Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Darth Windu posted:

Roose doesn't seem any worse than, say, Tywin Lannister. He is not shown as being cruel in any manner. He is simply utilitarian to a terrifying degree.
Dude, did you read Theon's chapters at all?

Roose Bolton posted:

“This miller’s marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he was swaying. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day.

doctor thodt posted:

Which is stupid, because the implication was obviously that Cersei and Jaime are secret Targs.
Not at all. It isn't said or implied that Aerys hosed Joanna on Tywin's wedding night, just that his actions were inappropriate.

The point of the story was to show that Aerys wanted Joanna.

Space Pussy posted:

If the naked septa is actually Ashara, then I rather like the Brandon Stark date raped her theory and hope it's true. At this point, R+L=J would almost seem too obvious.

They separate Aegon from Elia, Lyanna (future queen) becomes his milk-mother and that would explain why the Kingsguard is there. Lyanna dies giving birth to a stillborn girl, a story Ashara uses to fake her own suicide so she can raise Aegon. Ned takes his brother rape spawn in hopes it doesn't turn out to be another Ramsey, sworn to secrecy by two women he cared about.

A nice correlation to Jon playing baby-switch with Monster and Mance's kid.

regulargonzalez posted:

Timeline doesn't work, impossible for Jon to be B+A unless he were a couple years older. Harrenhal was something like two years before Robert's Rebellion.

There's a theory that Brandon Stark raped Ashara Dayne? I pride myself on knowing most viable theorie (and even coming up with a few), but I've never heard that one nor do I remember reading any hints at it.
When was Brandon even in a position to rape Ashara Dayne? Dude lived in Winterfell and only came south before his death for the tourney at Harrenhal - where Ned danced with and fell in love with and dishonored (according to Barristan) her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to ask. I got the Lyanna / Ned thing, but were we supposed to know anything about the other Winterfell Weirdwood scenes? Specifically, the arrows?

I don't think we are, though the pregnant lady seems very very familiar, I just can't put my finger on it.

It wasn't supposed to be Lyanna and Ned fighting, I think, but it was Lyanna and Benjen. The girl is described as being older than the boy, and Lyanna wasn't older than Ned.

Aurubin posted:

In ADwD news, who thinks the Harpy is the Green Grace? Let's Scooby Doo this poo poo.
That's what I think - I posted it earlier. Starting to think I posted way too much before most people finished the book!

Like I had said: a harpy is a woman and the Green Grace is the only Mereenese noblewoman we know, she is VERY sympathetic to the Sons of the Harpy, urges Dany to marry a Ghiscari, etc.

Tiger Crazy posted:

Jon's chapters had ups and down, on one side he was dealing with Stannis and getting poo poo done preparing for the Others. The downside was oh no who will think of the Wildlings every loving chapter(You know nothing) and my vows.
It helps to understand Jon's actions when you realize that it's not so much that he cares for the wildlings, he just doesn't want to supply the Others with thousands of corpses ready to be wight-ified.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

dumb brunette posted:

Also, Jojen asking Bran several times during the course of the story if he was sure Ned hadn't told him this before. Why would he be so sure Ned would tell about something Howland did?

Petyr was the one who coined the phrase "war of the three queens" and was specifically referring to Sansa being crowned as Queen in the North when he unveils her. I don't think anyone is factoring in Dany.

I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if Littlefinger had knowledge of Dany and what's going on. Gulltown is his place, his business is trade, and he makes a point to learn EVERYTHING.
THe council scene in ADWD has them mentioning Dany and her dragons, and that doesn't take place long after Littlefinger's conversation with Sansa I think. Whatever the small council knows, you better believe that Littlefinger knew it a year before.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

EC posted:

I didn't get this either. Jon has spent his entire time on the Wall obeying his vows and following his oath, even when it required that he join the Wildlings for awhile. He held on to the Wall through Ned, Robb, Bran & Rickon, Sansa, and Arya all dying. One letter labeled Bastard from a crazy motherfucker that just took over Winterfell is all it takes to rile him up?
I think it might have been the proverbial straw on the camel's (oval office. <3 arya) back.

It's true that the letter states that Ramsay doesn't have Arya, but it does say that he lost her and that Stannis is destroyed...so where is she? That's probably what Jon is thinking: his little sister escaped from the most psychotic person in Westeros outside of GREGOR, but now's she wandering around the North in the snow with said psycho hunting her.

Of course he's going to go rescue her if he can. It's not at all like the other situations. Someone he loves is in extreme and urgent need of help, he's pretty much the only person who can help her, and she's really close.

Ned: way way way south in King's Landing, no way for him to actually get to Joffrey to kill him. Besides, the horse has left the barn: Ned was already dead. No rescuing possible.
Robb: Same as Ned, pretty much.
Bran and Rickon: he was with the wildlings when they "died" I'm pretty sure, and by the time he heard about it the responsible party (Theon) was already killed/captured. Nothing for Jon to do at that point.
Sansa: pretty sure he never thought she was dead?
Arya: he thought she probably died in KL with Ned, so same thing applies.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Decius posted:

Jon tried to use the Night's Watch to meddle in the affairs of the realm by riding to Winterfell to rescue "Arya" - and he skirted the line already before.
No, he wasn't using the Night's Watch for that. He was sending them to Hardhome and he was going to Winterfell by himself. It was an important distinction that he made, in his mind at least.

Jon's last chapter posted:

“The Night’s Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms,” Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. “It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Bolton, to avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughter. This creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words … but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.
“The Night’s Watch will make for Hardhome. I ride to Winterfell alone, unless …” Jon paused. “… is there any man here who will come stand with me?”
Then a few paragraphs down:

Jon again posted:

Yarwyck and Marsh were slipping out, he saw, and all their men behind them. It made no matter. He did not need them now. He did not want them. No man can ever say I made my brothers break their vows. If this is oathbreaking, the crime is mine and mine alone.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

EC posted:

But think about everything Jon had been doing leading up to him getting the letter: preparing the wall for all out war with the Others. Manning castles, preventing wholesale slaughter and death of the wildlings (thus preventing the creation of wights), borrowing gold to buy food for the winter, sealing partnerships with the wildlings to use them as a fighting force, and going so far man an entire castle with spear wives. Then one letter from a psycho bastard makes him go crazy?

Again, I think the key is Arya. He thinks she's out there all alone in the wilderness, being hunted by a loving psychopath who flays women, and she's relatively close to where he's at. He can save her.

It's not about revenge or the threat Ramsay made to cut out his heart or even about rescuing Mance. It might be all of those things for the wildlings, but not for Jon Snow.

Look at the speech he made to get the wildlings to pledge him their swords. He doesn't even mention Arya in it. Yet look at his thoughts right after reading the letter:

Jon posted:

Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon’s breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady’s coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest. I made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … I want my bride back …
“I think we had best change the plan,” Jon Snow said.
They talked for the best part of two hours.

It seems obvious to me. He's reflecting on all of his brothers and sisters that he's lost. Every single one is dead, as far as he knows, except Sansa who's disappeared and may be dead. Now Arya - the one he was closest to, probably - has re-appeared after he thought she'd been dead for a few years (give or take), and she's in desperate need of him. Look at the last thought he has - repeating Ramsay's words over and over again. He can't let her be captured by Ramsay.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

kazil posted:

Can someone explain the whole Lady Lemore = Ashara Dayne? I thought Dayne threw herself from a tower, that seems like a death that would have many witnesses. Is there any evidence that Lemore is Dayne and not who she says she is?
Gonna quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Ray_ posted:

Hmm, dirty old man Barristan the Bold was in freakin love with Ashara Dayne. He thinks she killed herself out of grief for the stillborn daughter she lost and perhaps for Ned.
Looking as if Ned maybe DID father a bastard, but she was stillborn.

Lady Lemore is Ashara Dayne. Has to be. It makes too much drat sense.
Connington faked his death in order to raise Aegon, and Ashara did the same thing.
She's still beautiful despite being older, description puts her right about Ned's age it sounds like.
She's got old stretch marks from having a baby - a stillborn daughter, perhaps?
She's referred to as "Lady" Lemore and not as Septa. That's a very specific honorific for Westerosi.

Rhaegar's really close friend as a surrogate father for his son.
Elia's really close friend as a surrogate mother for her son.

The only thing holding it back from 100% is that, near as I can tell, there's no description of Lady Lemore's hair/eye coloring.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Diving Buttress posted:

They said Ashara's body was never found. Lemore's also very beautiful for her age. GRRM hasn't mentioned her eye color, though, which would give it away (Ashara had purple eyes and fair hair).

Dark hair, actually. According to Barristan.

EC posted:

I'll come over to your side of thinking on this one, I suppose. Jon's an emotional guy, who has spent the latest part of his life seeing people he loves brutally murdered and trying to save a land that doesn't particularly care to be saved. It still seems a bit...crazy, though, even given the circumstances. (:highfive: on the LSU av, by the way)
The whole way it all went down seemed crazy. What was with the giant killing Ser Patrek? Wonder if it had to do with Seleyse arranging Val's marriage to him?

Jon intentionally made it sound like it was about vengeance and justice and stuff to get the wildlings to go along with it. I think the fact that he presented it that way in his speech has got readers confused and thinking what he said in his speech were his true motivations. Even though he never came out and said to himself, "I'm going to go save my sister," the internal thoughts he had right after reading the letter points directly to it.

Hell yes, a fellow LSU fan?

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

kazil posted:

Well Tyrion calls Lemore more handsome than pretty.
She's older, of course she's lost some of her beauty.

quote:

Connington didn't so much fake his death as he left his life behind and people assumed he was dead. Ashara supposedly flung herself from a tower, didn't she?
No, I'm pretty sure he faked his death:

Connington posted:

So far as most of them were concerned, Connington had drunk himself to death in Lys after being driven from the company in disgrace for stealing from the war chest. The shame of the lie still stuck in his craw, but Varys had insisted it was necessary. “We want no songs about the gallant exile,” the eunuch had tittered, in that mincing voice of his. “Those who die heroic deaths are long remembered, thieves and drunks and cravens soon forgotten.”
And yes, Ashara Dayne supposedly killed herself by jumping off a tower and into a river below the castle.

quote:

Tyrion marks her past 40. Wasn't Ned mid-30s? I couldn't off on that, been a while since I read AGoT.
Ned would have been right about 40 in ADWD.

quote:

Referring to her as lady could be a courtesy or even a joke.
Jon Connington isn't really the joking type ;)
There's never been another septa referred to with the title "Lady" in any of the books. "Lady" is specifically reserved for women of noble birth even if they don't officially hold a Ladyship. Sansa is called Lady all the time, even though she doesn't hold a Ladyship title.
I really do think her being called "Lady Lemore" is a huge hint/clue.

quote:

Ser Rolly Duckfield seems to be exactly who he claims to be, just some dude that Connington knighted.
Yep, though I don't really know what that has to do with the topic. Are you saying that not everyone with Aegon is secretly nobility? If so, I definitely agree. I think Duck's story is 100% true.
Think is, Lemore doesn't even have a story. She never says what or how a septa from Westeros is doing halfway around the world raising an exiled and hidden prince. She has to be SOMEONE.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

kazil posted:

I think Duck pretty much shows that Connington is willing to let regular people around Aegon.
The impression I got was that Lemore was with Aegon and Connington from the beginning, with Haldon and Duck added later.

kazil posted:

That's exactly my point. Connington didn't fake his death, he just went into hiding and everyone assumed he was dead.
He faked getting kicked out of the Golden Company, went into hiding, then had Varys and Illyrio and probably Blackheart spread it out around that he drank himself to death.
How is that not faking his death?

kazil posted:

In the end, I just think it's really retarded for everyone to be someone. If there were solid evidence pointing to Lemore being Ashara, I'd agree with it, but at this point it's just a shot in the dark so three books later someone can say "See I told you so!"
Look, I tend to agree with you. The trope can get annoying very quickly when overdone.

Personally speaking though, I've been thinking that Ashara was alive for like 10+ years - ever since we learned the manner of her "death" and the fact that no body was ever found.

For me, it's not a case of thinking everyone has to be someone. Before ADWD, I came up with a theory that Ashara absconded with Baby Aegon. Aegon being revealed to be alive and to have been partly raised by an attractive Westerosi that people around called "Lady"...well, it begins to fit in with my theory. If you're interested, this is what I had come up with:

Ray_ posted:

For anyone that's interested, this was my pet theory about Ashara Dayne I came up with before ADWD:

Ray_ posted:

I think there's something up with Ashara Dayne, too, actually. Just not what you said.

I really think that Ashara absconded with baby Aegon. Ashara was mentioned as being a lady in waiting for Elia. Ned could have easily been the delivery guy for the baby when he brought Dawn to Starfall. Ashara then fakes her death - remember, her body was never found - and goes across the narrow sea with baby Aegon.

Either Ashara smuggled Aegon out to Starfall before the war.

Or - and I like this one even more - Aegon was at the Tower of Joy. It's mentioned all the time that it doesn't make sense for the LC of the Kingsguard and the greatest knight alive and some other KG dude to be guarding a kidnapped Lyanna, but it would make sense if they were there to guard the heir to the throne. That's sound logic, but people are usually thinking of Jon in that case. Jon wouldn't be the heir, though, Aegon would.

3 KG with Rhaegar on the Trident
1 KG with the actual king
3 KG (including the LC) with the two heirs to the throne - Aegon and fetus Jon

I could see 1 or even 2 KG with Lyanna to protect her and Jon. I can't see 3, especially when they include the loving Lord Commander and the goddamn Sword of the loving Morning. Not when there's only ONE left in the Red Keep to guard both the king and the heir. If the heir isn't at the Red Keep, though...

So Ned and his buddies kill the 3 Kingsguard. Ned finds Aegon being nursed by Wylla in one room, then finds his sister with Jon in another room. He brings the two babies, Wylla, and Dawn all to Starfall. He leaves Dawn and Aegon with Ashara, goes home with Jon, and Ashara leaves with Aegon.

It's a huge loving stretch and only makes sense because GURM won't confirm that Aegon's actually dead.
Going back and re-reading the posts about the theory is interesting, since we hadn't yet found out in ADWD that baby Aegon really was alive:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401916&pagenumber=287&perpage=40#post392755496
Again, this was well before ADWD. I tend to think the main idea is still viable - that Ashara Dayne had something to do with saving Baby Aegon.

Edit: Thing is, none of us know who she really is or if she's anyone at all. Tyrion mentions it being a mystery at one point and she simply seems like more than just a common-born septa.

Ray_ fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 17, 2011

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Xae posted:

If Ashara is Lenore then Ned was probably knee deep in the conspiracy. If I remember correctly after the ToJ he want to Starfall, where the Dayne's live shortly before Ashara jumped into the Sea. Did he meet the young Aegon there and realize there was still two claimants to the throne and help arrange them to be hidden?

Check out my post right above yours for my idea on that.

Brannock posted:

Who is Rowan? For a spearwife, she really loving hates Theon and seems to be very familiar with the Stark household.

She also knows who Arya is (though not her face), refers to her as "Lady Arya", and calls Theon a kinslayer.

Man, I was really curious about that while reading that chapter. I figured we'd find out she was some northerner that went with Mance, but we never found anything out about her. Now she's dead as a Ned and we'll never know.
I mean, why would a wildling have a problem with Theon using the Stark words?

In other book news, ADWD is selling like hotcakes (or hot pies, heh.):
http://books.usatoday.com/bookbuzz/post/2011/07/record-sales-for-george-rr-martins-a-dance-with-dragons/176909/1

quote:

George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, book five in his epic "A Song of Ice and Fire' series, had the highest single and first-day sales of any new fiction title published this year: 298,000 copies in print, digital, and audio formats, publisher Random House announced today.

On Tuesday, sales of 170,000 hardcovers (26% of the 650,000 pre-publication printings); 110,000 e-books; and 18,000 audio books were reported sold.

300,000 copies all together in one day. That sounds like a pretty large amount for medieval fantasy fiction.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

hhhmmm posted:

With all the focus on Arya losing her personality, I'm guessing she will be sent to kill someone previosly close to her. Then creating a struggle between her current and former self blablablablabla

It seems as if it's Faceless Man Policy not to kill someone they personally know.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

Also someone said way back that Jon snapping and breaking his vows to go after the Bolton's was out of character. I thought GRRM built into that nicely. At every step he was moving away from the Black and moving closer to his other identities as Jon Snow (Stark) and as a Wilding.

I really don't think it's out of character if you think of it from his perspective: he's the only one who can save his only surviving sibling on the run from a loving psychopath. It'd be out of character for him NOT to try to save her.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Patchface posted:

"Under the sea, the merman feast on starfish soup and all the serving men are crabs."
Merman = Manderly
Crabs = the lord of Sweetsister that sent Davos to White Harbor?
Starfish = Karstarks maybe?

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Pretty sure Coldhands doesn't have the blue eyes of a wight

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Giodo! posted:

Best part of this book? The multiple bizarrely conspicuous references to "useless as nipples on a breastplate" culminating with Jorah emerging from the sellsword armory with...a breastplate with pierced nipples.

I loved this and giggled out loud.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Jon takes on some responsibility and is interesting, but then betrays literally every character establishing moment he's ever had. "i know we are sworn brothers but i got this letter!!"
Did you miss the part where his last surviving sibling (as far as he knows) is on the run from the most psychotic person in Westeros, in a blizzard, with no help, and is reasonably nearby?
Jon is the only person - as far as he knows - who can save his last sibling from a guy that just informed him that he flayed six women to make a cloak for Mance.

Did you not read this part?

Jon's last chapter after he tells Tormund about the letter posted:

Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon’s breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady’s coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest. I made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … I want my bride back …

“I think we had best change the plan,” Jon Snow said.

They talked for the best part of two hours.
He counts down his dead siblings. Gets to Arya. Thinks of the six wildlings Ramsay flayed. Thinks of Ramsay hunting Arya.

Besides, it's not even than significant of a violation of his vows.

Night's Watch words posted:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.
The only possible violation is the "live an die at my post" - and he was going to come back. The whores in Mole's Town were an entire cottage industry set up around brothers leaving their posts to go gently caress whore. Benjen wasn't killed for an oathbreaker when he visited Winterfell, ya know.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Linguica posted:

So without reading the whole thread, I assume we know where Rickon is, right?

Yep!

Unoriginal Name posted:

I read it. I just think that after Theon did the exact same thing with his relatives, in the exact same place no less, it doesn't particularly fit with his character to decide to ride out all of a sudden.

Are you talking about Bran and Rickon? Because I believe Jon was on the other side of the wall at the time. Besides, Bran and Rickon were on the run for less than 24 hours and he didn't know they were on the run.

So no, not the same situation at all. Not even really close. There was no decision for Jon to make for Bran/Rickon.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Nah, better to cause as many of your brothers as you can to break their oaths? gently caress that.

Unoriginal Name posted:

But just leave his post and take Watch men with him? Leaving a shitload of undisciplined wildlings with less than a skeleton crew watching them before he decides to take a bunch?
You mentioned it twice, so I think you may have missed that part too - he's not taking anyone from the Watch or causing them to break their oaths:

Jon posted:

“The Night’s Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms,” Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. “It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Bolton, to avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughter. This creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words … but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.
...and a few sentences later:

Jon posted:

Yarwyck and Marsh were slipping out, he saw, and all their men behind them. It made no matter. He did not need them now. He did not want them. No man can ever say I made my brothers break their vows. If this is oathbreaking, the crime is mine and mine alone. Then Tormund was pounding him on the back, all gap-toothed grin from ear to ear. “Well spoken, crow. Now bring out the mead! Make them yours and get them drunk, that’s how it’s done. We’ll make a wildling o’ you yet, boy. Har!”
(Bold and underlining added by me)

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

hhhmmm posted:

Your sister is possibly held hostage by a violent bannerman with a large army at your disposal. Also some threats. Possibly. Do you

1) Gather more intelligence to ensure that the information is true and figure out the correct course of action.
2) Scheme to make a wildling army interfere on your behalf.
3) Scheme to make Stannis' remaining army interfere.
4) Send scouts, assassins or other agents to interfere on your behalf.
5) Consult the Priestess who can see both the future and geographically distant events.
6) Make a series of lies regarding your whereabouts, enabling you to interfere without losing political power and endangering the delicate situation at the wall.

or

7) None of the above and flee the wall. You will lose almost all your political power and facing charges of death for fleeing from all those who oppose you.

Dude, did you read the book? Ramsay doesn't have her. She's made her escape. Ramsay thinks she's with Jon. Jon knows she isn't and that Stannis' army may be destroyed, so there's no safe place for her to go. That was the point of the letter.
There's no "interfering" to be done. It's not "interfering" at all. It's a search and rescue mission for his only remaining sibling in hostile territory.
He wisely doesn't even mention Arya in his speech in the Shieldhall. There's a good reason for that: if the wildlings got a hold of her first, they'd have a powerful trump card over his head.

I can't really blame you for having a completely unrealistic list aside from #5 and maybe #6: after all, you seem to think that Ramsay has fake Arya and Jon is "fleeing" from the wall to go battle him for her.

He surely should have consulted Mel, and for all we know he was going to right after talking to Seleyse about her (probably not) dead husband.

He DID lie, only about his intentions and not about his location.
Lying about that doesn't work and puts him in the same position anyway because he's the Lord Commander and his place is on the Wall. He could MAYBE say he's going to the Shadow Tower to talk with Ser Dennis, but then his brothers will question why he's bringing so many wildlings, nobody from the Watch, and why they're marching south instead of west. Not to mention he'd be intentionally lying to the wildlings that he needs to fight for him in case they run into Bolton search parties also looking for Arya.

Again, taking a short break to go find someone that's lost in the snow doesn't quite equal full-on oathbreaking in my opinion.

Unfortunately he was stuck: Either tell them the truth about why you want to go, or lie about it.
If you tell the truth the NW probably sees it in a better light, but the wildlings probably don't volunteer to go with you like they did...and now they know that if they get their hands on Arya first, they've got Jon by the balls.
If you lie the NW looks on it as borderline desertion, but you get your own wildling army to find Arya with and kick the rear end of any Bolton search parties you stumble upon.

The first saves your honor and your vows, but almost guarantees that you don't save your last remaining sibling and condemns her to a life of being definitely raped/maybe flayed by Ramsay.
The second shits all over your honor and lightly pisses on your vows, but you stand a good chance at finding your last remaining sibling and delivering her to safety.

So, in keeping with the finest Stark tradition, Jon chooses to put someone he loves before himself. He chooses a loved one's needs (in this case, her life) over his own life/honor. Just like his father. Just like his brother.
How is that not in character again?

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Neurosis posted:

After reading the Mystery Knight, Bloodraven must be even more of a wizard supreme than the folk tales made him out to be, given that he communicated almost instantly with a minor pawn(s) of his (or at least one of the pawns was him, but probably not). I guess the 7K does hate sorcery. Look forward to this, Bran.

Edit: Although I did find it interesting that Bloodraven in ADwD says that they used to name children after him. Perhaps he was not that reviled by the common people.

There's a pretty strong theory that one of the knights that talks to Dunk is in fact Bloodraven. Someone posted it in this thread.

Found it!

Toplowtech posted:

The theory is that Ser Maynard Plumm is Bloodraven in some sort of disguise because:
_his face looks blurry to Dunk at one point
_they have the same physic and the same sense of humor, they use the exact same words to describe the tournament ("in this nest of adders") and Plumm defends Bloodraven's politic at some point.
_when Dunk throws down a guy into a well and turns down to see Plumm, it looks like Plumm only got one eye under his hood for a brief second
_when Dunk says that if the rumor about Aegon the Unworthy loving everything with tites were true they would all be Targaryen bastards, Plumm's answers is "Who's to say we're not?".
_Plumm disappears just before Bloodraven appears and Bloodraven seems very well informed of everything that happened during the tournament.
_Bloodraven is rumored to be a mighty sorcerer (well he is, thank you Amazon.de), same for his mistress (and half-targaryen sister) and he is rumored to be everything from a shadowbinder, a warg (dah) and a faceless man.

But it may be pure theorycrafting and Plumm could 'just' be a simple spy.

Also the title is The Mystery Knight. Dunk is a mystery knight in the tournament but both Plumm and Daemon Blackfire are "mystery" knights in their own way. The "son" of Fireball could be considered one too but it may just be because i think he is the edge knight with best origin story ever.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

So, show of hands: who's re-reading it?

By the way, Mereen sucks of course, but the Shavepate is pretty badass. He's pretty much the only good Mereenese. I didn't pay much attention to him the first time around, but now that I'm re-reading he stands out a little more.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

I don't think she was portrayed that way so I think maybe our different readings of those chapters is fueling our disagreement. I remember her spending a lot of time considering her options, finding them to be bad and worse and picking the least bad option. She ran into a bit of a Ned problem where her principles and honor were not conducive to the locality.

This is why she's a bad ruler. She allows her emotions to rule her and can do/order/allow downright evil actions. Like the torture of young girls:

Dany 2nd posted:

Mercy, thought Dany. They will have the dragon’s mercy. “Skahaz, I have changed my mind. Question the man sharply.”
“I could. Or I could question the daughters sharply whilst the father looks on. That will wring some names from him.”
“Do as you think best, but bring me names.” Her fury was a fire in her belly.
If the owner of the winesink wasn't a Son of the Harpy before, he and all his relatives certainly are now.

Dany: "Yeah, go ahead and torture the daughters of the owner of a place where a murder took place. Anyone seen Daario?"

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Again, for those that are arguing that Dany is hamstrung by her sense of morality and justice and stuff, don't forget about stuff like this:

Dany 2nd posted:

Mercy, thought Dany. They will have the dragon’s mercy. “Skahaz, I have changed my mind. Question the man sharply.”
“I could. Or I could question the daughters sharply whilst the father looks on. That will wring some names from him.”
“Do as you think best, but bring me names.
” Her fury was a fire in her belly.
Dany: "Yeah, go ahead and torture the daughters of the owner of a place where a murder took place. That makes sense. RAR I AM DRAGON. Anyone seen Daario?"

Who else in the series have we seen do something so completely brutal with very little chance for benefit like that? Cersei. The Boltons. Umm. Maybe Crows Eye. Pretty much nobody else would have jumped straight to torturing the daughters, skipping questioning them "sweetly" or torturing the father first. Nope! Straight to the most brutal option available! Cersei, Ramsay Snow, Roose Bolton, Danaerys Targaryen.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

literallyincredible posted:

while passing up a chance to secure an alliance with the Tyrells by sending Loras after the Mountain, as Loras is a hothead bent on making and legend for himself and dumbass Mace would certainly back his son up.

Not quite man, you're going overboard on this one. Ned could still have made an alliance with Highgarden after he turned down Loras, quite easily. All he had to do was take Renly up on his offer after Robert died.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont still hiding out in Greywater Watch :(

Hmm, since Robett Glover was obviously ransomed, does that mean that Ser Helmann Tallhart was as well?

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

"Near enough to make no matter" is another one. I checked it out and it only made 3 appearances in Dance, but it felt like a lot more. Checking the other books, it doesn't show up at all in the first 3 but shows up twice in Feast.

This is partly why AFFC and ADWD feel so different from the first 3 books - the language and phrases and stuff are all different. There are a ton of phrases in Feast and Dance that are repeated several times in those books, but didn't show up at all in the first 3 books.

I sort of felt bad for being happy when Little Walder got dead at Winterfell, but not too bad. The little prick needed killing.

Reek posted:

Little Walder had become Lord Ramsay’s best boy and grew more like him every day, but the smaller Frey was made of different stuff and seldom took part in his cousin’s games and cruelties.

Interesting that Little Walder was actually Roose Bolton's brother-in-law, as Fat Walda was his sister.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Smashurbanipal posted:

I don't get the significance of the floor and walls being covered with bones in the entrance to the Children's cave. In addition, everyone seems to be making a big deal of Bloodraven being the "Last Greenseer", but then Bran is described seeing a huge room all filled with weir-people, who are clearly still alive. Are they just become too much tree to be considered human at all anymore?

Bones - I dunno, the children have to eat something I guess.

I think those were kids retiring into trees maybe?

Diddie posted:

Pycelle dies.
I really hate how this wasn't given any attention or time in the book. Kevan gets a ton of both, but Pycelle is pretty much a 1-liner. I would have really liked to have seen a chapter between Pycelle's and Kevan's death so that poor old Pycelle could have a little attention, and maybe show some heightened distrust between Lannister and Tyrell.

His death just felt too rushed and too insignificant for a pretty major player throughout 5 books. Especially after the HBO series and his last scene in it.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Have you ever been in a fist fight at least? You know how when it's over you feel loving amazing? It's probably like that.
Also: the necessary dehumanization of the enemy

Did anyone notice Tyrion going through withdrawals when Griff forced him to go cold turkey on wine? Poor guy :(

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Neurosis posted:

And then as soon as Tyrion's away from Griff again he's back on the wine, and then back on a whore. Tragic.

He really should have learned by now to stay away from whores. They're like his goddamn Achilles Heel.

That scene in Clash where Cersei has Alayayayaya and Tyrion tells Cersei that anything done to the whore would be done to Joffrey - including the rapes - was sort of a badass Tyrion moment, but also dumb. Telling people that he cared about a whore enough to threaten buttrape on his own blood? Good job announcing a major weakness and character flaw to your enemies!

Similar to how, in Dance, he knows he's the most wanted man in the world while also being the most recognizable, but he's actually safe right now if he sticks with this group of powerful allies. What does he do the first chance he gets? That's right, separate from said allies and walk into a crowded public place filled with unsavory characters!

Ugh, that was frustrating to read.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Soon or late the serjeant needs must break his fast on candied unborn pup. It is known.

I'd give half a groat, or near enough to make no matter, for some neillo neeps.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Someone linked the new ASOIAF calendar earlier in the thread and I just got around to checking it out:
http://picacio.blogspot.com/2011/07/2012-asoiaf-calendar-release-day.html

It's loving horrible.

The 2011 one was great though, the one with all the castles:

I found images from that one along with a bunch of awesome maps like the huge Westeros one by "Other-in-Law" that everyone likes:
http://www.taringa.net/posts/imagenes/1892177/Mapas-en-Cancion-de-Hielo-y-Fuego.html

Here's a few:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Habibi posted:

First, Tommen, not Joff. Second, I interpreted that scene as Tyrion trying to protect Shae. He's relieved when, after Cersei's rant, they bring out Allaakbarayaya, but he can't let that show because it may tip Cersei off that they've got the wrong person, so he has to go with it and pretend as if she really does mean a lot to him in order to prevent Cersei from putting two and two together (yeah he's giving Cersei a lot of credit) and dragging a certain other whore into the room.

Yeah, you're right about it being Tommy Boy. Dunno why I wrote Joffrey.

I see what you're saying, and yeah he went along with it to protect Shae, but he could have gone along with it without acting like he was in love with a whore. It'd be the 2nd time that his family knows of, but this time he knew she was a whore, unlike Tysha. They know that.

The thing is, if they did have Shae, he would have made the same threats probably...and halfway meant them.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

menino posted:

One good thing about this book: we learn the Doom of Valyria was a tsunami.

No dude, you read it wrong. The Doom was volcanic in nature. It caused a tsunami that wiped out the Island of Cedars, where Victarion was chillin' with the monkeys.

Tyrion posted:

Valyria. It was written that on the day of Doom every hill for five hundred miles had split asunder to fill the air with ash and smoke and fire, blazes so hot and hungry that even the dragons in the sky were engulfed and consumed. Great rents had opened in the earth, swallowing palaces, temples, entire towns. Lakes boiled or turned to acid, mountains burst, fiery fountains spewed molten rock a thousand feet into the air, red clouds rained down dragonglass and the black blood of demons, and to the north the ground splintered and collapsed and fell in on itself and an angry sea came rushing in. The proudest city in all the world was gone in an instant, its fabled empire vanished in a day, the Lands of the Long Summer scorched and drowned and blighted.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Where do crossbows go? The whore went thrummm...

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Apropos of nothing...

I love that Cersei's maid is named Dorcas.

Poor thing must have had many and more japes thrown her way, and sadly they were not wrong. Dorcas is a terrible (-y funny) name.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Brannock posted:

I know fantasy, fantasy, but can stone actually support itself when you build that tall and big?

That said, Oldtown was my favorite setting so far and I hope we get to read more about it with Sam chapters in TWOW.

Sure it can, it depends on the actual dimensions though. See: the Lighthouse of Alexandria @ 45 stories high, which the Hightower appears to be partly based on. Witness:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Game of Thrones has been dropped in all 5 books, and A Song of Ice and Fire in at least 1 of them.
I'm with you though.
Robb to Edmure: "We were all set to bring a storm down on Lord Tywin's head in the Westerlands but you hosed it up!"
E: "I didn't know! Robb I swear! But I don't get what you mean by a storm? Is this some sorcery?"
R: "A Storm...of Swords, you loving retard did Hoster drop you on your loving head as a child?"

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Calef posted:

This reminded me how Tyrion, I think, in this book pointed out the mystery that the Valyrians certainly knew that Westeros was there, and ruled an empire extending over most of the world for thousands of years, and they had dragons this entire time, but no Valyrians attempted to invade Westeros at any point. Then after te Doom, the Targaryens are pretty much the only remaining Valyrians we know about, and they finally invade.

It is implied in the text that there must be some kind of mysterious explanation for this. My guess is that the Valyrians knew that the Great Other was on Westeros and were keeping away.

Nemo posted:

Maybe they didn't want the Greenseers to warg into their dragons.
That's actually a good explanation. Maybe the Valyrians knew that there wargs all over Westeros.
I don't think it's something as simple as logistical issues, it's definitely something mysterious as you said.

Maybe House Targaryen was assigned the task of invading and holding Westeros and it just took that long until Balerion and the other dragons were big enough to take on an entire continent. It would give a good excuse for why they were on a shithole of an island like Dragonstone for so long - either that, or they were exiled to Dragonstone.

We don't really know how powerful the Targs were in Valyrian society/politics. Doesn't seem like they could be too high, being all the way on Dragonstone, but maybe they used the obsidian candles to participate in Valyrian politics from afar.

Brannock posted:

There were really only four important Meereenese: Hizdahr, Galazza Galare, the Shavepate (easy enough to remember, at least), and Reznak. Everyone else is pretty much incidental.

Exactly. Shavepate's name is Skakaz, Galazza Galore is aka the Green Grace, Reznak's first name is the same as his last, and I don't have anything for Hizdahr.
But yeah, those are really the only ones you need to know.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

So I've been thinking about the pregnant woman that Bran saw. His visions are obviously going backwards in time. First his father, then Lyanna and Benjen, then the pregnant lady. Maybe pregnant with Ned's father, Rickard?

Then I thought about Lady Dustin talking about the matches Lord Rickard made.
- His heir wed to the eldest daughter of Riverrun and the Trident
- His only daughter wed to the Lord of Storm's End and the Storm Lands
- His second son fostered with the Lord of the Eyrie and the Vale of Arryn

Two of those were contiguous with Rickard's own lands, and the other was right next to King's Landing on the same side of the sea as the North's and the Vale's biggest ports.

That's 3 of the great houses he was creating quite close alliances with. The only houses he didn't align with were:
- Tyrell, staunch Targaryen supporters. After all, they were mere stewards before Aegon raised them up.
- Martell, again staunch Targ supporters. Lots of marriages between the two.
- Lannister, who's Lord was the Hand of the King for 20 years during the time the Stark alliances were taking place.

It seems to me that Lord Rickard was up to something. It's almost certain that he was creating tight bonds between the Great Houses that weren't strongly aligned with the Targaryens...but to what end? And why? Was his mother the pregnant lady that wanted her son to avenge her?

Hmm...

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

Yes and also he was being a creepy old guy and making all sorts of sexual advances on her.

Yeah but she sort of liked it. Remember her nipples betraying her?
Speaking of, was that one of the 3 treasons? :feelsgood:

hypocrite lecteur posted:

edit: I mean, really. He could have let her dumb rear end die and gone home pardoned, which is all he wants, and he didn't. He put her life over his own interests. How often does that happen in the series. and she's like "hurr burr you're not my handsome foreign mercenary I no like you :downs:"
He should have gotten his sword hilt shaped like a naked chick and constantly molested it in front of her. That seems to be the way to win Dany's heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Hmm, this is interesting when you compare it to the things Melisandre says about darkness/shadows/light:

Bloodraven teaching Bran posted:

There he sat, listening to the hoarse whispers of his teacher. “Never fear the darkness, Bran.” The lord’s words were accompanied by a faint rustling of wood and leaf, a slight twisting of his head. “The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother’s milk. Darkness will make you strong.

Is Bran unknowingly studying to be a servant of the Great Other?