Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'm in Northern VA (DC suburbs) and have been making music for close to 20 years, with a focus on rock guitar and producing electronic/dance music. I have a modest home studio and provide instruction in:

- Beginner / intermediate guitar (rock, blues, metal, funk, etc.), both technique and music theory
- Beginning bass
- Electronic music / production (Ableton Live, softsynths, Reaper, Sonar, Garageband, etc.)

PM or discolingua@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Bolange posted:

Actually, I'd also like to hear general impressions from anyone who is or has taken online guitar lessons (individual teacher over skype or whatever, not just youtube videos). Does the format work as well (or close) to an in person instructor? It seems like it would be much easier to work around my schedule and give me a wider variety of teachers to choose from.

Semi related, if online lessons are worth taking and you know of anyone who gives beginner/intermediate level (I can handle bar chords but my strumming and 'lead' playing is utter trash) lessons with a rock/prog/jazz/jamband genre, shoot me a pm.

I had an online teacher for several months a few years ago and was generally pleased with the experience.

There was no video/skype interaction, it was more of a correspondence thing. When I started taking lessons, he had me fill out a questionnaire about my goals/interests, and a short music theory quiz to find out what I already knew. From then, I got new material every two weeks, usually about 6-10 pages worth of exercises and things to study. There was a private web forum for all of his students, and periodically I could submit a recording for him to critique. The material was all at a perfect level for me -- challenging but accessible -- and I learned a lot about both music theory and technical aspects of playing.

Probably the biggest downside is that an arrangement like this does require more self-discipline, when you don't have a face-to-face relationship with a teacher to help keep you motivated. Also if you are a fairly new player, I would absolutely recommend in-person lessons; having somebody be able to closely observe your playing is really useful for making sure your basic technique is good and that you don't inadvertently develop any bad habits.