Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
The Golden Company, and yes, from what little I've seen. Supposedly founded by another one of the 'Great Bastards' from 2 posts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Habibi posted:

You know, it's funny you say that, because I think the blandness of the Brienne character helped to shift attention to that larger story, and when I first read Feast I focused almost entirely on that background of "what has happened to Westeros."

There's also the little mini-mystery story of the massacre at Saltpans which plays out in those chapters, even if Brienne herself hasn't set out to find out about it.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

I don't really remember how the past books handled cliffhangers and such but it seemed like there were way too many throughout ADWD.

Another problem I had with the structure was that a lot of cool stuff happened just off screen. Something is about to happen, then BAM cliffhanger and then we pick up that thread later after said event is over, usually from another POV.

If you haven't read the old books recently and can't remember stuff like this fair enough, but it's safe to say that in the first 3 books (including Storm, which everyone agrees is badass) there are shitloads of cliffhangers, not just at the end, and plenty of significant stuff happens offscreen (one of the biggest advantages of the POV structure, and easily the thing that rewards careful readers/rereads the most).

Maybe 6 years of waiting have led you to expect more resolution or maybe your tastes have changed, but really these two things are hallmarks of the series it seems a little unfair to expect them to change halfway through. It's really just a side effect of so many concurrent threads/POVs.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Victarion is a badass, he goes along with every religion just to cover his bases while he burns and drowns people left and right.

I hated Victarion in feast, but his ADWD chapters totally turned me around (perhaps because I find the red priests and R'hllor one of the most interesting threads in the series).

bigmcgaffney posted:

Quentyn had a sad plotline, I was rooting for him to succeed because Dorne rules, but sadly there was no place for naive heroics in this series.

I felt like the purpose of Quentyn's plotline was to establish (in tandem with Dany's) that who Dany is riding or is currently married to is completely inconsequential, something that either a lot of people missed or I completely read wrong.

What's important (and probably important enough to take a book to establish) is that she has dragons, all her power derives from the dragons, and she needs to use her loving dragons if she hopes to achieve anything, even though the cost is high. Drogon gave her a nice reminder, and then Quentyn released (ok, mistakenly released) the other two as a nice little object lesson in case she's thick enough to miss it (probably a good move on his part!)

bigmcgaffney posted:

But in the end both Jon and Dany can't overcome the resistance to change, and pay severely for it. Maybe. Jon will be rezzed but he gets shanked even though he did a pretty good job

I read Jon's story at least a little differently. As long as he acted in the interests of the Night's Watch, he could make drastic changes, he could make bad decisions and his people would grudgingly fall into line. Then he discards his flimsy shield of honor, and the people around him no longer see any reason to put up with it. I think he was doing just fine, making decisions where the none of them were easy, changing enough that the Watch stands a fighting chance at having some warning of the Others. But after asking for the trust of everyone who stood for him and followed him, he stands up and announces he plans to break his oath, for real this time. I find it very hard to defend.

At least the part about Stannis in the letter is almost certainly a blatant lie.

bigmcgaffney posted:

while Dany did a poo poo job and will probably get another army of Dothraki because of it. That's just how Dany rolls.

That's the luxury of having dragons, provided you actually remember that you are Mother of Dragons.

hampig fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 17, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

About Arya's assassination: where is it said that the Faceless Men's coins are poisonous? I must have glazed over that.

It isn't. We do know however that there are people in the temple of black and white who work with poisons all day and that Arya has been training with poisons. It's not exactly a stretch to assume that Arya poisoned the coin, or had access to such.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Silas the Mariner posted:

They're not poisonous are they? I took it to mean that she gave him the false coin so that whoever he did business with would be paid in false coinage, realise it and kill him for it. Thereby killing him with no attachment to the Faceless Men.

It wasn't the man she was killing she switched coins with, it was the person dealing with him. She switches the coins, random guy gives poisoned coin(s) to the guy who needs killing, he bites it to make sure it's real (as she has previously noted him doing), dies from poison.

edit: also blatantly stealing this from another forum because it pretty much sums up why i'm not too disappointed in the Meereen storyline

quote:

While some people were frustrated by the Dany storyline, I think it's actually put everything together. There's going to be a massive battle at Meereen that will involve Victarion attacking from the sea (possibly using the horn to get Viseryion and Rhaegon to fight for him), Barristan sallying forth from the city, Tyrion/Second Sons/Tattered Prince and some of the other mercenaries turning on the Yunkai, and Dany arriving at the head of a Dothraki khalassar. At the end of the day, Dany will have a massive army, a massive fleet to carry it, [and] dragons she can control

With the important addition that not only might she arrive with a khalasar, she might even realise that she has dragons that she's willing to use. Of course almost none of this is guaranteed knowing GURM, but it's plausible enough that I'm not losing any sleep over where Dany's last chapter leaves off.

Bran on the other hand feels like his storyline is missing a chapter.

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 17, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

What the hell chapter was that? I missed that completely.

It's all hints and subtext, very easy to miss.

It's easier to miss than, for example, Theon being a eunuch, which I predict will be the new "Loras and Renly are gay?!?!"

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Jimbola posted:

I feel so dumb, I missed all of these. Where does it imply that Theon was gelded?

Xander77 posted:

When he starts listing stuff Ramsay removed, he ends with "and that... other thing".

And then after that there is lots of "but we know you aren't a man, Reek", then when he thinks he might have to take off his clothes in front of people he freaks the gently caress out and then he's all "but I can't..." with Jeyne Pool.

I love that there are things you can puzzle out before they're made explicit if you're lucky/attentive. My biggest AHA moment was realizing that Abel and his girls were Mance and the spearwives before the reveal, I really powered through the Theon chapters after that. Even things I completely missed like the Rat Cook are very nearly as satisfying when pointed out afterwards.

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 18, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

As weak as CoK is, the assault on King's Landing was terrific and we haven't had a big set piece like that in awhile. Feels like in the last two books Martin has over relied on the same formula for big events: build up to the inciting moment and later cut to a little while after everything settles down. What I love about that King's Landing battle was the multiple, scattered, semi-concurrent narratives of the different characters--Tyrion, Sansa, Davos--and their unique experiences providing an encompassing, tense, epic perspective into the invasion.

There have been mentions in interviews that he didn't know where to stop, there was a chance Dance might have gone further. The situation in Meereen is poised for something very much like the Battle of the Blackwater though, as people have pointed out - Victarion arriving on ship, Barristan on foot, Tyrion with the free companies and Dany as a *WILDCARD*.

I think Jon's arc definitely has a climax though. His story is quite a steady progression, with everything he has done as Lord Commander culminating in his getting stabbed. Maybe the only thing that stops it feeling like a true climax is that there is no Sansa-looks-at-a-head-on-a-stick chapter afterwards, so it feels more like a cliffhanger. I personally wouldn't have said no to another Melisandre chapter after that :)

hampig fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 18, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
That Ramsay has captured and tortured Mance Rayder, as is implied in the letter, is simply more plausible. Ramsay has written the letter and include in it some truth (he has Mance, he believes Jeyne has escaped) and some lies (Stannis dead - we know this is highly unlikely because Jeyne is with Stannis). We know the escape went wrong, we know they got separated from Mance, we know at least a couple of the spearwives are dead or captured. The details that only Mance could know is Ramsay's proof that he has Mance - it's in there to strengthen his lie at the start. Mance has no motivation to write it.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 19, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
You can send a piece of skin from anyone, that information could only have come from Mance.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
A nice catch from someone on the on the westeros forums:

quote:

Melisandre is a slave with no slave tattoo, I think her entire appearance could be a glamour.

Obviously, this means Melisandre is actually Syrio Forel.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Kainser posted:

Did I miss something while reading the book? Isn't Melisandre from Asshai and has nothing at all to do with Volantis where they do mark slaves?

e; Then again, the only thing I remember from the Melisandre chapter is that Devan is in love with her :3:

Yeah, I guess I assumed that she was born in Asshai, but sold into slavery as a red priestess somewhere we've seen (that's what all the Melony, Lot 73 business is about). We know she can't have been in Braavos since they don't allow slavery, so I figured that left Volantis. I suppose since we know nothing about it, it could all have been in Asshai.

hampig fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

So after her chapter and Jon's, what exactly do we know she can do? Glamours, shadow babies, and seeing visions she really sucks at interpreting. Everything else is smoke and mirrors tricks.

Well she can just flat out set poo poo on fire, which is kinda cool. Jury is out on the leeches/blood magic.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought he was castrated? "He only took my fingers and that... other thing". When some people try to bath him he freaks out because "They'll see." Also, he couldn't do anything but eat out Jeyne.

It makes much more sense if you read it as if Ramsay lopped off his dick. I've just been saying eunuch for convenience because honestly, I don't want to dwell on the specifics (his fingers were flayed until he begged for them to be cut off...:cry: :aaa:).

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Targaryen loyalists and mercenaries land near Storm's End. Dany flies. Once. The wildings now help man the wall. Stannis is working on taking the north.

1000 pages and the overarching plot goes loving nowhere. The chapters just really wander all over the loving place and none of it matters.

You know that all of what you listed probably does more for the overarching plot than anything in the first 3 books right?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Caufman posted:

It's subtle, but the way she's holding Oathkeeper suggested to me that she shouted "Sword" and is leading Jamie to Catelyn/his death.

This is what I'm worried about too :ohdear:

I find myself wondering about the characters who disappeared very early in Feast (= also the people who we haven't from since Dance). For all we know, Sansa is now married to the Warden of the East and wandering around with all the knights of the Vale while Jaime+Brienne+Stoneheart could turn up practically anywhere at the start of the next book if Jaime got them moving somewhere.

Although I'm not really understanding all the complaining about cliffhangers. This isn't something new or unique to the last two books.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

I missed that when I read it. I thought when he went into the Shieldhall and read the letter he had asked everyone present if they would go with him.Taking wildlings only makes that quite a bit better. Thanks!

His decision to intervene is perfectly understandable when you realise that he's on the edge between boyhood and manhood, he has stood by and seen his family destroyed (no matter how hard done by he feels), he has actual emotions since he isn't a robot disguised as the Lord Commander and now he has a real, close, opportunity to help one of them.

His "I won't make anyone come with me" speech was an exercise in sophistry however, though maybe not intentional; he might have succeeded in deluding himself.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Neurosis posted:

Seems silly when we had a chapter dedicated to him resolving to be a harder man. Obviously he failed, but that seems kind of dumb.

I guess it's just something that kinda bugs me with discussion of the series. Jon makes basically one mistake, caused by human emotion, and people are all that's not what he's done in the past. It's kinda the whole point.

There are precisely two characters who always make the smart decision in this series - Varys and Littlefinger - and even them I hesitate to put on the list. It always seems pretty conspicuous to me when some characters make questionable, emotional, decisions and get off scot free (from reader condemnation that is) while others are stupid for doing the same kind of thing, or even less.

It's just seems weird to me, because I've always felt that one of the main strengths of the series is that the characters are human and flawed. I can't really agree that those flaws are just in for narrative convenience.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Also Dany didn't just luck into her situation. She made some very intelligent choices and was an excellent tactician until she stopped to rule Mereen. Whereupon she put on a tokar and sat on a pyramid and whined about the bad things that were happening. I believe that this is some attempt to show the instability of the Targayeans in her, but it shouldn't make her retarded. Wild maybe, but not boring.

It's a lesson for her on how ruling differs from conquering. Some people might think that it's smart to try and learn how to rule if you have intentions to conquer an entire kingdom, especially when your predecessors include Mad Aerys, Robert 'whoring, drinking and hunting' Baratheon and Joffrey. It's not exactly the first time this theme has come up in the series (it's basically the entire reason no-one wants Stannis, not to mention a large part of the downfall of Robert and the Targaryens), Dany by at least trying to give a gently caress has an edge over basically every other contender for the Iron Throne.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 21, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I really liked Dance, by the way. It seems to me that ASoIaF is going to be centered around two climactic "peaks." We've already had one of them in Storm, and Dance appears to be the Clash equivalent for the second half of the series, building up the various storylines that will lead to a massive climax in Winds. The Others have got to attack in that book, and it seems like that attack is going to come in the middle of a huge battle for the North.

Feast + Dance doesn't feel like Clash to me. They feel like GoT before Ned gets his head cut off. ie. good, but setting the scene and moving pieces into place for the next books that will follow.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Brannock posted:

Lots of EVENTS and character development happened, I recognize that, but I feel like we're still in the same place we were at the end of Storm of Swords: the realm is incredibly destabilized, people are dying left and right and there's a food crisis, the Others are abooooout to invade, and Daenerys is off in Essos.

This is where we were at the end of Clash of Kings, so I guess that means nothing happened in Storm of Swords either?

I still don't think the Iron Throne is going to be the hard part though, the hard part is going to be making the Others interesting. How do you have political machinations, intrigue and betrayal when one side is an unrelenting force of nature? How do you stop the series from turning into high magic good guys vs bad guys, when the guys who have been set up to invade from the first chapter of book one are (so far) the definition of unthinking evil?

I'm very interested to see how he keeps the tone of the series once the Others really come into play, we've only had tiny hints so far that there are forces who might be with the Others, and even then it's more groups that might be opposed to groups who might be able to deal with the Others.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Who was that Quaithe person who Dany kept hallucinating and she said a bunch of prophetic crap that didn't even end up coming true, like beware the lion and the griffin and she didn't meet either of them and the perfumed seneschal who didn't do anything particularly bad

She was one of the three people who came to Dany when her little khalasar was nearly dead after crossing the desert. She turns up like once per book to tell Dany the same thing about heading east to go west etc. She's also one of like 2 people we know of who is from Asshai.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Ray_ posted:

Does anyone think that this is justice?

Seems like a travesty to me and one more count against Dany being a good and just ruler.

Really? Not giving someone a house is now a 'travesty'?

Meanwhile she's the only person on the entire continent who seems to think it isn't ok to treat people as chattel, and that makes her not good and just?

I'm not going to argue she's perfect, and I'm not going to argue that she's making all the smart decisions, because she really isn't. But there is a reason for all her lovely decisions - she pays more attention to the welfare of all her subjects than virtually any other leader in the series, and is also basically the only ruler who seems to recognise that her subjects are actual people. A few isolated incidents where her crazy Targ side overrules her judgement is not nearly enough to say she isn't good.

Also good =/= just. See: Stannis

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
I find myself wondering whether Stannis has bought into Melisandre's whole R'hllor deal. When you first meet him he doesn't seem too enthused, but he's the kind of character where if he didn't believe he was actually wielding Lightbringer he would be the first one call it out. He certainly is pragmatic enough to see its value and power, but I wonder whether he has fully given himself over.

I think Stannis' sense of justice and duty will make for very interesting dynamics if/when he discovers that a) he is not Azor Ahai/Prince who was promised and b) there is a claimant to the throne whom he is happy to support over himself. I might be ambivalent towards Stannis as a leader, but I think he would make a kickass 2IC.

I'm also curious about what Victarion's dusky woman knows about the red priests that would make her try and attack Moqorro on sight.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 23, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
I think it's a little more than that. I don't think he really wants to be on the throne at all, because he's tired of being overshadowed or for any other reason. But he honestly, truly believes that as the next in the line of succession, he MUST do everything in his power to sit the throne. If he was simply a pragmatist I'm sure he would have supported Renly, but the point is that (for whatever reason) he feels absolutely bound by duty and by the law. It's that trait that'll make it so interesting if he comes across someone who appears to have a better claim than him - he's the only one of the players who will relinquish his claim, if the right reasons present themselves.

As an aside, it's often presented that the people who favor the rule of law don't have the best interests of the realm at heart (Ned, Stannis). I don't think it's that simple. Rules of succession are in place so that, among other reasons (holding onto power), the Seven Kingdoms don't descend into civil war every single time a monarch dies. You can make a very strong case that even if, in this one case, it might be ok to ignore the laws, you still shouldn't because it's not a precedent you want to set if you have the good of the realm in mind.

Linguica posted:

What's the deal with Lightbringer anyway?

I'm tempted to say that it's a glamor and Melisandre knows the sword is fake, but her POV seems to suggest that she truly thinks Stannis is Azor Ahai, so why would she make a fake sword for him?

I was wondering the same thing. We know for sure now that Melisandre can maintain a glamor, but in the same book we don't get any indication that she's faking it. Maybe it needs to be tempered properly.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 23, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
Well I think the idea is the he doesn't get to pick and choose the bits of the law he likes. It's not just in this one issue that he chooses to be stubborn about the law. It's a huge part of his character. He knights Davos while cutting off his fingers and insists on burning Mance even when he has strong personal and political reasons not to. I don't disagree that his choices harm the chances of a Baratheon dynasty, I just don't think he gives a toss about establishing a dynasty.

There are hints throughout that Robert's rebellion made Stannis very uneasy. I don't think Stannis is ignorant of the fact that the throne is decided by force - that would be Viserys. But I think he's guided by the view that the right thing to do is what the law says in the first place, and if that needs to be backed up by force, so be it. That same view might also mean he could be convinced to step aside for someone he thinks is placed before him - so far no-one has given him that choice, he has only been given arguments driven by pragmatism or self-interest.

hampig fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 23, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

But who is Stannis's real queen? :smug:

What I was thinking is that if Stannis has really, truly bought into the R'hllor/Azor Ahai deal, when he finds out that it isn't him we'll be left with a fervent follower of a god with a penchant for kings' blood, who also happens to be a king.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

quote:

Don't Littlefinger and Varys discuss how much they cost when they think about sending them after Dany? If so, then they're in it for the money too.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I think faceless men charge a lot because you're guaranteed a successful kill. The only example of price I can remember is the waif tells Arya that her father's price for the death of her stepmother was 2/3rds of his money or something along those lines.

The point is that the cost is such that you're unlikely to get anything more than that person dying, which makes a twisted kind of sense for a group who consider the assassinations a 'sacrament' to their god.

So examples are they killed a woman would would get half her husband's fortune; the husband hired the faceless men to kill her, but they asked for her half as payment. Littlefinger and Varys discussed hiring a faceless man to assassinate Dany - for the same price they could likely hire an army to do it instead.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

literallyincredible posted:

Everyone want something--what do the Faceless Men want?

There's no reason not to think of them as what they seem to be on the surface - a quasi-religious order that worships Death. What they want is to serve Death, and they seem to be doing a pretty good job.

Jaqen might be evidence of another motive, but you could equally read his actions as simply manoeuvring to carry out a contract.

It also isn't a stretch to think that a group that worships Death and thinks of death as sacred might be violently opposed to things like undead wights and raising people from the dead.

hampig fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 24, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Arya had an interesting story but unfortunately the entire Faceless Men plot is absolutely ridiculous in a world that seems otherwise believable, even considering the magic and dragons. The Faceless Men are simply too ridiculously perfect in a world that is otherwise relatively realistically imperfect.

Linguica posted:

This is pretty strong language considering we've seen basically nothing of how the Faceless Men actually work as an organization

Yeah, especially since, as someone said above, the first one we met was stuck in the black cells of the Red Keep.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I apologize if this is sacriledge and i fully admit not reading the first books (Dance with dragons is the first one i have read) so i might be missing something obvious, but i don't see very strong ties for Dany to Westeros. She has never herself set foot on the continent as she was born on a ship that was fleeing and she knows literally no-one there. All there is is her families historical ties. Her ties to the free cities and slavers bay seem stronger at the moment. She spent her entire childhood wandering the free cities, she spent a great deal of her adolescence traveling the Dothraki sea and now consider's herself mother (and is considered mother by) all the freed slaves not just in Mereen but as far as Volantis (The window in volantis says "tell her we are waiting, tell her to come soon")

For someone who hasn't read the rest of the series, you have a better grip on Dany than so many people who have. Kudos. You're right, she has more ties to the Free Cities, more ties to Slaver's Bay and more ties to her freed slaves than to anyone in Westeros. She has no incentive to take the Iron Throne and plenty of reasons to stay where she is.

You might take issue with GRRM for not having given her a reason to go yet, but I don't see how you can take issue with the character for not having gone already.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

I was thinking about the last daenerys chapter and this is how I interpreted it: She got pregnant because all conditions of the prophecy have been fulfilled:
Sun sets in the east (= prince of Dorne dies in Mereen),
Mountains blowing in the wind are pyramids that are literally crumbling because of the 2 dragons and they also represent the ancient power structures in Mereen that have been replaced with Baristan Selmy's council
The sea running dry is the Dothraki sea running dry because of the coming winter.

The 'prophecy' wasn't about her getting pregnant though. It was one of the conditions, alongside those you listed. The result of it, if you believe it, is that when all the conditions are met Drogo will return to normal.

I still think it was just MMD being a douche and not a prophecy at all, but I guess we'll see.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Rurik posted:

And is it just me or does GRRM hate singer and performing artists? Marillion was an rear end in a top hat who was put to death because of false accusations, Blue Bard was tortured till he went mad, the Singer's Stew... And Penny and Groat were named after the smallest of coins. And Groat was killed for no reason. And Penny's and Groat's dog and pig were most probably killed.

Mance Rayder and Tom of Sevenstrings have some quality time with your womenfolk and beg to differ.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Maarak posted:

He's moving past the world of mortal men, becoming something better, and different...

You're reading way more into this than what we know. Not that it isn't plausible, but we know precisely nothing about how he is feeling, in fact, the last time we checked in on him as he was warging into trees, he has the reactions and emotions of Bran the crippled kid. Nothing we know about Bran (yet) says he will stop feeling for the people close to him, unlike say Arya who is going to fail her training, emerge as a robot, or with a vanishingly small chance pass with her personality intact. In fact what little we know about wargs tends to indicate that they strongly retain their personality, even after dying.

As for Hodor, Jojen and Meera, it might not be as safe as say, chilling in Dorne, but I'd rate 'hanging out in a cave with the Children' as safer than Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Jaime, Theon or Asha.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Bran is a selfish dick

Not that it excuses it, but this is pretty much the defining characteristic of males aged 5-15 (and that's being generous).

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 2, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Rhymenoceros posted:

Being able to see the entire history of Westeros though, don't you think he'll gain some perspective? Couldn't it make his own and his friends' lives seem insignificant?

Oh as I said it's completely possible that he sees the encroaching threat and decides he needs to save humanity.

It's just as plausible though that he goes the other way, and decides that yes, he has stuff to do, but he'll do it for Meera, Jojen, Hodor, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Ned and Lyanna.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Maarak posted:

What makes Leaf so trustworthy though? Of all the fantasy tropes that GRRM choose to subvert, why would he leave his elves as paragons of good, ready to aid the humans no matter what? Dwindling numbers, and being forced to dwell in the far north only make it seem more likely they've allied with the Others.

There is a lot of ground to cover before you get from 'paragons of good' to 'allying with evil'.

Yeah I read books. posted:

Does anyone else think Dany might not even go to Westeros? She's never even really been there, and the only reason she even thinks about the throne is because people keep telling her that it's her right. She hasn't really shown that much interest herself, which is obvious by how loving stupid she is regarding Meereen and all that....she doesn't want to leave. These people are her children, what is Westeros to her when it comes down to it?

I don't see the promise of a war for the Iron Throne getting her there. Helping her long lost nephew she thought was dead might, and liberating a nation from evil undead weak-to-dragons walky things just might do the trick too. Or, if Victarion by some miracle actually makes off with her dragons, that'd do it too.

hampig fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Is it just me or are they hinting that "The Other" that Melisandre decries as the great evil actually the spiritual force behind Lord Brynden, the Greenseers and Children of the Forest, an aspect of the Old Gods?

There are hints, but no more than that. Melisandre sees Bloodraven/Bran (a thousand eyes etc.) and interprets them as her enemies, Bloodraven says to Bran that darkness is his friend, but there are also strong hints (ie. wights attacking Bran et al. right outside the Children's cave) that the darkness/Old Gods of the Children are antagonistic to whatever drives the Others.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

SharpyShuffle posted:

I mean Tyrion just spends the entire book being dragged around with no real choice in the matter: first by Illyrio, then Griff, then Jorah, then the slavers, then his owner...it's only at the end that he regains some element of control and becomes the scheming little Imp we care about

Ok I can't argue with that...but it's kinda the whole point. It's the entire reason for the arc being written. There's even the possibility that it instilled a little bit of humility in Tyrion, which was his biggest weakness. He might not have been treated like Jaime and he might have a healthy dose of self loathing, but for all that he was still arrogant and proud. I'd like to see what Tyrion is capable of doing now that he might not shoot himself in the foot all the time mouthing off.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
Did you just search and replace A Feast For Crows with A Dance With Dragons from the Bad Thread, or is that All New and Original HumorTM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

As much as medieval politicking is cool, I think it'd be totally rad/hilarious for Euron or Victarion to come riding in on loving dragons and blow poo poo up. Maybe in the middle of a big stupid feast, or a small council meeting too. It'd be akin to some rear end in a top hat running into a room and knocking over a house of cards that someone had spent hours trying to build.

If Euron got rock solid control of the dragons and started really, really, loving poo poo up, and Bran got enough control over the dark and icy magics up north, I reckon you could credibly turn Winter & the Others into 'good guys' with a bit of creativity.