Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They're doing a whole show for Corlys Velaryon? I mean yeah he was an interesting character but even so

Also I never read that Mercy thing before oh my loving god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ruddiger posted:

Tony Hillerman sounds like a name I trust with an unbiased view of Navajo people.

Lmao yeah seriously. I did look him up and it seems like he was regarded okay by the Navajo before he died but even so. Zahn McClarnon will be playing the lead role in the show though so that's pretty cool.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think I've finally reached a point where I'll just select one of the better-reviewed submissions on fanfiction.net and use that as my ending

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I can only hope most of that is unceremoniously and unambiguously ending a bunch of the stupid plotlines he introduced in Feast and Dance. Rereading those now and like, there's so much poo poo I just don't care about.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sex pervert aside, really loling at how Robb would have been leading an army and owning everyone at 12. It's plenty dumb as is but that would have been even better.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also he was like 14? maybe 15 in ACOK?

Those ages seem right, just feels like while 14 is a huge stretch for what he was doing 12 would be very hard to believe. On the other hand Edward, Prince of Wales was like only 16 at the Battle of Crecy and 19 when he captured the King of France so these things happened.

But yeah you're obviously right in the rest of that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Daeneyrs sucks in most of the books but the first one especially is so astounding. Yeah she's boring in book five but having my introduction to the ancient bloodline of dragonlords be a teenage girl fall in love with her rapist is insane.

I don't care what actual medieval marriages were like (and I've read that in reality even medieval Europeans weren't as bad as ASOIAF) that was a conscious decision by a creepy dude who looks like Santa Claus.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also Catelyn thought Winterfell and Riverrun were the most obvious places for her to go so she threw any Lannister pursuers a curveball by heading to the Vale instead. Of course Lysa turned out to be Lysa so uh whoops.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I know Martin has said that he doesn't want any ghostwriters if he goes before he finishes (if, lol)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao I didn't know he owned a railroad

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Be cool if George could get around to doing his own take on the story

But yeah I get the feeling he wasn't big on how the show went either. Not like you gave them a lot of choice though, Pervy Santa

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Martin's flagship series is cobbled together from genre tropes, folk stories, and real history (looking forward to The Anarchy But With Dragons) so it's really funny whenever he pitches a fit about other people being derivative

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds like someone is forgetting about a little preview by the name of Mercy

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Things varied depending on time - remember that the Middles Ages as a whole are nearly a thousand years and the period between the Battle of Hastings and Columbus enslaving his first aboriginal peoples in the New World (the part of the Middle Ages that feature most in popular images of the time) was more than four centuries. The Anglo-Saxons at Hastings had an army of levied peasants (the semi-proffessional fyrd established by Alfred the Great in the late 800s) and household warriors sworn to their lords and thegns, while the English armies in the Hundred Years War were composed of professional archers who signed contracts and drew wages alongside thousands of knights and men-at-arms who fought on foot more often than not (at least in the big battles). And a LOT of mercenaries, like way more than you'd think reading ASOIAF.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure Marian still has a line that says she was like sixteen when Indy and her were together

Ugh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't wait to recreate the Battle of Bosworth Field when George Rape Rape Martin dies, leaving fan loyalists and bitter former fans to divide and fight over who gets possession of his incomplete Winds manuscript

Of course whomever wins will be the true loser when they start reading and find out he only wrote seventy pages and it's all one long chapter describing Dany's poo poo in even more extreme detail. Followed by Mercy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tolkein was such a loser. Wasting his time fighting in World War I and telling the Literal Nazis to kiss his rear end, nothing he wrote could have ever compared to Mercy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Who has a better story than Bran the Broken (who hasn't had a story in two decades)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

He listed like twenty of those viewpoint characters and important secondary ones and I realised there were, maybe, three that I'm in any way interested in.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All three hundred pages are Mercy chapters

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I don't know if I care about the show but the Dance has a bunch of pretty interesting characters and some neat twists and turns (and, correct me if I'm wrong, like WAY less rape. More incest though so like... gently caress). Since apparently Martin is going to be looming over production in the same way he did for the early seasons of the main show I guess it'll probably be alright.

The more time he spends on set is less time for him to write follow-up Mercy chapters so it's basically HBO's moral duty to have him around at this point.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't think I've seen Aegon II once in these trailers tbh, I get the feeling this will really be the Rhaenyra and Daemon show more than anything.

It also looks like Viserys I is a glowering, grim skinny guy which nah, give me a big jolly fat dude who's totally oblivious

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Love the idea that Aegon did his conquest to protect the world from the Others but then did absolutely nothing about them for his entire thrity year reign and didn't tell anyone else so that his descendants ignored the Wall for three hundred years. Thanks George, that really pulls things together.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It'd be pretty funny if the show does so badly they have to can it before actually getting to the end. But I dunno, hard to imagine more than two seasons (one for the pre-war, one for the war itself). Unless they think people are going to be really interested in a full third season of Aegon III moping around.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Be more thematically appropriate if we throw him under a train

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Walking Dead as a franchise fucks me up somehow. I only actually like the first season of the main show but for some reason sat through five more full seasons before I finally quit. Then, despite only enjoying the first two or three episodes of Fear (i.e. the slow build-up of background zombie stuff that I thought was going to be the whole show) I proceeded to watch three more seasons. It's like some kind of parasite that gets in my head and forces me to keep watching as the writing gets worse and the CGI budgets evaporate and eventually I swear I will never look at another Walking Dead thing again

Anyway, hope that Daryl spin-off is still in the works!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Always seemed insane that Roose never had any suspicions. Like sure everyone thinks Arya is locked up but a Northern girl with a noble accent and gray eyes? You'd think he'd ask at least one question

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even then it's a little off. As early as the first stage of the Hundred Years War (1330ish) English longbowmen were semi-professional soldiers working on contract for the earls I believe. It only got more and more formal as you get to the Wars of the Roses that inspired Ice and Fire.

The whole idea of calling up every farmer and fisherman and barrel maker and throwing them into battle with sharpened sticks was barely a thing in the Middle Ages. The Anglo-Saxon armies were made up of professional household warriors and militias formed from land-owning peasants (at least after Alfred of Wessex's reforms anyway). Armies during a Crusade could get pretty ragtag I guess but even then most of the actual fighting soldiers were organised and paid (in one way or another) by the kings and dukes and counts that went off to Jerusalem i.e. Richard the Lionheart's extremely extensive preparations for his campaign

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

At it's absolute peak the Roman Empire had about 200,000 men in the legions and the same number of auxiliaries (i.e. Romanised Celts and Gauls etc. who fought alongside the legion but weren't organised like it). But that was spread over much of Europe and North Africa

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

To defend the rape author (*tugs at collar*), it seems obvious to me that the Lannister campaign is based directly on the English chevauchees of the Hundred Years War, where knights and longbowmen rode around France doing medieval 'Come and See' poo poo for decades. Exaggerated I guess but, honestly, not too much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

'What if William the Conqueror had a dragon' was fine, maybe George 'Author of the Mercy Chapter' Martin should finish his books before retroactively changing anything

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I assume the Joffrey-esque character will be Aemond One-Eye once they get around to introducing him (unless they have already, haven't watched the dragon show)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao I forgot about them, yeah if they aren't mentioned the show is worthless

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Elmo erasure smh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

iamsosmrt posted:

GRRM doesn't have any assistants or team to help him piece together all the story bloat right?

I think the two racists that run that fan site do it. He's mentioned in the past having to go to them for little details like eye colour of characters and poo poo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finally, back to book talk. Just found this new preview chapter, can't wait to check it out. Mercy, huh? This should be good!

Edit: the gently caress

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve never read ASOIAF but goddamn y’all have posted almost 2000 pages and this thread is 11 years old.

Imagine how much we'd post if a new book came out

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't know how to break this to you but Kermit is a for-real name that existed before the Muppets did.

I mean true, but when George names the four Tully's in the book Grover, Elmo, Kermit and Oscar I think it's pretty safe to say there's a deliberate thing going on here that's a little hard to ignore

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think he's too busy taking his private railroad back and forth between castles to give a gently caress. Maybe once in a while some intern throws together a blog post. Of course the alternative is a second Mercy chapter so we should probably be glad the old pervert isn't actually writing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

600,000 words but they're all the Mercy chapter from different perspectives