Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Why on Earth do any of these fools profess faith in the Seven when every other religion has literal wizards running around, George?

Catelyn sitting there hoping the Mother will save her grievously injured son when she knows 100% that the Many-faced God also has an interest in death, and more importantly, an active cult with wizard powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Because GURM is a lapsed Catholic and lets his own experiences biases bleed into his writing. That's why the Faith of the Seven is largely represented by ineffectual Septons who are either child-diddlers (according to Tyrion) or power-hungry individuals, or religious zealouts (Like the Lannister kid who joins the Faith's armed wing.

It's also why except for Catelyn, the majority of character POVs don't really believe, and for those characters who do, it's usually seen in a negative light.

Yeah that's what gets me is like, I am among the rare internet people who is genuinely religious, and he just fails so hard at writing a religious person. We do in fact have rational thought, and if there's demonstrable powers everyone else has, well, things are getting rethinked! In Cat's defense I suppose she's undead before most of the real magic poo poo starts happening in plain sight.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Here's a music video from ten years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

There is still no Winds of Winter

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Waltzing Along posted:

Ned is not dead yet but Robert is about dead. After thinking on it, Neds motivations make perfect sense. Ever decision is based on doing the honorable/just thing. He doesn't want to kill kids and he doesn't want to enable it, either. He always wants to give people a chance to do the right thing, as well.

OTOH, his is a comedy of errors:

He confronts Cersei in the hopes she will flee. It doesn't seem to occur to him that she is likely the one who killed Jon Arryn. She blatantly admits to the incest and everything and he just derps away.
He doesn't tell Robert when he has the chance because he doesn't want his friend to be sad.
When Renly gives him a great out without killing any kids he refuses because he doesn't want to disrespect Robert by acting early.
When Littlefinger says "hey, if you tell Stannis, there is gonna be a lot of killing and death," Ned says well, can't do anything about it cuz he is the rightful heir. Even if it means lots of dead people.

Each decision makes sense in a vacuum. But at some point, you'd think he would add it all up and just hold his nose and do the greater right thing.

The secret is, the Starks all suck and deserved what they got.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Platystemon posted:

People are tough on GRRM for the time he spends editing, but consider that if had he not edited, A Game of Thrones would have such baffling plot points as

• Aerys killing Steffon Baratheon
  • Jon Arryn accompanying Ned to the Tower of Joy and killing Arthur Dayne with a shotgun of Valyrian steel
  • Robert giving Storm’s End to Stannis and Dragonstone to Renly
  • Robb, Jon, and Dany being even younger
  • Cersei ordering the death of Jon Arryn
  • Ned calling Cersei a bitch*, in conversation with Arya
  • Ned ordering Catelyn to seize Tyrion on his way back from the Wall
  • Pycelle being the voice of reason in preparing for winter

*In fairness, there’s a bit of wordplay here in the context of her relationship with Sandor “The Hound” Clegane. It’s still a bad line.

Robert gives Storm's End to Stannis. After his death, Stannis rallies the Stormlords and, via his Florent allies and an advantageous marriage of his young brother Renly, the Reachmen, and takes King's Landing in a swift and brutal assault. The Bastards of Lannister are put to the sword. Renly has a party. Stannis refuses to recognize Robb Stark. The Young Wolf is swatted down and condemned for betraying not only his true king but his father's own wishes. Rickard Karstark is made Warden of the North. Daenarys dies pooping in a field. Tywin marries Tyrion to Shereen Baratheon, the heir apparent. The two grumpy, stern old men agree that war is war, and what's needed now is stability and rule of law. Dorne is angry offscreen. Peace and order reign in the Seven Kingdoms.

Two books, series over, you're welcome George.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 15, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Sansa is my favorite POV character :(

Or at least was when the show was happening, and I thought maybe there would be a conclusion to her arc? Perhaps detailed in two future books. Silly me.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Guy A. Person posted:

hahahah holy poo poo

The spoiled part of that quote is literally the central mystery of the first novel and isn't really fully revealed until super late into it lmao

Lol GOT fans loved doing this. My best friend was one of the fresh, super-invested show watchers, and a huge Robb Stark fan. She managed to mostly avoid spoilers for two years. A huge part of my fun was watching each episode and seeing how she reacted to stuff like Blackwater. Usually with too much wine between us.

Sure was great sitting on that, and then the biggest moment of the season was spoiled day of. Not by actual SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE types, but by her having two brain cells and noticing all the "ohohohoho what will happen when Robb goes to the evil old man castle, no one is safe!!! Show watchers will be in for it tonight ;)" all over Twitter.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been thinking that Sansa should be the one to kill Cersei. But I also remember something about a prophecy. I'm guessing that is coming up in a later book. But Sansa is the catalyst to gently caress everything up in book 1 so far. And Cersei happily takes advantage of those mistakes.

You misspelled Eddard!!

As a Sansa stan I like her becoming Queen in the North. She is the least Stark kid in appearance and character. Her "growing up" fantasies are about marrying a handsome, mighty, and noble Prince and getting the gently caress out. Then she finds out the Prince is a monster, the hard way. Delete and replace everything that happens after somewhere between her Storm and Feast chapters/Season 4. It would be awesome to see her learn from the poo poo she went through and emerge as the schemer Cersei and Littlefinger want to be.

Then it would also be great to have Arya with a parallel plot. She is far and away the Starkier daughter in appearance and character. But realizing her dream ultimately has her needing to abandon her Starkitude. In this imaginary Good series, it makes perfect sense for Arya to go voyaging while Sansa reigns in her own right as Ice Queen Bitch. I'll send you my bank info, HBO.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 17, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I don't really blame George Martin for getting distracted. The theme might have been intended to be "these idiots care about the fancy chair, not the apocalypse," but I am way more concerned with what happens in the internal lives of these idiots. The real zombie apocalypse after (insert problematic fave here) sits the throne was the drama we had along the way.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Elias_Maluco posted:

That seems to only apply to Ramsay, and probably because his plot armor is so huge and magnificent the whole reality bends in his favor

*swirls wine glass, glares across from Red Keep to Sept*

edit: in the process of writing this short sentence I remembered Bronn manages to get Highgarden. No one in the Reach, which is famously ruled by a bunch of Garth "the Horny" Greenhand's offshoots, has any armies, riches, power, food to oppose Tyrion on this brilliant choice.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Sansa loses her wolf because she is a terrified little girl who wants a cute puppy and a nice boyfriend.

A certain Nedward Stark ensures neither happens because HONOR MY KING right after she learns the latter isn't happening.

Lady stans unite.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Yeah Robb was done as soon as he accepted King in the North. Swearing to Stannis or Renly is the only way the North does not lose.

The Edmure thing is not him being screwed by a dumbass underling. Edmure did all that was expected of him and more. He halted the Mountain, the most brutal Lord known, from rampaging through the lands he was sworn to protect.

Then Robb chews him out as an idiot, without having told him the plan. Or acknowledging that this plan means sacrificing Riverlanders for Northerners. A thing Riverman armies will not be keen on. Robb was not a smart King. He was not a good King.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Irisi posted:

Even just Cersei. If Bobby B had married anyone else then we wouldn't have had homicidal incest bastards in line for the throne and Ned would still be alive and Bran wouldn't have been shoved out of the tower window. No War of Five Kings, and maybe instead of loving about committing warcrimes in the Riverlands, everybody looks north and thinks "poo poo, that's a lot of wildlings pushing south, wonder what's happening?".

Hell, Robert would have had the time of his life commanding the United Army of Westeros against the legions of the frozen dead. He'd have probably hailed Dany and her dragons as jolly good wing commanders at that point and tried to requisition one for his own (he had a Targarean grandmother, didn't he, I'll bet he could have rode one. God, Bob Baratheon atop a dragon with his war hammer, that's an image to put the fear of god into anyone, alive or dead).

Cat is solely responsible for starting the war. And purely because she is a huge idiot bigot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

jsoh posted:

she got that way after Joffrey died and Jaime was maimed.

I may be being influenced by the show special Cersei/Robert scene, but I am sympathetic to her. Robert was by all accounts a drunken rear end in a top hat lout, even back when he was hot and cool. If she had had a loving relationship, or even married a triumphant Rhaegar? Who knows. She comes off as someone who could just agree to put on airs with a dude like Rhaegar, while they know they aren’t in love. Her insanity comes from being forced into queenship at like 17. And then knowing that her kids are threatened by anyone who challenges the throne. Win or die, etc. What little we know of young Cersei she seems more like Sansa than the evil paranoia bitch queen.

I forget when she got the hots for Jaime, but she does say she did like both Rhaegar, and briefly, young Robert. Maybe she would not even become an incest queen in a better world.