Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The bowl shape of the map during the HBO series' opening credits had me entertaining thoughts that I&F took place inside a hollow world.

Also, the year thing bothers me a bit, buy not enough to really care. It's no worse than the many fantasy settings with seven day weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The earliest dwellers in Westeros were the Children of the Forest and they had to deal with long winters and the Others. This poo poo has been going on since time immemorial. It's magic. Just go with it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Caufman posted:

Oh I didn't even notice that. That would be a neat idea for another world.

Looking back at the intro, I figure they did that so that you wouldn't see anything besides the map. The bowl shape means you'd never see the room the map was in, even when the camera tilted to extreme angles.

Oh for sure. I don't think there's any support for my hollow world theory. I just like hollow world theories and D&D's Hollow World campaign setting, and they're what the opening credits remind me of.

I wonder about the accuracy (as if that's a thing that really matters) of the HBO maps. Their location for Vaes Dothrak doesn't look like it jives with the maps in Dragons.

Speaking of maps, someone post some more cool maps of Westeros and Essos. I loving love maps.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rurik posted:

Ok then, you're right.

But didn't Tom O'Sevens end up at Riverrun babysitting Edmure Tully at Jaime's orders? Does anyone remember if it was explained how he got there? And why Edmure went all "oh no, not him" when Jaime presented Tom to him?

Wasn't he the guy who plays that song about Castamere during the Red Wedding?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Maarak posted:

What makes Leaf so trustworthy though? Of all the fantasy tropes that GRRM choose to subvert, why would he leave his elves as paragons of good, ready to aid the humans no matter what? Dwindling numbers, and being forced to dwell in the far north only make it seem more likely they've allied with the Others.

He already subverted the elf trope by making them weird cat/deer people instead of super-beautiful and slightly androgynous humans with pointy ears.

Aside from that, I get the impression that the Others aren't some group you can ally with. Perhaps they believe they can manipulate the Others in some way, but they seem wiser than that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

PT6A posted:

Bear Island doesn't sound lovely, it just sounds rustic. Jorah's obviously quite fond of it.

Bear Island is only lovely if you married a gold-digger.

quote:

I'd say Coldhands is just a random Crow turned wight that's being warged by Bloodraven.

Yeah, I thought at first that Coldhands is Benjen, but now I think he's just some dead Crow.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Maytag posted:

So why don't you think he's Benjen anymore?

Bran spends a lot of time with him and doesn't even consider that it might be his uncle. There aren't any hints that he might be Benjen aside from that he's a dead Crow, and Benjen is maybe also a dead Crow.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Maytag posted:

Doesn't the dude wear a hooded cloak and is dead? I guess it would be kinda cheesy if it was Benjen though.

Bran doesn't even ponder the possibility that it might be Benjen. GRRM had a lot of opportunities to provide evidence he was Benjen and didn't. I take that as pretty good evidence that he isn't Benjen.

quote:

I also got the impression that Coldhands has been roaming around for a lot longer than Benjen has been missing.

Yeah, this too. It's implied that Coldhands is pretty drat old.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

I think the problem with 'whilst' specifically is that, in America, it tends to mostly be used by the same sorts of greasy nerds who wear fedoras, for the same reason. They think it makes them seem classy, so they pick it up as a painstakingly deliberate affectation. Obviously in the UK that's not the case, but as an American, whenever I see 'whilst' I think 'sweaty Renfaire attendee'.

Well, Westeros is basically one giant sweaty Renfaire, so it seems totally appropriate.

I originally had a problem with "week"s and "fortnight"s until I realized that the Westerosi have a perfectly legitimate reason to ascribe significance to units of seven.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I would like the dragons to die, without any of the fantastic "dragonrider" stuff even happening. Kind of like when Dany's son is stillborn. He was supposed to be the truly awesome Khal of Khals and wreck all kinds of stuff, but didn't, which makes Dany a better character. If she gets to Westeros and the Maesters actually manage to carry out some sort of dragon-assassination mission, it leaves things in an incredibly interesting place. Dany + Aegon and all their associated mercenaries/slaves + Dorne versus a really messed up Highgarden/Riverlands/Lannister powerbase holding the Iron throne and maybe the Freys and Boltons versus STANNIS and the north versus the Others. This four way conflict could be a really excellent dynamic ala aSoS, but if Dany has dragons it's all out the window. Even small dragons destroy armies, so she would wipe out the middle of Westeros before anything big even happened.

Also just messing with all the prophecies would be great, and this doesn't need to turn into Eragon...

Eh, I disagree. It is a fantasy series, after all, and just having people ride about and torch poo poo with dragons isn't going to make it Eragon. I think this is the perfect series to explore how the common people react to some crazy foreign woman showing up and laying waste to the countryside with her monsters-out-of-myth, especially because we've been set up to see her as the "good guy".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Selmy and Edd are gay? Where's the evidence for those claims? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just never noticed an indication that those dudes like dudes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I thought the Loras/Renly romance was about as explicit it could get considering the PoV structure and Westeros's culture.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Quantify! posted:

Good luck building a 1400+ foot chain.

We need another book about building a really long chain.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, aside from the wait, Dance's only major weakness is its lovely cliffhanger ending, especially because the cliffhangers are pretty predictable, so the ending feels incomplete instead of feeling like a point of dramatic tension.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Tyrion isn't a Mary Sue at all. He's a hugely flawed character, though, yes, one of his positive traits is that he is extremely intelligent.

His huge flaws are that he's short, ugly, and doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut and stay out of trouble.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Have you heard of Bewitched? Did you ever watch Rome? Did you sleep under a rock all summer and miss the news regarding Two and a Half Men?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

soru posted:

That's a good point. Game of Thrones and Bewitched are so similar that we should just assume it will happen. Plus most of its child actors are well known insane drug-fueled anti-semites so they'll probably get fired and killed off.

You asked why people would believe it's true that a TV show would have no problem replacing actors. I gave you three examples of this happening, two of them massively popular sitcoms that changed their lead actor, and one of them another HBO series that did the exact thing we're talking about in this thread. You're just being obtuse here.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, it's not like HBO has done the exact thing we are talking about in a series that is very similar to GoT in both production values and scope of narrative.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

soru posted:

I've never watched Rome but if your point is that main character recasting has happened on some absurdly tiny percentage of TV shows, then I guess I can accept that.

I'm not even saying they definitely won't recast them -- I'm saying it's insane to assume something that VERY rarely happens is almost a certainty.

That I only gave three examples doesn't mean that there are only three examples.

Rome is especially salient, though. It's in many ways the spiritual precursor to GoT, an HBO show that exhibited similar production values, a similar approach to sex and violence, and a similar breadth and scope to the story it tells. During the second season, the character of Octavian was recast for the exact reasons we are discussing, namely the character out-aged the actor and so the latter had to be replaced with someone more appropriate. And Octavian is no side character; his war with Antony is the central conflict of the second season.

quote:

I don't think they'd actor swap POV characters. Not to say that they won't. I just don't think they will, because people are already attached to the actors, and time does pass in the story to allow for some aging.

Yes, recasting has happened, but it's usually because someone had medical issues/death (Bewitched), a falling out with the production staff (Two and a Half Men), or were a really young kid in the secondary cast (Mad Men).

Yeah, while I harp on the Octavian example, I don't think they'll actually change the actors of Joffrey or the older Starks. The story and production should move ahead at a close enough rate to keep their ages from becoming a problem. But I can see them recasting Rickon and Tommen and Myrcella as they become more important to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Le Woad posted:

Weirdly enough yes, this is true, he loves them both. He justifies it pretty much every weekend during the season on notablog but it's still pretty stupid for as intense a fan as he is.

It's not so weird. They're both New York teams and they're not rivals like the Mets fans think the Mets and Yankees are.