Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

Rednik posted:

I don't think Aegon's alive. The guy who says he's Aegon is merely posing. Hence, mummer's dragon.

if we're not allowed to post spoilers i'll remove this immediately

to clear up any doubt that it's the real aegon: it's not like a guy shows up out of the blue and declares he's aegon. tyrion joins a party formed by illyrio and varys to go aid dany; the group consists of a septa, a maester, a sellsword,a couple of no consequence, and a man named griff and his son griff jr. tyrion concludes that griff jr. is someone of import because the boy is being trained to fight by the sellsword, getting instructions about the faith and history of westoros from the septa and maester, and notices that his hair is obviously dyed. he eventually pieces together that griff is jon connington and griff jr is aegon. connington confirms that it is indeed aegon, and that the baby gregor killed was a replacement put there by varys. conningon, the septa, and the maester have been grooming aegon for rule the entire time. connington's POV ends with him, aegon, and the golden company preparing to take back storm's end :krad:.

this is all made possible by varys, who remained at court after the end of Aerys's rule in order to sew as much discord as possible to leave the realm vulnerable for aegon's eventual return. he confirms this to a dying kevan lannister in the epilogue after delivering a fatal crossbow to the abdomen.

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

I've spoiled myself pretty significantly and the reason he dies is pretty loving depressing.

also, i think a major contributing factor was jon allowing all of the wildlings through the wall and settling them in abandoned night's watch fortresses. this only validated those in the watch that secretly harbored suspicions that he was still for the wildlings. his reasoning is that they will help fortify the wall and the fewer dead wildlings there are beyond the wall, the fewer wights the watch will have to fight in the inevitable invasion.

i finished the book this weekend. if there's any more interest in spoilers i'd be happy to help as much as possible. i'm relatively new to the series. having just read the previous books in april in preparation for the HBO show, there's probably a ton of connections i've missed that you guys can probably help me with. apologizing in advance if this comes off disconcerted, still processing everything myself.

the reek/theon chapters were easily my favorites, second to jon's, whose were always fairly depressing at times. the bolton family is beyond hosed up and, somehow, roose manages to be more despicable than ramsay.

edit:

Paper Lion posted:

Point is, don't be slamming on Dance. I'm not sure if it was worth waiting through 6 years of water damaged calendars, NFL, pizza and Wild Cards bullshit, but it's a drat strong addition to the saga.

also, when you considered that it was supposed to be one volume which included AFFC (i think, right?), it's a major advancement for the ASOIAF story and its characters. If AFFC and ADWD were to be combined as originally intended, I think "a feast for crows" would win as the more appropriate chapter. with the death of tywin in ASOS, i feel it heralded a new generation of players who needed to step up replace important characters in the ASOIAF series that died in books 1-4, like aemon, ned, robert, the arthur daynes and howland reeds, ect. i really enjoyed adwd.

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

CronnySockett posted:

I...really didn't think that was possible. Then again, I guess you can't expect a kid to be raised in a place called the Dreadfort with a family history of skinning people to come out normal.

this is from roose to ramsay, referring to theon: "Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother. it's easily one of my favorite lines in the book because it's so :wtf:. he's as terrible, if not worse, than ramsay; he has less of a reputation because he's lowkey and deliberately cultivates a boring image for himself. but yeah, "dreadfort" is a dead loving giveaway, i mean cmon! there should have been routine inspections on that creepy motherfucker. seriously, if you go into something unironically called the "dreadfort", then gently caress you, youre ridiculous.

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 7, 2011

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

Ray_ posted:

The Boltons have thoroughly broken him.

one of the most heartbreaking parts in theon's story was when he took down the greyjoy banners when ramsay sent him to negotiate for moat caitlin. he's so far gone that the gold and black of his house doesnt even resonate with him anymore. it's not just out of fear of death that he doesn't reveal arya as an impostor, he believes ramsay to be his master and doesn't want to betray him.

Ray_ posted:

She's so loving stupid.

this. i think she's the mummer's dragon that she saw in her prophecy. towards the end, even she starts to realize that she has failed to live up to her family's legacy. daario also says as much. after reading ADWD, i could not care less about what happens to the people south of moat caitlin. i just hope that the north can continue as a separate sovereign nation.

i enjoyed the budding brolationship between victarion and moqorro. my only fear is that moqorro will misinterpret something in the fire and victarion will flip out and kill him.

how arya might return to the larger story: could she end up working as an assassin for varys? the robes the children wore in the epilogue werent black and white and could have been similar to the robes varys wears, but nonetheless the robes and children brought me back to the house of the many faced god.

some evidence that also suggests that jon is azor ahai reborn:

Melisandre posted:

Yet now she could not even seem to find her king. I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and Rh'llor shows me only Snow.

the snow she sees could possibly be the blizzard stannis gets caught in, but "Snow" is capitalized which makes me think it refers to jon.

\/\/\/
edit:

Rootbeer Baron posted:

This is so ridiculous I'm having trouble even believing it.

it's never explicitly stated that he's been castrated, but in recounting all of the appendages he has lost, he says how ramsay cut off "that thing", which also led me to believe he cut off his dick too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

whowhatwhere posted:

You forgot a 16 year old queen banging everything that's vaguely attractive.

She has sex with two people, the second person being her husband. There is the fling with Daario, but to her credit (not that she would need to justify it in any way, she's a young girl and the queen, she can do as she pleases) she ends her relationship with him and weds a mereenese noble whom she has absolutely no love for in order to protect her city. She overprioritizes mereen, but her time there prepares her for playing on the bigger stage of westoros.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I take it you think the book will not be terrible and not full of castrated Theon cunnilingus?

It's not? It's never explicitly stated that he has been castrated and he only goes down on her the one time.

The boltons aren't an unimaginable, monolithic evil; they're psychopaths who, because of their station, can do whatever they want without censure. And they've lived like this not for years, but for centuries. Their crest is a symbol of human suffering, and the culture of their house is one that celebrates wanton cruelty. After a while, they just do terrible things out of boredom and keep pushing boundaries for the sake of new stimulation. A close ally of Roose says she doesn't believe he's playing the game of thrones because he's covetous of power, but because plays purely out of the enjoyment of loving with people. The same way that Theon is a pet to Ramsay, Ramsay is a pet to Roose. Roose does and says things to provoke him but knows he wont retaliate because at any time Roose can take away all of Ramsay's power. I just loving loved the Boltons in this book, I could talk about them for hours.

Also, don't let little snippets lead you to believe ADWD is a bad book, because it's not, it's great. Like the previous entries in the series, there is rich detail and character growth (Selmy's chapters were few but amazing) so tangential details shouldn't be taken as whole representations of what happens. They're taken out of context, which I think is everything in this series. I've always loved ASOIAF for the little details, which ADWD has a lot of. Sorry for going long. I'm just getting bummed out by some of the "gently caress you martin, this was a failure :colbert:" by people who haven't read it yet.

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 11, 2011

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

:siren: GEORGE R R MARTIN ACCOUNT SPOTTED :siren:

You understand that people are calling it a failure because the main plotlines seemingly go nowhere, and actually regress in one case? Maybe that Selmy poo poo is really awesome, but people mostly care about Tyrion, Jon, and Dany.

Alright, well the first two do advance, and I would say Dany's does too, unless your only criteria for her progressing is getting from essos to westoros and not how her character changes in between. And if you're dismayed that I'm not being more critical it's because I read with the belief (perhaps erroneously) that the book is supposed to be complementary to AFFC, so I wasn't disappointed when Dany, Tyrion, and Jon didn't storm king's landing on dragons to reclaim the iron throne. ADWD doesn't wrap up the ASOIAF series, but it does reconnect major characters to the post-ASOS world and moves the story where the next major war is on the horizon.

I've always enjoyed the minor characters more than Tyrion, Jon, or Dany (Jaime, Tywin, and Peytr are my favorites in that order), so maybe I wasn't expecting much from them. I was disappointed that Jaime only had one chapter, but it's cool because he got to shine some in AFFC.

edit:
too much unending praise. for the sake of balance: sansa and catelyn are vapid cunts, brienne is morally unipolar, not enough tyrion + bronn, and pretend i made an esoteric joke about lemon cakes or wildcards here <~~~

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 11, 2011