Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Darko posted:

I basically just skip Daenerys chapters and read Wiki summaries of what happens; it's so disconnected, she pisses me off, and I actually generally don't like dragons and poo poo. I'm dreading revisiting her in this book, although maybe I can tolerate her a bit more now since she's more connected now.

I agree with the sentiment that Brienne chapters were irritating in the 4th book, mainly because of the stated reasons; you knew she wasn't accomplishing her quest, so it was basically her going nowhere fast. Still, however, I prefer hearing of how hosed up the world is and the fallout from the war as opposed to slaves and dragons.

I guess I'm at a polar opposite here. Personally, I've enjoyed Daenerys's development through the series and am eager to see how she functions as the "wild card" (if I may) in the whole series. Towards the end of the fourth book, a lot is made to her being the one force strong enough to stand against the oncoming threat from beyond the wall (or so I gathered anyway).
Also, I enjoy Brienne if only because she is the only true knight in the whole drat series; chivalrous, dutiful and chaste to a fault. That she's an ugly dude-woman is just a bit of dichotomy to define her character, otherwise she's a bog standard, high-fantasy knight in shining armor. In any other world, it'd be a tired cliche, but in this series, it's interesting to see how she develops and plays along with the throngs of assholes populating the world.
Granted, her place in the last book, as previously mentioned, seems like a lot of fluff, but I still enjoy seeing how she so rigidly holds onto her ideals, despite that we, the readers, know that poo poo ain't happening.

e: Also, to add to the speculation on the fifth book:
It has Tyrion chapters, Book owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

oogyboogs posted:

Jaqen is seen at the beginning of AFFC, poisoning an acolyte named Pate with a coin. He appears at the very end of the book, in Pate's place AS Pate. If you think of AFFC and ADWD as one piece, it makes more sense.

What evidence is there to support that Jaqen was the one who killed Pate? The Many-Faced God's assassins don't seem in the business of killing people towards an end, only when they are asked to "give the gift" to someone. Besides, I may have glossed over some key point, but the only description given to Pate's killer was that he was a completely ordinary looking person without any outstanding features.

Also, as an aside, I got the impression that the prologue to book 4 happened after the last chapter, once Samwell arrived to the Citadel. Since the very last sentence in the book is basically, "Call me, Pate", I had assumed it was used as a reference to sorting out the timeline of events.

I don't know, I could be wrong, but if there's good evidence to the contrary, please enlighten me.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Leoben posted:

Wishful thinking, I know, but is there really overwhelming evidence that Jon is for sure dead?

Despite the fact that I actually like when Martin has the balls to off beloved characters ( you know, for laughs), there is almost no way Jon is staying dead (provided he is). I figure we have a few options:
A: Mellisandre will bust out some Red Priest necromancy and bring him back and send him off away from the Wall (probably to loving Mereen like every other character in the world)
B: Maybe pull some Ben Stark/Coldhands mojo and have him be some POV character for the whole White Walker world (actually sounds kind of cool now that I think about it).
C: The knives didn't kill him because he's actually secretly a Targaryean and a Greenseer and a skin-changer and maybe a ghost.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Perdido posted:

The letter is a mix of bullshit and truth.

I'm of the same mind. I really didn't see anything about the letter to suggest that it's some forgery from another party. The fact is Ramsay is a lying, deceptive bastard. Is Stannis really dead? Probably not. Does it serve Ramsay's ends to make others believe it? Absolutely.
Also, I'm apt to believe (or just want to, anyway) that Ramsay may not have Mance, but has gleaned his identity from one of the spear-wives. All the more reason to have his wife and child to lure him out of hiding or, as you say, just to ruin his life.

e: Also, as a TOTAL aside, I think it would just be sick as hell if they had a couple of Tormund POV chapters in the next book. I like that dude.

Dog Toggle Switch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 12, 2011

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Did you miss the Uday Hussian links from a few pages back, or have read about guys like Vlad the Impaler? People like Ramsey may not be common in history, but compared to a number of historical and current people with unchecked power he is very believable.

I'm not really hung up on Ramsay as a character, but I can see how some people could be put off by him. I mean, the series is punctuated by countless assholes and self-serving pricks, but Ramsay is almost a caricature of a villain , twirling his moustache and callously torturing and killing without any real motivation.
I think it's just such a stark contrast to other characters who, although complete fuckers by any right, at least have motives or past history that spur them to committing evil acts.

I don't really mind it though. As a nerd cross-reference, Ramsay basically reminds me of Kefka from FF6. And that's all right.

Quantify! posted:

Make Tormund the Lord Commander. I wouldn't mind if Jon Snow was really dead if this happened.

Why not, The Night's Watch Oath doesn't really say anything against banging bears, right?

Dog Toggle Switch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Quantify! posted:

King Aerys did just as much hosed up poo poo as Ramsay. Claw marks on his wife's breasts, cooking people alive in their armor... Ramsay is hardly the only psychotic character we've been exposed to, just the one who has had the most page time.

You make a perfectly valid point, but at least in Aerys there was the justification of generations of inbreeding leading to him just being plain old crazy. I think there's a line in the book that said something like, "Every time a Targaryan is born, the Gods would flip a coin to see if they're great or mad"
Granted, being an out and out lunatic isn't the best characterization, but at least it does provide a justification for his actions.
Basically, I think it'd just be more interesting if they at least showed something of Ramsay's character or past to give some weight to his actions.
As it stands, dudes just a dick.