Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

the gulper caper posted:

It's not? It's never explicitly stated that he has been castrated and he only goes down on her the one time.

What else could this previously quoted passage mean:

quote:

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."
For a moment he did not understand. " I...do you mean...m'lord, I have no...I.."
"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

literallyincredible posted:

John Scalzi (who I've actually never read) has a post with some perspective on Dance.

I'm an editor for Random House (though a different imprint than publishes Gurm). Generally, when we sign up an author for a new novel that has yet to be written, we plan for a schedule of one year to write a 100,000 word novel, but it is not at *all* uncommon for authors to end up needing more time than that. *Nobody* would bat an eye at an author taking a year and a half to write 100,000 words.

Well, 4*1.5 years=6 years, for 400,000 words, or pretty much exactly the pace Martin wrote Dance at (yes, yes, I'm aware he already had some material left over from Feast, but nobody but Martin and his editor knows how much of that ended up making it into Dance--it seems clear that there was a *lot* of rewriting in the process).

The crazy thing isn't that Dance took as long as it did, its that he cranked out Clash and Storm at a pace that most authors would consider impossibly fast. If Martin's pace makes him "lazy", then the majority of authors are just as "lazy".

So, I'm not at all angry at Martin for taking as long as he did, and I suspect his editor isn't either, though I don't know her personally.

What *does* worry me though is that, while Martin may have written this book at roughly the same pace most authors write at...

Most authors aren't obese 60+ year old men with 50,000 chekhov's guns to resolve. I'm not mad at the dude, but I am pretty loving worried he's gonna die before we get to see what happens.

The problem with this argument is that it almost presupposes that 400,000 words were necessary.

People are not only annoyed at how long it's taking to release the books, they're annoyed at all the boring waste contained in the books.

Is there enough of a point to the Dorne/Ironmen/Dany/Brienne stuff to make it worth the words? Probably not.

I know that it is boring when in a book/film/show, everything goes according to plan or whatever, but in this series the amount of failures and reversals are getting tedious.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 18, 2011

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

mcable posted:

The hype from the HBO show really colored people's opinions of the book. I mean it got near universal acclaim from critics but is currently sitting at 3 stars on Amazon. The hardcore fans that have already bought and read the book know what's up; ADWD (and AFFC before it) is a major step down from the first three books.

Amazon.com reviews are a joke, c'mon.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

mcable posted:

AGOT: 4.4 stars
ACOK: 4.5 stars
ASOS: 4.5 stars
AFFC: 3.2 stars
ADWD: 3.2 stars

Sounds about right to me. Maybe Amazon ratings are a joke, but this is a pretty good approximation of how I feel about the series (I'd rate ASOS even higher but it's pretty close overall).

A Dance With Dragons came out less than one week ago. It's star rating right now is almost completely meaningless.