Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I'm looking for a online Jazz guitar instructor. I've played rock when I was young and recently classical guitar for the last 5 years, now I really want to pick up Jazz. I just picked up my first electric guitar I have had in years. I've picked up some books and am having a hard time getting a foothold in genre. I live in an extremely rural area, so there are no local option within an hour and a half from me. Please email me at jdluna at gmail dot com if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Luna posted:

I'm looking for a online Jazz guitar instructor. I've played rock when I was young and recently classical guitar for the last 5 years, now I really want to pick up Jazz. I just picked up my first electric guitar I have had in years. I've picked up some books and am having a hard time getting a foothold in genre. I live in an extremely rural area, so there are no local option within an hour and a half from me. Please email me at jdluna at gmail dot com if you're interested.

Matt Warnock is pretty well regarded in the online jazz forums. I have not personally used him, but if I were looking for online jazz lessons, he's where I'd go.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Student in the Northern/Central NJ area looking for a synth teacher.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

TopherCStone posted:

Matt Warnock is pretty well regarded in the online jazz forums. I have not personally used him, but if I were looking for online jazz lessons, he's where I'd go.

Thanks! That looks promising.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Hello, I've just started mentoring a 14 year old kid and trying to figure out stuff we can do together that also enriches his life. Yesterday he mentioned he'd like to learn the guitar, which is awesome because I've also been wanting to learn the guitar... So, I was hoping someone would know an awesome teacher in Clinton Township, Roseville, Warren area of Michigan to teach us.

PM on here if you know someone or e-mail: my SA username at gmail dot com

Thanks guys.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Bassist in Seattle looking for anyone to play with. I like funk/jazz/fusion/rockunroll but really just want to play with ANYBODY.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bassist (and really reluctant guitarist) looking for people to play with in and around Metrowest MA. Beggars can't be choosers, so I'm open to ranging a bit toward Boston. I've been out of music for the last few years, so I'm pretty rusty, but I'm a fast (re-)learner.

I play fretless, as that's all I have at the moment, but I am happy to have an excuse to pick up something with frets, too. I'm open to playing all sorts of styles, though I really enjoy new wave, punk, funk, art rock, and post-rock stuff.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Seriously where the hell are all the drummers in San Francisco hiding? Just too hard to store a kit somewhere?

OnSugarHill
Aug 13, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new here but I thought I'd make a post in here.

I'm a guitarist from San Diego. I'm in North County. I am seeking more students. I have my Bachelor's Degree in Jazz Guitar Performance. I have the privilege of studying with Ron Eschete for 4 years while I was in school at CSULB. My main style is jazz, but I also love playing blues, rock, funk, etc. I'm very big into chords and harmony, being a jazz player. I'm very into improvising and the music theory behind playing over chord changes. My lessons are essentially a mixture of the following components:

-Guitar technique
-Ear Training
-Music Theory
-Improvising
-Rhythmic Exercises

I'm very passionate about teaching and very passionate about making my students become better musicians. My philsophy has always been to let the music drive the technique, and not let the technique drive the music. In other words, understanding the melody/harmony behind a song is far more important than being able to play a billion notes per second!

I'm also looking for people to play with. I go to some of the jazz jam sessions around San Diego. If any of you guys need a guitarist to play with, hit me up!

zshahguitar at gmail dot com

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So uh.

I'm a vocalist. I do singing stuff in a Baritone-Tenor range, in the Norfolk, VA area when I'm not doing silly Navy stuff. I mostly focus on Arena Rock/80's Hair Metal style singing, such as Kansas, Journey, Poison, Whitesnake, etc.

I'd like to get a few touch-up lessons to make sure that I'm not picking up any bad habits since my last instruction period, and I'd like to see if I could get together with a couple folks and sing a few songs and stuff.

You can reach me through PMs, mostly.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I'm looking for a bassist to add some bass tracks to some recordings for money.

Bass-ically, I'd send you a song/chord progression, and you would record a bass part and then send me the file. And then I would pay you.

You could reply here or for faster service izzyfnstradlin@yahoo.com

Knowledge of 60s garage, 70s punk and glam, and 80s sleaze preferable.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm looking for a tenor saxophonist in the same arrangement as above who can play stuff like Clarence Clemons.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 8, 2013

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I'm looking for a bassist to add some bass tracks to some recordings for money.

Bass-ically, I'd send you a song/chord progression, and you would record a bass part and then send me the file. And then I would pay you.

You could reply here or for faster service izzyfnstradlin@yahoo.com

Knowledge of 60s garage, 70s punk and glam, and 80s sleaze preferable.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm looking for a tenor saxophonist in the same arrangement as above who can play stuff like Clarence Clemons.

Sent you a message about the bass session!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Noise Machine posted:

Sent you a message about the bass session!

I've sent one as well. I believe this calls for a Bass Off.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

some_admin posted:

I am: somewhat skilled multi-instrumentalist hobbyist in Denver Colorado USA

I play/own bass, drums, guitar, saxophones, brass, keys

I have a a small studio with sixteen inputs

I want: to collaborate and write music/lyrics with other folks in real time or icollaboration and record.

I can be reached at: chughes2002 at gmaildotcom

https://www.aromaticsquid.com/music/music.htm
Putting this back up here, SA I wish was more productive than CL.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Guitarist for years, also play a bit of Bass in Essex, UK. Looking to jam mainly, play anything from classic rock, to metal, to classical/blues stuff.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Any online Skype teachers?
I'd like
To get more into learning more theory and if possible some
Guitar lessons as well.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

PrivRyan posted:

Any online Skype teachers?
I'd like
To get more into learning more theory and if possible some
Guitar lessons as well.

I looked into webcam lessons a while back and couldn't find anything suitable. Then this popped up a couple weeks ago Google Helpouts. Check under Art & Music or search for guitar, you get different results every few days as new tutors become active and others take a break.

They'll be adding Google Glass support in the new year for really complex stuff that works best with a first person viewpoint. Probably not great for guitar but it'll be perfect for piano/keyboard, DIY, electronics and visual art lessons.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hello musical goons! I'm a student in the Washington DC area looking for a classical piano teacher. I'm still very much a novice but I've always been able to pick up new instruments pretty easily. I've also always been able to play stuff by ear and am pretty terrible at reading music, so I could use a bit of help there (read: someone to force me to actually read music).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Anyone in central-ish Alabama want to putz around a bit?
I've got a regular gig going but I'm always down to jam and do some recording or whatever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This is kind of weird and random, but if anyone does online lessons of any kind and has a few minutes to spare, could you PM me? I'm in the video chat business and I'd love to do some user research with people who do any sort of instruction online.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Bolange fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 10, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not a musician myself per se but since ML didn't really have a work-for-hire thread and CC is more for visual arts

Anyway looking for a composer to do parody/sound alikes of copyrighted movie themes and pop songs for a web series, the more versatile the better. This would be an ongoing thing, per project basis

This post I made in CC originally has some details about what I was looking for. References are good too.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post423864723

located in the LA area though I can work with you anywhere if you have the skills

I'll bookmark this thread but best you contact me through email kuo2002@gmail.com

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Bassist in Seattle looking for anyone to play with. I like funk/jazz/fusion/rockunroll but really just want to play with ANYBODY.

Hey man, I live in Toronto but would you like to do some jam sessions over skype or something? I want to try to do either funk, afrobeat or indie. Let me know if you're down.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Bolange posted:

Actually, I'd also like to hear general impressions from anyone who is or has taken online guitar lessons (individual teacher over skype or whatever, not just youtube videos). Does the format work as well (or close) to an in person instructor? It seems like it would be much easier to work around my schedule and give me a wider variety of teachers to choose from.

Semi related, if online lessons are worth taking and you know of anyone who gives beginner/intermediate level (I can handle bar chords but my strumming and 'lead' playing is utter trash) lessons with a rock/prog/jazz/jamband genre, shoot me a pm.

I had an online teacher for several months a few years ago and was generally pleased with the experience.

There was no video/skype interaction, it was more of a correspondence thing. When I started taking lessons, he had me fill out a questionnaire about my goals/interests, and a short music theory quiz to find out what I already knew. From then, I got new material every two weeks, usually about 6-10 pages worth of exercises and things to study. There was a private web forum for all of his students, and periodically I could submit a recording for him to critique. The material was all at a perfect level for me -- challenging but accessible -- and I learned a lot about both music theory and technical aspects of playing.

Probably the biggest downside is that an arrangement like this does require more self-discipline, when you don't have a face-to-face relationship with a teacher to help keep you motivated. Also if you are a fairly new player, I would absolutely recommend in-person lessons; having somebody be able to closely observe your playing is really useful for making sure your basic technique is good and that you don't inadvertently develop any bad habits.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Not sure how well known it is around here, but I found this site kompoz.com. You upload a music track and invite anyone to add other instruments to communally create a full song.

I'm checking it out right now and i'm in the process of uploading a project and see if someone will add vocals, bass, or guitar solo.

It would be cool if we had something like that here, except if we uploaded the full DAW project file, instead of just an mp3 of a track, for more control and options.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Not sure how well known it is around here, but I found this site kompoz.com. You upload a music track and invite anyone to add other instruments to communally create a full song.

I'm checking it out right now and i'm in the process of uploading a project and see if someone will add vocals, bass, or guitar solo.

It would be cool if we had something like that here, except if we uploaded the full DAW project file, instead of just an mp3 of a track, for more control and options.

I would love to do something like this, but compatibility issues make me wary of it, at least for compositions that use the DAW as a VST host and not just a multi-track recorder. My Mac friend can't send me Ableton tracks with Komplete instruments in them, even though I also have Ableton and Komplete, because PC Ableton doesn't understand that PC Komplete is the same thing as Mac Komplete. It complains that it can't find Mac Komplete, and then the MIDI tracks that were using Massive or whatever don't work.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ejstheman posted:

I would love to do something like this, but compatibility issues make me wary of it, at least for compositions that use the DAW as a VST host and not just a multi-track recorder. My Mac friend can't send me Ableton tracks with Komplete instruments in them, even though I also have Ableton and Komplete, because PC Ableton doesn't understand that PC Komplete is the same thing as Mac Komplete. It complains that it can't find Mac Komplete, and then the MIDI tracks that were using Massive or whatever don't work.
Can he not (for example) bounce those tracks to audio before uploading his project? (I'm not being a smartass, I've spent the entire night, no sleep falling in love with this website and Im genuinely curious).

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Can he not (for example) bounce those tracks to audio before uploading his project? (I'm not being a smartass, I've spent the entire night, no sleep falling in love with this website and Im genuinely curious).

That's our plan for working around it, but it would be a much easier workflow if we had patch/midi information in the Ableton project and not just clips of audio. I assume the patch file format is the same and we could manually send each other patches to load on nonfunctional midi tracks, but that's a pain in the rear end to do every time for every track in a project.

Edit: Kompoz sounds great. If you play a real instrument and you want to just jam with people, it sounds like it would be super useful. And I'm not criticizing the DAW savestate idea so much as pointing out one obstacle to making such a thing work the way that Kompoz seems to work.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm looking for a vocalist in Toronto, male or female, to record about 10 songs. I'm paying $$CASH MONIES$$ for this - singer should have a more rock-oriented voice. Not to say they need to sound like Lemmy, mind you (that would actually be bad - also, see a doctor), but ultra-smoove cocktail lounge voices need not apply.

Also, the lyrics are quite spiritual in nature, so uh. No angry atheists, I guess. Sorry heathens!

If there are no Toronto vocalists around, then I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good alternatives to craigslist. I'm still going to try craigslist of course, but I want a backup plan in case I only get replies from weirdos.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Any jazzers in Orlando? I'm looking to better my playing by playing with some better players. I am a quick learner and can usually follow just about anything on the fly. I have been playing for a long but just recently become interested in learning some jazz guitar. Nothing too strict though, I'd want to jam to anything.

Just looking for some goons to hang with, kick back, and make some crazy music with.

betenoire
Jan 2, 2014
Edit: No longer available for teaching.

betenoire fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 15, 2014

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012
I live in Connecticut, HIT. ME. UP.

Metal, Blues, Rock, Post-Rock, Math Rock, Beach Rock, Surf Pop

Fairfield county region

SystemAdminLios
Feb 22, 2007
Serial Poster ? I prefer " Social Intelligifier " .
Guitar, Vocal, and Auxiliiary Percussion (Djembe, Congas, Guiro, Klave, Triangle, along with mallet keyboards) can AND SHOULD be taught in our classrooms, however I am more than happy to provide instruction - for a negotiable fee, of course. Bear in mind, marimbas dont just pop out of the sky, so I dont own one yet. But so long as you bring one to rehearsal, you too can learn the Super Mario Brothers theme on glockenspiel! Presently my home studio is located in Shorewood, Wisconsin - just outside Milwaukee city limits.

I have 15 years playing the guitar, and was one of my 3 major instruments in college. I have 5 years' singing, and 2 years playing hand and mallet percussion. I can and will incorporate as much theory as you can handle within the discussion and reenforce key concepts and how they fit together within an ensemble. I can teach you the fundamentals of reading music, and coupled with your independent study, you can learn how to read and practice on your instrument!

Also - Metronome. Get a goddamn 'nome app. they are cheap/free.

Side note - looking to make expirimental music - some NASA grade poo poo, in odd metres and with strange harmonies. Very strong possibility of some John Cage concepts(the composer,NOT the Kombatant). Should this pique your interest, please feel free to email or PM.

Edit: My spelling gives away the fact I went to a public school.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm bassist in London, UK looking for someone/a group to play music with, for fun. With beer and BBQ. I really don't care what genre, I'd just like to actually play with real live humans.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I am a cellist in Austin seeking guidance and instruction.
I have played for 16 years but very little in the last five due to living overseas and living my prized super expensive cello with my parents. I also play the classical guitar; I took it up about 3 years ago and wouldn't mind further instruction either. I prefer to take classes in-person, though the exact location does not matter. PM me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I live in the North OKC area of Oklahoma, hit me up and we'll jam or something. Played electric for a while, getting into bass a bit.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Well, my wife just started playing the piano, so I guess I can search for something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm looking to learn how to play the violin, all from step one, in the San Francisco Bay area. There's a few schools and teachers here, but their times never work with my availability. If anyone can instruct in violin, I'd love to hear your rates and times. I've really liked a lot of the violin that I've heard in electronic music lately, like stuff done by Lindsey Stirling, Blackmill, Hybrid, or Audiomachine.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Currently living in downtown Phoenix and looking for some people to gently caress around/practice with.

I'm officially awful at guitar despite owning one for nearly a decade. Self taught for a few years when I was younger and have more or less maintained what little skill I had since then. Just recently started actually trying again and it makes me yearn for the days of dropping acid and coming up with some sick riffs for that metal band we were totally gonna make. Id like to get that feeling back, probably minus the acid.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2014

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is going to be a hell of a stretch since I have yet to meet any Paris, France goons but you never know.

Currently the lyricist (cause I'm the only one that speaks English) for a blues rock/pop rock group with two guitarists. We need a singer, preferably one that can sing smoothly in English. We're also looking for a our rhythm section, bassist and drummer. We're planning on doing a number of covers ranging from Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin for example but we're mainly writing our own music so a background in composition and a motivation to do that would be nice.

An aside I'm going to start learning bass (won't be good enough to join the band for many months to come) and a local teacher would be nice.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone in the northwest Indiana/Chicago region wanna jam? I love the blues but will play anything just to be able to jam with humans. Guitar and vocals here.