Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
So moving back across the country soon. Don't really want to lug these signed first editions back. Did I miss the peak value yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nopantsjack posted:

can I just say that this is the stupidest front cover for any book iv ever seen

Do they not even bother at this point to show the actual author of the books?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

bloom posted:

If they delay the show for years and then cancel it it'll become the greatest adaptation of all time.

Only if in place of GoT we get Gurm doing football commentary during the season and comicon coverage in the off-season.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mind the walrus posted:

GRRM's first law: Why finish what you can abandon?

GRRM's second law: New characters and plotlines > resolution.

GRRM's third law: Dorne will always be disappointing

That which is never finished has conquered eternity.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Elias_Maluco posted:

What is dead (this book series) may never die

Dead insinuates completion.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Solice Kirsk posted:

So does HBO have anything else at all to keep viewers once GoT ends? I don't think Westworld has the staying power to keep people invested. In fact, after that first episode, I think we may be in a True Detective type situation where they don't know what the gently caress to do so just kind of try and rehash what made the first season somewhat bearable.

I remember when HBO showed movies. Of course that was back when movies were actually somewhat good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
How many years has it been since ADwD?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

bloom posted:

He's rich and old and dgaf anymore. Can't blame him.

I hope when he finally ODs from pizza, TPratchet bitch slaps him.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There are no more books after God-Emperor.

That

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cardiac posted:

Doesn’t that assume they end up in the same afterlife?
Isn’t one circle of Dante’s hell dedicated to sloth?

I hope Pratchett is in his Discworld and Gurm ends up there to but perhaps is doomed to live in the River Ankh.
(TP is of course Twoflower.)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

his story did come out before dragonlance fwiw

I need to dig out my Monster Manual now

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but that was just a D&D campaign. White dragons were in the D&D white box in '74.

NM, this covers it.

Fabulous Knight posted:

You know, apparently his publishers did at one point suggest splitting TWOW into two books, which led me to think that maybe GRRM actually has written a whole lot, enough for two books,

Isn't that exactly why AFFC was only half a book? Wasn't it released that way because he had reportedly written enough for 2 books?

What would lead you to believe that line again?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

quote:

Meanwhile, back on the Wall...

:lol:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Sonds?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I just had a dream that I took ASOIaF back in time and Monty Python did their interpretation of it.

Was a glorious dream.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Syrio is not dead. He is just pining for the fjords.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

uhh you can watch the wire on there, it's fine

You can watch The Wire on Amazon Prime. :colbert:

This is the obvious answer and they're still dangling the prospect of a movie but man, swearengen is older than grrm, I'm not hopeful.

GRRM cocksucker!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Attempting once again to read Malzazan (or however the hell you spell it) first book. Jesus christ there are so many characters and I have zero idea what the plot is or who is a good guy or bad guy. It's like ASoIaF in a blender.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He has no pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fBiCNiR1E

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every card game is either a form of poker or blackjack. It just depends on if you're matching or adding.

When we were kids we would gamble with our baseball cards. We'd stand behind a line and flip them toward a wall. Mind is fuzzy since it was a zillion years ago but I think the jist was that if your flipped card (or one your card moved when it landed) covered up the little logo on the one corner of the card entirely, you won all the cards beneath it.

So it was as much poker/blackjack as GURM's time is spent writing.

:colbert:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Tarot. :colbert:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ginette Reno posted:

When GRMM dies the flags will be at glistening mast in his honor

ftfy

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

The makers of Seamonkeys should sue him for stealing their likenesses.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm glad he's not bothering with the appearance of effort anymore.

When did he give that appearance?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

I picked it up in a bookstore once and read through the first few pages and yeah it's literally an "In the beginning... And [x] begat [x], who begat [x], who begat..." so I promptly tucked it back into the shelf and walked away. Apparently there's a few really good stories in it (Beren and Luthien) but it's like just, oh god find a good summary of them somewhere and then fill in the gaps with your imagination because reading it is just--ugh.

Unfinished Tales might be more the speed you're looking for. Or Book Of Lost Tales.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 10, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

quote:

At press time, Roberts conceded that he did hope Martin survived long enough to publish the final installments of Wild Cards.
That is the comedy part.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

also ive been rereading the first book and the scene at the inn in the crossroads owns.

Ah, that is where the birth of my hatred for a character occurred.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

feast is pretty awful, i'll admit, besides the brienne chapters but dance has some good moments.

She certainly shat.

Perhaps I will do another reread of this poo poo series after I am done with Beacon 23.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Refresh my memory, where did the books leave off with Lady Stonebrain and that manly woman who had to say a word or something because ~reasons~?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hobbesmaster posted:

Sword or noose is the last thing?

And we are still to believe that Stonebrain is Ned's idiot widow? (Widiot)

I endeavor to do my reread whist in my cups.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

Lady Stoneheart is ultimately irrelevant and her subplot amounts to nothing because GRRM told D&D everything about how the story ends and they felt confident enough to not even bother introducing her in the show so who cares.

I am confident that the books that will never be written will pick up where he left off, and be completely different than the HBOmimation and things will be relevant again.

It is precious that you believe that gurm himself knew how the story was supposed to end before HBO got it. What is more likely is they told gurm that there were simply too many character plots and things had to be cut for the small screen. IE: Strong Belwas

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 29, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He 100% stopped whatever tiny amount of writing he was doing when HBO got far enough ahead of him. He was making comments about how he wanted to change his own poo poo so it wasn't the same as HBO and then realized that'd take him 30 years to finish so he quit and is enjoying having money. Which is the right move.

I mean poo poo, at least he could pick one of his WILD CARDS authors to write it and he could dictate what happened plot/incest/rape-wise. He'd never have to punch another key in his life.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Has Rick been killed yet?

edit: Oh wait, that's the other show I don't watch.

Book out yet?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

kcroy posted:

Also this - my GF said the exact same thing at that scene:

Why is she sucking on his mustache? Did he leave some nutrients in there?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

An Absolute Fucker.

quote:

((Comments permitted, but ONLY on the NFL and the draft. Off topic comments will be deleted))

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

There are roughly 576 hours left before he's irrelevant forever. Dude's gotta go out with a bang, and this is all he's got left in the tank now.

He's not your bitch. At least he can sleep soundly with that knowledge and a full belly.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
What if gurm has actually been writing all of this time, and WoW will release upon the end of the tv series, complete with completely different storyline?

(syrio lives)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

MrFlibble posted:

https://youtu.be/DQAuI015FbE?t=1032

Gee preston, tell us what you really feel.

Holy poo poo. I have never watched any of the show, but I may go back and watch all of this guy's videos.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
OK the last page hosed me up. I wasn't expecting actual book chat in here.
Time for a reread I suppose.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Status of Sir Pounce?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

He's also a minor character whose reason for being is to have an epic fight with Sandor at some point before the show ends.

I literally can't come up with a justification for Lady Stoneheart's existence in either the books or show.

Well it was kind of SOMETHING in the books. I disliked the character, but did not see her as just taking up space. It may very well have had a point, had the books actually continued to be written. Which IF the books are actually written, they may be vastly different than the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

V. Illych L. posted:

watched the Show Episode and i thought that arya got through by disguising herself as an Other

So basically Walking Dead style? (when they actually remembered that zombies were easily walked past when covered in gore).