Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium

Smiling Jack posted:

Goddamit the perfumed sesechenal is a goddamn boat,

bigmcgaffney posted:

Thats what I thought. GRRM makes a big deal that it translates to perfumed seneschal, so you think it could fit the prophecy, but then it sinks. Tyrion was aboard it.

Don't think it sank. Pretty sure Tyrion and Jorah and Penny were on it when they got taken by slavers. It was wrecked from the storm, but it was still afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Bobby Dodd, on playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium
Does anyone think that this is justice?

Dany 1 posted:

A rich woman came, whose husband and sons had died defending the city walls. During the sack she had fled to her brother in fear. When she returned, she found her house had been turned into a brothel. The whores had bedecked themselves in her jewels and clothes. She wanted her house back, and her jewels. “They can keep the clothes,” she allowed. Dany granted her the jewels but ruled the house was lost when she abandoned it.

Seems like a travesty to me and one more count against Dany being a good and just ruler.

I mean if I evacuated my house for a hurricane, came back to find squatters living there and running a whorehouse, and the judge awarded my home to the squatters? It's just so ridiculous, it's hard to fathom.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

lapse posted:

The "Bloodraven = 3-eyed crow" theory has been around ever since the novella The Sworn Sword. That's where you get most of the information about him. You definitely wouldn't have had enough information to work with, just from the main series, but if you read the novellas, a lot of people picked up on it.

A lot of us were pretty sure it was him for various reasons.

:smug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=57710#post329627020
Look at all those quotes by me. OG Wild Card, sup?

Look at me coming up with Tyrion Secret Targ and everyone going "woah that makes way too much sense":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24

Also: lol :(

Ray_ posted:

Argh, why won't he finish the loving book already??? It was like two years in between the first three. '96, '98, '00, '05, and we'll be lucky to get the next one in 2008.

Edit: May 01, 2007 14:23

Ray_ fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2011

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Welp, I figured out the mystery of Ramsay's letter to Jon: Mance sent it.

Mance, disguised as Rattleshirt posted:

Rattleshirt tapped the ruby on his wrist. “Ask your red witch, bastard.”
“I’ll range for you, bastard,” Rattleshirt declared.

The Infamous Letter posted:

Bastard, was the only word written outside the scroll. No Lord Snow or Jon Snow or Lord Commander. Simply Bastard. And the letter was sealed with a smear of hard pink wax. “You were right to come at once,” Jon said. You were right to be afraid. He cracked the seal, flattened the parchment, and read.

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore. Your false king’s friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me. I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell. I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want his wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

It was signed,
Ramsay Bolton,
Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

Okay so maybe not conclusive, and I still think it's Ramsay lying his rear end off, but it's an interesting possibility. Re-reading the book and the language in Jon's chapter where Rattleshirt speaks those lines above just struck me as in-line with the letter's language.
Why would Ramsay want Val? Why would Ramsay want Mance's son? How does he even know about them, and why would he care?

Why would Mance send the letter? One possibility that I'm pulling straight from my rear end: he got into the rookery during the confusion and sent the raven with the intention of getting Jon + wildlings to come help Stannis. It would never happen if someone asked Jon to come, he had to be baited into it and so did the wildlings.
Anyway, sort of a dumb theory, but interesting in my mind.

Another thing: the Winterfell Murder Mystery! Anyone have any thoughts? I'm pretty sure it's Manderly's peoples, but I like the idea of an original Winterfell inhabitant hiding out in the crypts or something. That whole scene with Lady Dustin and Theon in the crypts just screams something deeper to me. How the doors are closed when we know the last people there didn't close them, how they (Dustin and Theon) specifically mention deeper levels of the crypts but don't go down. How it's mentioned how much warmer the crypts are than outside - and the deeper levels would be warmer still, presumably.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Heh, someone went and added a bunch of terrible sigils to some noble house pages on gameofthrones.wikia.com:
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles
Example:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

NJ Deac posted:

Going back to the "perfumed seneschal" mentioned in Quaithe's prophecy - I'm pretty sure this is a reference to the boat that Tyrion/Aegon/Connington/etc. were taking to volantis. They mention that the translation of the boat name is something like "The Fragrant Steward" or somesuch. I think this, combined with the warning of a "mummer's dragon" is strongly indicative that the Aegon that Connington has raised is a fake, and a pretender to the throne.

Tyrion/Aegon/Connington/Haldon/Duck/Lemore/etc were on the Shy Maid. Later, after he gets separate from the first group, Tyrion/Jorah/Penny/Pretty Pig/Crunch/Moqorro (the red priest) board the Selaesori Qhoran. According to Moqorro, Selaesori Qhoran translates to Fragrant Steward.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Check out these pictures from EW:
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20399642_20512173,00.html#20991769
Lena Headey looks like she's a teenager, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau looks to be growing out his Jaime Beard.

I hardly recognize Emilia Clarke. She looks a lot thinner in the face. Actually looks hotter here than on the show.

I love this picture of the GURM:

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

Holy poo poo, the statues of the Seven look loving fantastic.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

MarshallX posted:

Where'd you find this at?

winter-is-coming.net I think

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

The problem with ~Daario~ isn't that everyone hates reading about a romance, it's that the romance and her being in complete love with him seems unrealistic. There's no build up, and he isn't presented as having any positive qualities other than being ~pretty~ with a ~gold tooth~. She even thinks about how he's a despicable person. I'll quote myself from 4 days pre-release, on page 4 of this thread (yes I still bought it):

Ray_ posted:

Dany still dumb:

Dany posted:

I would give up my crown if he asked it of me, Dany thought...but he had not asked it, and never would.
Is this some stalwart hero? An exiled Lord or famous knight or even a commoner with exceptional qualities? Nope. It's a sellsword captain with a gold tooth. like 4 paragraphs before:

Dany posted:

He has a sellsword's conscience, she realized then. That is to say, none at all.

I mean, it just doesn't make sense. Blah blah blah teenage girl, but she's way older than her actual age.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

By the way, if you search for "whores go" you get 21 results. Those include:
"wherever whores go"
"where whores go"
"where do whores go?"

Also, "not wrong" gets 28 results. Variations include, but aren't limited to:
"He/she/I was not wrong"
"He's not wrong"
"you/they are not wrong"
"(Person) is/was not wrong"

Gotta expand your searches guys! All of those phrases are basically the same and that's why people are puzzled when it's reported there were only 8 instances of a phrase.

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

porfiria posted:

Another big part of the Tywin/Tyrion conflict is that Tyrion is CLEARLY more like dad than Jaime or Cersei, and a worthy heir to Casterly Rock, but because of his deformity, Tywin will never accept Tyrion as his "true" son. Tyrion is everything Tywin fears to be: capable, but mocked and despised by one and all. If Tyrion is actually Aerys', then Tyrion really ISN'T the true heir to Casterly Rock, which ruins the symbolism of the issue.

Basically when Tywin says "You are no son of mine", if it's literally true, it has no emotional resonance.

You know, people say this all the time, but Tyrion isn't much like Tywin at all. He's always joking and sarcastic, he's got a pretty big heart, and actually seems to have a working moral compass. Tywin is none of those things, and I'd say those are Tyrion's most important features. They're both really smart guys with a gift for navigating and manipulating politics, but that's pretty much it as far as similarities.

To tell the truth, Cersei's personality MUCH more closer aligns with Tywin's except for the Crazy and how emotional she gets and how bad of a ruler she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ray_
Sep 15, 2005

I like the references he puts in the books for the most part, and while this one made me laugh a little it also broke MY IMMERSION:

The Big Man posted:

That dragon queen’s got the real item (Unsullied), the kind that don’t break and run when you fart in their general direction.”