Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hi thread! I live in Riverside County, CA. I would love to jam with people, especially jazz people. I am a jazz vocalist and I especially love group vocal jazz and a capella. I really like singing in general, though, and as long as I do not have to scream or growl I am pretty much down for any genre. I also play flute, French horn, and a moderate amount of piano should you wish to have weird instruments in your jam. I am not great at jazz flute or really jazz anything except voice though. :(

I used to give private lessons for money but sadly I am super duper busy and lessons stress me out. However, I can give you some referrals to quality people in the general LA area. I have PMs. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's a bit late, so I might not be able to answer all those questions thoroughly just yet. But firstly, what is beat deaf? Is that an actual disability of sorts or just a term from someone who doesn't take to hearing a beat very well? I'll read about it when I can. I've been playing guitar on and off for a long time(But I just picked it up recently a few months ago after a several year break), but I was always just a noodler. I play mainly metal, but it's usually not the solos, although I would like to. For instance Death is my favorite band/thing to play. I'm doing okay and making progress on just playing the songs, and some of it along to the song, I'm just bad at hearing and matching up to a pulse if that makes sense. But I can match up to another guitar. And I don't know the difference in any of those terms, it's why I think if I had someone to just kind of explain it here and there, and help start me off, I probably wouldn't be so overwhelmed. And yeah, I kind of suspect I need to start fairly simple with this whole playing to a beat thing.

e: From what I could tell of a 4 minute video, I don't think I'm full on beat death. I still enjoy music, and like to bob my head along and stuff. I'm just not good at all at keeping time. Back when I was a kid and picking up guitar/drums/bass with all my buddies, everyone could naturally pick up on beats and stuff better than I could. I also have always had trouble isolating sounds out of any kind of mixture, whether it be music, or someone talking to me in a loud environment, etc, which I feel is related.

e2: I also enjoy writing music a bit, and have a bunch of guitar pro files I've tabbed out with guitar/bass/drums and stuff. It probably sucks but I would one day like to actually record it and hear it for real rather than me just playing it on guitar or hearing the .midi playback in GP. But I need to obviously learn how to play correctly to do that and it not sound like poo poo(although I could always just play to the GP track to keep in time, but I feel like that's a crutch)

Hrmmm, it sounds to me like you just need more support/training on subdivision. Really slow clicks are often even harder to play to, especially if you've got a lot of offbeat-type stuff going on. If you have a metronome that can support subdivision I'd recommend turning that on and seeing if it helps you stay on track. Here's one that can do it: https://theonlinemetronome.com/free-online-metronome.html

Learning to play to a pulse is absolutely a skill and a tricky one to pick up. And unfortunately, it's one of those skills that once you learn it it's really hard to comprehend what it feels like to not have it learned so people often suck at teaching it. If I'm understanding where you're at correctly, instead of trying to play a whole-rear end song, try just grooving on one chord/note to a metronome set at say, 80. First just try and match note to click exactly, then try subdividing with two notes per click. Then try skipping the click and just playing the 2nd subdivision (offbeats). It'll sound like a ska guitar lol. Then maybe try with scales or basic chord progressions, and then after that maybe try tackling a song again.

I don't think you're beat deaf either, otherwise something like Rocksmith would probably be impossible for you.