Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
I'm from the Chicago area and I want to practice playing jazz standards and that's it. I suck, I don't know any licks and I play vibraphone (I only have a marimba to practice on.) If you want to hang out, jam or give me free lessons talk to me at my e-mail which is my username plus @hotmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm a dude in Chicago looking for other dudes and dudettes to jam with. I'm mediocre at playing guitar, but I know what a key signature is. I could also use a teacher too.

MSPaintClock posted:

I'm from the Chicago area and I want to practice playing jazz standards and that's it. I suck, I don't know any licks and I play vibraphone (I only have a marimba to practice on.) If you want to hang out, jam or give me free lessons talk to me at my e-mail which is my username plus @hotmail.com

I'm down. Best I could do is some half-rear end bass lines though.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Minto Took posted:

I'm down. Best I could do is some half-rear end bass lines though.

Well hey, if you two need a drummer I'd love to join you.

Lord of the Waffles
Dec 22, 2008

Land of buttermilk and honey.
I'm looking for some vocal lessons! I'm in the Boston area, specifically south of Boston, but I wouldn't mind going into the city for a good teacher. I'm most interested in learning to sing for the rock band I want to start, so looking for that kinda rock and roll growly/bluesy stuff. If anyone here knows a good teacher in the are they could recommend, that would be cool, too. I'm an upright/electric bass player who got a degree in jazz at UMass Amherst, and I've been playing for about nine years now, so I could also trade voice lessons for bass lessons if someone wants. If anyone also just wants bass lessons or could use some theory talk, I'd love to help.

If anyone also wants to either play some small group jazz and jam, needs a studio recording, or just wants to rock out to whatever, I'm pretty much into all music in general, so if anyone's interested let me know!

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Jazz Marimba, Minto Took, and MSPaintClock - what parts of the city are you in? I haven't played with people since I moved to Logan Square in October. If this jazz thing is moving forward, I could try and clean a few years worth of dust off this saxophone case and see if I can pick up where I left off. I had taken to electric guitar and bass for a while, but I'm a little light on gear since I left my amp & cab in St Louis with my dad and only brought the 10 watt with me. Besides, I've been meaning to get back into sax forever, and definitely don't have the chops to step right into a heavy-duty group.

Jazzy interests range from the lounge variety (Frenchy) to the hosed up variety (Last Exit), making sure to hit Pharoah Sanders, both Coltranes, Sun Ra, and so on along the way.

Hit me up at staggs.dan@gmail.com

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus
I'm located in Suffolk County (Long Island) NY. I'm looking to do some skill trading lessons. I'm able to teach music theory (all levels), composition (all levels), voice (all levels), and piano (beginner) and I'm looking for guitar lessons. I'm looking for someone who wants to meet for an hour and split the time in half coaching each other.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

There's gotta be somebody in Charlotte who wants to play some blues?

Evang
Nov 1, 2000

No Beezer, no Mellanby, but it's still Year of the Rat!
If anyone knows knows of a trombone instructor in L.A. who would be good for someone who hasn't touched it in 20 years, I'd appreciate it. Tried Google but it's a mess. And if you know of a better way to find an instructor, fire away. Thanks.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
This is probably gong to be a long shot here but I'm looking for either a teacher or someone to jam with in the Edmonton, AB area. I play guitar ~alright when I get back In the groove of practicing, and can do some slightly better then rudimentary drumming as well. I'm open to learning any conventional rock and metal instrument, but most of my experience is on the guitar. PM me

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 9, 2018

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hi everone, I'm a guitar player residing in Northeast Ohio and I'm pretty desperate for another guitar player to jam with. In person jamming would be ideal but I'm even down to collaborate with someone over the web if they have the capabilites. I play metal and need another person to learn from/write with. PM me if you're interested

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

StepDadJeff posted:

I'm located in Suffolk County (Long Island) NY. I'm looking to do some skill trading lessons. I'm able to teach music theory (all levels), composition (all levels), voice (all levels), and piano (beginner) and I'm looking for guitar lessons. I'm looking for someone who wants to meet for an hour and split the time in half coaching each other.

Still interested? eff emm emm eff thirty one at gmail dot. :)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Professional clarinetist here; just finished my doctorate in clarinet performance. I'm based in East Lansing, MI and am looking for some more students of any level/age. I do a lot of solo/chamber music, a bit of orchestral playing, and a good bit of klezmer music. Also willing to teach over Skype if you're interested.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lord of the Waffles posted:

If anyone also wants to either play some small group jazz and jam, needs a studio recording, or just wants to rock out to whatever, I'm pretty much into all music in general, so if anyone's interested let me know!

I am a Accordionist, guitarist and keyboardist fairly comfortable around all musical styles who's in the Boston Area who wouldn't mind getting together to jam. I'm more or less comfortable on Accordion/Guitar, my proper keyboarding is out of practice as hell. I will play pretty much anything, from Classical to Jazz to Metal. gently caress it, if we can figure out a way to do acoustic Dubstep I will do it to (Though I will be intermittently dying of laughter and hating the world.)

PS. Ask me about busking for a living in Boston for a while.

AIM: small0gods
email: 7thanonymous at gmail

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Not sure if this is the right thread, since this isn't exactly an instrument, but I am a computer nerd in the Washington, DC area who likes listening to music made with computers, and would like to learn to use computers to make music. Ableton would be my preference, but if you use some other program, I can probably adapt to that.

Also, if someone who is good at piano can put me on the right track for self-study, that would be awesome. I can't afford to take lessons as often as I think I ought to be practicing, so I'm imagining doing exercises out of a book most of the time, and occasionally (once a month or so) paying someone $50 or whatever for a consultation. I don't have and can't afford a real piano, but I have a semi-weighted* MIDI keyboard with a rudimentary built-in synthesizer. It's one size down from 88 keys, and might suffice for a beginner. (74 keys? I haven't actually counted them, honestly.)

If you are interested, PM me here, or e-mail my username at Gmail.

*I'm not sure if this is the exact right thing to call it, but it's velocity-sensitive and feels more like a piano than a Casio keyboard you'd see on display at Best Buy, but I think it feels less like a piano than a real piano.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
I'm in the Chicago area and am looking for a few more people to play with. I'm a bassist in my current band, but am also a guitarist.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
js, I'm in Chicago and working on some stuff with my roommate. We have a few instruments we mess around on, but mostly guitar and banjo. What neighborhood are you in? whiggles@gmail.com

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
I've been playing guitar on and off (mostly off) for the last 7-8 years or so and whilst I understand the "basics", I'm not what you'll call hot on fingering and technique. I'm self taught and I'm lacking any real guidance as to how to go about improving speed, accuracy and generally where to put my fingers.

I'm in Malvern, UK and would appreciate some hands on tuition. I'm aiming to play things like Dire Straits, 80's (poodles and spandex) and more modern rock. Whilst I can play a pretty good version of Money For Nothing, it's more a copycat version from a "how to play" DVD than actually knowing what I'm doing and being able to improvise.

I used to play the Clarinet (Grade 5/6) so I understand a reasonable amount of music theory, though I'm hardly an expert and I can play the guitar to a point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to the possibility of jamming, although it'd need to be pretty simple stuff to start with.

Sonic H fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2012

skullthug
Oct 26, 2012

cock nacho
Anyone in the Seattle area, or hell even the internet, interested in maybe trying a collaboration?

I mostly tool around with electronica/IDM things and work primarily in Ableton Live these days, so something inline or complimentary to that would be good I reckon.

I'm also interested in anyone willing to mentor me a little bit with mastering, or cleaning things up a bit to sound their best.
PM me here or on Soundcloud.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
I am a Euphonium player that gives [b]Euphonium/Tuba/Theory lessons in Kansas City. My area of theory expertise is mainly in relation to the band/choral worlds. I am in the [b]Kansas City area. I am also willing to (generally for free/for the challenge) record you some Euphonium parts if you need it for your music.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Level of Expertise: Novice
Musical Interests:
Blues
Old Time
Sludge
Drone
Noise Rock
Instrument: Banjo (Acoustic, Electric)

Need to quit sitting around and playing with myself. Looking for folks to hang out with for jamming, maybe more? ;-*

Seriously, though; don't touch me.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Loaf32 posted:

Musical Interests:
Blues
Old Time
Sludge
Drone
Noise Rock
Instrument: Banjo (Acoustic, Electric)

Need to quit sitting around and playing with myself. Looking for folks to hang out with for jamming, maybe more? ;-*

Seriously, though; don't touch me.

Wassup fellow Seattlite - let's crash our instruments into each other and see what happens. Play mostly folk-type stuff on acoustic guitar, but I just got an electric and amp. I'm definitely still in the mode of learning and getting better (only recently started bucking down and actually practicing for real), but I recently discovered that I really like playing with people and I'm down to try out whatever styles. I don't have PMs - you can email me at fugueurdissociative at the google mail thing dot com.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Level of Expertise: Advanced
Musical Interests:
Blues
BlueGrass
Folk
Alt-Country
Alt Rock

Instruments:
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Guitar
Banjo
Pedal Steel
Bass

So yeah, I'm also a pretty good guitar teacher, I've taught for about 8 years now. I've been in Pittsburgh now for about 4 years and I haven't found anyone to play with and very few good students. I've got a pretty decently equipped studio at my disposal also if anyone is P-burgh is looking for studio services.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Not for me, but I've got a friend in New Hampshire who wouldn't mind some jamming times and hopefully some instruction on the mandolin. Somewhere near Keane.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

I play and teach guitar in Colborne, Ontario, about an hour and a half East of Toronto near Cobourg. That's a mouthful, but there may not be many other instructors in the area.

I'm looking to jam too if anyone in the area wants to. I would prefer a messy, spazzy kind of metal, but I will play/teach anything else.

Business Raptor fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 29, 2012

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Fugue Stater posted:

Wassup fellow Seattlite - let's crash our instruments into each other and see what happens. Play mostly folk-type stuff on acoustic guitar, but I just got an electric and amp. I'm definitely still in the mode of learning and getting better (only recently started bucking down and actually practicing for real), but I recently discovered that I really like playing with people and I'm down to try out whatever styles. I don't have PMs - you can email me at fugueurdissociative at the google mail thing dot com.

Yay Seattle peoples!

I play folk, Rock, Alt oval office, and some blues. In a few bands, fun stuffs.

I mostly play bass and guitar, and some vocals too.

BobMcFartsens fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Anyone in Red Deer, Alberta looking for a drummer/percussionist feel free to hit me up. I'm big into punk and hardcore styles but I'm also a mean jazz musician and concert percussionist. I will play pretty much any style though, just did a jazz combo/funk gospel gig for example and enjoy some country/folk drumming too. Looking to gig if possible but willing to just jam as well.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I am a drummer in Madison, WI looking for some folks to jam with. I'm a late bloomer in that I picked up the instrument only a couple of years ago without any previous musical training, so I've never played in a band. I play a lot of Rock and Metal and am trying to get into Jazz and Funk

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Musical Interests:
Rock/Prog Rock
Metal/Prog Metal
Instrument:
Bass

Looking for a teacher in the area that would help me start from the near beginning. Trying to self teach a bit, but I'd like to have someone check my progress with me. I played a lot of music in HS, but not with stringed instruments, and that was a long while ago. I'd like to learn in the styles mentioned above, so anyone that can help me in that direction would be great. I'm also a poor student, so rates need to be negotiable!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hi thread! I live in Riverside County, CA. I would love to jam with people, especially jazz people. I am a jazz vocalist and I especially love group vocal jazz and a capella. I really like singing in general, though, and as long as I do not have to scream or growl I am pretty much down for any genre. I also play flute, French horn, and a moderate amount of piano should you wish to have weird instruments in your jam. I am not great at jazz flute or really jazz anything except voice though. :(

I used to give private lessons for money but sadly I am super duper busy and lessons stress me out. However, I can give you some referrals to quality people in the general LA area. I have PMs. :)

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
Hullo! I live in Riverside County, CA I am a noob electric guitar player. (About one week of daily practice) I am already getting tired of playing with myself. (Although Rocksmith makes it less painful.)

I would love to jam with some people, perhaps even get into a band in time....

My preference is Metal/Rock, although any style (other than gospel) that uses an electric guitar is fair game. (I don't want to do just one style)

Hawkgirl, would you have any recommendations for a good guitar teacher?

Edit: I forgot to add - I am willing to jam online, if it can be arranged.

Scottishprog fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 7, 2013

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
What's up SoCal musicians/goons. I'm looking for drummers or bass players around San Gabriel Valley and surrounding areas for a band/jamming for fun. I'm trying to do a combination of rock, metal and atmospheric music
I recorded some examples here:

http://m.soundcloud.com/atomey-1/sets/post-rock-metal-ideas

I've got another guitarist and no rhythm section. Join us!

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
If anyone is looking for an electric guitarist for any sort of work in Western Massachusetts let me know. Have been playing for over five years and I am really just looking for more experience working with other people.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I am guitarist with over six years of experience looking for people to jam with over Skype. Influences include Cream, Zep, CAN, Grant Green and more. I'm mostly into improvised blues jams; looking to have some fun and gain some more experience. I'm also interested in developing a better understanding of jazz techniques and if someone would be kind enough to take an eager student under their wing, I'd be extremely appreciative; I'm entirely self-taught so I can be a little rough around the edges. Not really looking to meet up in person but I could be convinced otherwise, and in that case I'm in the southeastern PA area - not Philly.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 28, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm a bassist looking for new people to play with in San Francisco. 20 years experience & can play anything. Hit me up.

Especially looking to meet a quality SF Bay Area drummer.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 8, 2013

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
I am a 26 year old DRUMMER who has recently moved to NYC and am looking for a new project, people to play with, and music teachers ( In order of personal importance Drums , Keys , Guitar, Voice)

I have been playing for the last ten years or so, I have equipment as well as a car but not a rehearsal space as of now. My last band in Rhode Island was a Prog rock group.

On the subject of teachers I am looking to build up my general musicianship across the board, drums are my instrument of choice and as such is the only one I am proficient at although there are gaps there I need to fill in as well.

I would like to mention this is a great Idea.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
nm decided to post later

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 24, 2013

powerful haunches
Aug 19, 2012
Hello, I'm an extreme novice at (mezzo soprano) singing and would love to really learn how to stop singing with my throat and not suck. I'm looking for someone who can help me sing in an alternative/rock/dance style... not really into too much classical stuff. I'm in the southeastern PA area (not Philly). Also, I'm fairly poor so if you're cheap that's a plus!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Any good guitar tutors around south Manchester, England? Failing that can someone recommend a site to find affordable lessons over Skype or preferably, Google hangouts? Mainly interested in metal, blues and a bit of jazz

I bought a £90 stratocaster back in December 2012 and a copy of Rocksmith on advice that it would help me deal with Chronic pain from my bad back. Ended up picking up an Ibanez GRGA42T that was a lot more comfortable to play then tried to teach myself properly using resources mentioned in the Guitar thread, Justinguitar.com, some tab sites and other videos/books.

I think most of my problems are caused by bad posture and general lack of experience with music so some one-to-one advice from someone who knows what they're talking about and are hopefully sober would help. Permanently drunk bass players make great friends but not ideal guitar teachers when they know a grand total of three chords to play on their beat up telecaster with 5 strings and no knobs.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Kalamazoo, MI area always looking for more people to help me get better at guitar and bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Seattle, WA

The band my drummer and I (bassist) were playing in recently lost its guitarist/vocalist, and we were hoping to find someone to fill his spot. To give you an idea of some of the music we listen to:

Radiohead, Tame Impala, Sigur Ros, Menomena, Portishead, Youth Lagoon, Built to Spill, Beach House, DJ Shadow, Bonobo, Patrick Watson, Deerhunter, Doves, STRFKR, Miike Snow.

The following links are samples of our stuff. Our most recent, self-recorded demo https://soundcloud.com/luck-farm , and an older recording from a previous band we were in on the east coast, http://tindeck.com/listen/quhn (starts quiet).

If you'd be interested in playing please send us an email: luckfarmband (at) gmail (dot) com.