Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a bit of an odd request or maybe it isn't. I need a sort of casual helper/teacher to help me out with my guitar playing. And by casual, I just mean it doesn't need to be actual sit down on video lessons every week or whatever, I just want someone to pester over discord/facebook/or however that I can ask a lot of questions to and have them tell me what to do/practice, that sort of thing. The 2 big things for me are learning theory, and learning how to play with a metronome/in time or whatever. I can't even properly identify the beats/measures in songs in basic 4/4 stuff, and while I can play simple 1,2,3 or 4 notes per beat exercises to a metronome fine, I have no idea what I'm doing when I want to practice an actual song. I was trying to learn Tornado Of Souls intro last night, and while I was doing okay playing it in general, and even to the song itself(well it's a bit too fast for me to string skip well), I got immediately overwhelmed when I tried to break it down and play to a click, even slowed way down. And that happens with a ton of songs because there's always a lot of offbeat notes and stuff so it's never as simple as a typical exercise or something would be. Someone please help me learn how to learn. I'm happy to throw down some bucks for compensation.

Another example of me being bad - I got somewhat okay at playing the rhythm of Symphony of Destruction. I can play along fairly well in Rocksmith, or to the song, but if I try to play a guitarless backing track, I get lost pretty easy because I don't know how to play to the beat.

e: I've already been taking lessons at my local guitar store, but I don't feel like I'm getting much from them. I've asked some of this stuff to him, and he just usually gives a bit of a random answer that doesn't help much and he wants to go back to spending 90% of the lesson showing me riffs and stuff to practice.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Do you think you might be beat deaf? Worth a bit of reading to see if that sounds like a fit or not. For me...basic rhythm knowledge came pretty innate (doesn't mean I keep great time all the time...but you can read about it and see if it strikes a chord, yuck yuck)

If you end up short of volunteers feel free to pm me. I've had a fair amount of classical training on guitar and bass and can certainly out some rudimentary excercize.

How long have you been playing?

Also, are you trying to shred through metal solos? Or just playing chords? I'll say that a lot of rock and metal tends to have quite a bit of rhythmic complexity in both rhythm and lead. Not always the case, but more likely that in some other genres.

Are you aware of the difference between beat, pulse, meter and signature?

My first guess would be maybe you are leaping in terms of complexity and might just need to do some more rudimentary excercize (especially drum rudiments!) To get your internal sense of pulse, meter and common structure internalized to long term memory.

There are for sure better people here...but if you come up with nothing, I'd be happy to try and buff a few things out with you over zoom.

It's a bit late, so I might not be able to answer all those questions thoroughly just yet. But firstly, what is beat deaf? Is that an actual disability of sorts or just a term from someone who doesn't take to hearing a beat very well? I'll read about it when I can. I've been playing guitar on and off for a long time(But I just picked it up recently a few months ago after a several year break), but I was always just a noodler. I play mainly metal, but it's usually not the solos, although I would like to. For instance Death is my favorite band/thing to play. I'm doing okay and making progress on just playing the songs, and some of it along to the song, I'm just bad at hearing and matching up to a pulse if that makes sense. But I can match up to another guitar. And I don't know the difference in any of those terms, it's why I think if I had someone to just kind of explain it here and there, and help start me off, I probably wouldn't be so overwhelmed. And yeah, I kind of suspect I need to start fairly simple with this whole playing to a beat thing.

e: From what I could tell of a 4 minute video, I don't think I'm full on beat death. I still enjoy music, and like to bob my head along and stuff. I'm just not good at all at keeping time. Back when I was a kid and picking up guitar/drums/bass with all my buddies, everyone could naturally pick up on beats and stuff better than I could. I also have always had trouble isolating sounds out of any kind of mixture, whether it be music, or someone talking to me in a loud environment, etc, which I feel is related.

e2: I also enjoy writing music a bit, and have a bunch of guitar pro files I've tabbed out with guitar/bass/drums and stuff. It probably sucks but I would one day like to actually record it and hear it for real rather than me just playing it on guitar or hearing the .midi playback in GP. But I need to obviously learn how to play correctly to do that and it not sound like poo poo(although I could always just play to the GP track to keep in time, but I feel like that's a crutch)

e3: Thinking on this some more, and the hardest part about the whole metronome thing, is counting and keeping track of the ticks while I play, actually. I don't really sing, but singing and playing guitar is also incredibly difficult to me. I'm not sure if my issue is a rhythm thing, I feel like I can gallop and stuff on the guitar pretty well.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 13, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Hawkperson posted:

Hrmmm, it sounds to me like you just need more support/training on subdivision. Really slow clicks are often even harder to play to, especially if you've got a lot of offbeat-type stuff going on. If you have a metronome that can support subdivision I'd recommend turning that on and seeing if it helps you stay on track. Here's one that can do it: https://theonlinemetronome.com/free-online-metronome.html

Learning to play to a pulse is absolutely a skill and a tricky one to pick up. And unfortunately, it's one of those skills that once you learn it it's really hard to comprehend what it feels like to not have it learned so people often suck at teaching it. If I'm understanding where you're at correctly, instead of trying to play a whole-rear end song, try just grooving on one chord/note to a metronome set at say, 80. First just try and match note to click exactly, then try subdividing with two notes per click. Then try skipping the click and just playing the 2nd subdivision (offbeats). It'll sound like a ska guitar lol. Then maybe try with scales or basic chord progressions, and then after that maybe try tackling a song again.

I don't think you're beat deaf either, otherwise something like Rocksmith would probably be impossible for you.

Yeah, I actually noticed that learning Tornado Of Souls last night. I can sometimes play through with the song at full speed without messing it up(well the first harmonic string skipping riff, the 2nd intro riff is even harder imo), but I had it at 50% speed trying to play to the click and was having trouble, slowed it down to 25% and it was even harder. About 60-70% felt like the sweet spot. It's just the clicks line up with some notes that don't "stand out" if that makes sense, and it was making it difficult. Probably didn't help I was learning a new riff as well, so my brain was trying to do 2 new things at once.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I might message you at some point and take you up on that. I work a lot, so I only ever get days off every other weekend, otherwise I typically am tired and only have a couple hours every night available to play and mess around.