Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Why, the second Missandei was killed, did no one kill Qyburn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Bear and the Maiden Fair = Blurred Lines

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I watched The Sopranos well after its heyday and it did take me a while to get into too, but mostly because I felt like I'd seen so much of it already thanks to the wave of prestige shows that followed it stealing most of its tricks

I agree with this - watching Sopranos (I think I watched the whole thing right around the time the final season was airing, so caught up as it finished), after a great first season I gradually found myself realizing that I hated literally every character on the show and wanted them all to die and never have to see them again.

Conversely Breaking Bad for example was smart enough as its protagonist got worse and worse to foreground other characters you could still root for and care about (and as comic characters got more serious, bring in ringers like Saul to fill the void)... so you could enjoy a bunch of crazy criminal hijinks without wishing for a comet to wipe out their fictional earth. Like a lot of pioneers, once Sopranos blazed the trail a bunch of others took their formula and did it better.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

You must've loved the ending

I did!

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

the expanse crew has too much agency. they feel like a superhero team

They basically are, as it's apparently all a novelization of a RPG campaign.

Learning this ruined it for me entirely.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Normy posted:

That's not entirely true. The series is based in the setting but not exactly the story of a campaign that was played.

Thanks, knowing that actually helps.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Aren't the cooking techniques described in ASOIAF like, pretty advanced and modern? I doubt even royalty really ate like that until 2-3 hundred years ago.

I'd wager two capons you're correct.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Cause that bastard hasn't finished the backstory of the Finn and Sawyer families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

That’s what I said, now