wrote the descriptions of food and nipples to throw us off the scent

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

intriguing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One episode ending with Arya hiding in the dark for her life and then the next starting with her walking around smugly right in the open of a big city flashing money and expectedly getting stabbed and thrown into a river was just so baffling that I still cannot understand what happened. I remember how I and so many others were *convinced* there was some ploy happening, a trap for the Waif. But nope. Arya was just a stupid moron.

I was pretty late getting onto the "show sucks now" bus, and this was the episode that broke me

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pennsylvanian posted:

Sometimes, when I think that he should have done the five year gap, I think "Of course. The Arya, Dany, and Jon plots were a slog in particular." On the other hand, there may have been a jarring jump if he had done the 5 year gap, with characters expositing on what happened over the years in a way that is really unusual for the story so far.

I think he could have got away with not doing exposition to explain events. These books still have enough dedicated fans that, as long as some offhand references are made to the major events, people will assemble a timeline themselves (and argue about it online; engagement!) and it gives him the option of making some big revelations when the opportunity presents itself.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Have someone ghost-write it but George can write all the descriptions of food and nips so it still feels like ASoIaF

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Evil Fluffy posted:

I doubt it's a coincidence that Ty left to go write their own books and GRRM just happened to stop writing at the same time. Ty probably was ghostwriting for GRRM and left because he decided he could do his own thing instead.

I checked my post history itt and I already made the food & nips comment before when talking about the Ty ghost writing theory, so yeah

Having read a bit of The Expanse I don't think Ty is some amazing writer but he clearly has a process that works and is fast and consistent which it turns out matters a lot when you're planning to write a nine book series

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be honest, whoever still actually expect him to finish not only winds but also the next book is completely out of touch with reality

In any case, the fucker could just stop saying he is writing and will finish the books and people would stop asking him about them, its pretty easy

People will tolerate years of low-grade pain to avoid a short, sharp shock

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The only reason people need to theorycraft hidden plotlines for ASoIaF is because the fucker hasn't written them. The story of these books is also not that complicated it's just not finished so people fill the huge gaps between releases with increasingly wild speculation

e: you are right that the styles are very different but there are also genre expectations when it comes to style

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mind the walrus posted:

If it doesn't hit in the next 1-2 years though, it probably never will.

If it does, is anyone expecting it to be an improvement on Dance? Or are we just hoping for better than the show at this point?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

Obviously Winds wouldn't be announced

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

God, sorry, I can't get over this loving AI story. It's so bad!

ctrl+f "the subversions of expectations" and it shows up 108 times :shepface:. Also, Jon is just alive in the beginning of Winds, with no explanation, he's just there.

From the very first prompt:

quote:

There must be subversion of expectations several times.

Obedient AI!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Devorum posted:

It's fine, but the first book will make you want to claw your eyes out every time you see the phrase "vomit zombie", which is what they call folks infected with the protomolecule. It's used relentlessly.

All in all, I don't regret reading it. Could have been shorter, though.

I'm planning on reading it soon and this is good info since I can ctrl+h the phrase in the epub to something less annoying

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Since it comes up so often in this thread I decided to try reading a Sanderson book and I think I'm fine with asoiaf never being finished actually

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No shade on anyone for reading what they enjoy, it's just not for me. Also, having read some of his stuff now I understand where people are coming from when they say he'd be a terrible fit for continuing GRRMs style compared to Wheel of Time

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's a fun theory but unless Ty Franck's writing partner was very insistent about using a specific type of prose, the Expanse books were not written by the person who wrote ASOIAF

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's very funny to me that he could be working hours every day on the book or doing absolutely nothing and we'll likely never know which is true

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm a little disappointed they never said "snarks and grumpkins" on the TV show.

Cersei says it when she's making fun of Tyrion(?) for believing in The Others

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Posts are wind

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah they did (I think) book 4 with someone else and then brought Dotrice back for book 5. His book 5 Dany sounds like an Irish grandmother

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guy A. Person posted:

That entire season(s?) felt like somehow the guy who played Ramsay got let into the writers room by accident and just kept suggesting dumb poo poo like this and the real writers were too shy to shoot it down. The “twenty good men” thing was essentially the same, like the guy was a bad parody fanfic villain until it was time for him to die, before then he was untouchable

I think the writers were very capable of thinking up dumb poo poo all by themselves

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

I want to know how that started. How to do go to the effort to dress a set and choreograph a scene and then go in to Post only to go, "no, make it darker :hmmyes". Even in scenes where things are supposed to be confusing and obfuscated from characters you can still do it in a way that the audience can still see what's going on.

I hope that person was made to watch the episode on a 4mbps stream

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hope is just the larval stage of disappointment.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mods change my username to ambiguous nuncle

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My dad always talks fondly about eating these as a student and he genuinely teared up when I got him one as a fun stocking filler

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Your dad sounds fat as hell.

He's lost a lot of weight since he retired

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

pidan posted:

Eh, he didn't even kill that many beloved viewpoint characters. What, Ned, and then three books later the red wedding. Well, ok, also Jon Snow, but nobody believes he'll stay dead. I think the reputation Asoiaf has for killing main characters is really unearned.

Yeah, the problem for me is much more than he introduced a bunch of PoV characters that just aren't that interesting and he split the characters between books so you get one chapter you enjoy for every four chapters of thin gruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Strong Belwas PoV would be amazing