Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Also the band's uniforms are great :v:

This is pretty slick right here. You can probably crop it in from the left and still be fine (hell, almost to the background player's shoulder) but it's a very cool moment.

Haha poor marching band... it was raining all weekend, and they paraded around in their uniforms earlier in the day and were just doused in mud, so I guess somebody made the decision to change them out before the game.

And yeah, I was struggling with how to crop that photo more than most. I've been on a horizontal kick with everything lately, so I was trying to make that work even though I'm not convinced that moment really lends itself to that. Mostly I just wanted to avoid a square.

azathosk, your stuff is getting better, keep shooting and posting! You're learning to look for faces and moments, although you could still crop tighter on some (specifically 2 and 4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

azathosk, your stuff is getting better, keep shooting and posting! You're learning to look for faces and moments, although you could still crop tighter on some (specifically 2 and 4).

Thanks! It's really fun shooting sports. I'm going to have a go at shooting icehockey this winter. The team I support wants me to take pictures for the supportergroup.

I agree with you at #2, but the reason I didn't to more crop at #4 was (after what I remember) because the goalpost and the ball.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

I agree with you at #2, but the reason I didn't to more crop at #4 was (after what I remember) because the goalpost and the ball.

If it were me, I'd clean it up this way:

And good luck with hockey! I'm looking to shoot my first hockey in the next week or two as well, I'm expecting a trainwreck.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I thought about it, but I don't know if I like the goalpost.

Never done hockey before and I haven't watched it so much either so I guess I'll join you at the trainwreck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh you guys are going to love it. :suicide:

If you have any glass at f/4 or slower, don't bother taking it.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Which focal lengths do you guys use for shooting icehockey?

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
Speaking of hockey, the Blue Jackets practiced Monday and Tuesday in Oxford. First time I've shot hockey since last year, so good opportunity to shake some rust off.

This is not how you score fellas.

Even pros are scared of the puck!

Wish he was a righty, but oh well. Was chatting with people during the practice, not necessarily putting myself in all the right places.

All of these taken with a D700 w/ 70-200 2.8. Aperture for these is around F4 for most of them I think. Nothing too great. Regular season starts for Miami this weekend, looking forward to all of that!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Second photo post in the same day? I'm on fire!

Making interesting photos of kids running can be tough, but rain and mud help. Some selects:

:rock:

Full post here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Which focal lengths do you guys use for shooting icehockey?

I have a 50-200 that almost never comes off for a hockey game. Or most of my sports for that matter. I have a 30mm f/1.4 that works pretty well to get coaches and players if I'm on the bench with them.

Cow, that shot of #462 owns.

Miamikid I still hate you for getting access to goddamn Nationwide and Cady :mad:

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

I have a 50-200 that almost never comes off for a hockey game. Or most of my sports for that matter. I have a 30mm f/1.4 that works pretty well to get coaches and players if I'm on the bench with them.

Cow, that shot of #462 owns.

Miamikid I still hate you for getting access to goddamn Nationwide and Cady :mad:

I have a 55-200 that never comes off during the hockey games, and it frustrates me enough that I am upgrading to a 70-200 because of it lol.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Woot, hockey is back :toot:

IMG_4831 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_4896 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_4852 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_4815 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

European hockey jerseys are :pcgaming: as gently caress and I love them. Your first and 4th ones are great.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I really like the second one. That look in the goalie's eyes when he sees the puck crammed in the roof of the net...good stuff.

Haha yeah having access at Cady is great, I've never shot at Nationwide before though. Hell I've never even been to a Jackets game, trying to rectify that this season.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

BobTheCow posted:

Making interesting photos of kids running can be tough, but rain and mud help. Some selects:

This is a great set of photos! The mud and the rain make them, but I love the exposure balance and the colours, but then again all of your pcitures are fantastic. Are you using a 1D or a D3 or similar?

A few panning shots taken at Castle Combe, UK last year...

zDSC_8506 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8530 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8534 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8406 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8516 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8524 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Mazda RX-7 by R-W-P, on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 7, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

JuanChai posted:

This is a great set of photos! The mud and the rain make them, but I love the exposure balance and the colours, but then again all of your pcitures are fantastic. Are you using a 1D or a D3 or similar?

Thanks! Occasionally I use a borrowed 1DmkIII, but the majority of the photos I post are from my 7D or 40D. All those cross country photos were from the 7D, the football ones were a mix (and in desperate need of longer glass, my longest is only a 70-200). I come from the journalism world, so the only post-processing I do for the most part is crop, levels, sharpen.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

DJExile posted:

European hockey jerseys are :pcgaming: as gently caress and I love them. Your first and 4th ones are great.

Haha thanks.

Well, those white jerseys (my team) are certainly "unique". The ads, not so much.

@MiamiKid: thanks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kerrow posted:

Haha thanks.

Well, those white jerseys (my team) are certainly "unique". The ads, not so much.

@MiamiKid: thanks

Who was the Thrashers Jets prospect playing goal?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got sideline access to the hottest athletic event in the country.

That's right, bitches.

CYO 4th grade soccer :frogc00l:

A coworker asked me to get some of her son, hey why not?

Are those second ones above and below too green? My W/B was having a bitch of a time on a few of these.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Today I shot the most boring wedding I've ever been to, but it was bookended by the most exciting volleyball game I've ever shot last night and one of the most exciting football games I've ever shot tonight. This weekend was basically the perfect example of doing what you have to do for work in order to do what you want for fun. Sports pay poo poo but they're so fun!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

JuanChai posted:

zDSC_8530 by R-W-P, on Flickr

These are awesome. Especially the viper shots.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Some photos from the aforementioned awesome volleyball match on Friday.

Full post here.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Second go shooting tennis. Criticism welcomed.

suddenlymax by beazty327, on Flickr

readyposition by beazty327, on Flickr

intothelight by beazty327, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
willroc7, in the first photo, you missed focus. The people and house in the background are sharp, the subject is not. That's also a really busy background to fight, so I would have opened up the aperture to separate the subject some.

In the second, you opened up the aperture, but the action is happening to the out of focus player. That was obviously done inentionally with the way you framed and focused, but I'm not sure what your intention was.

The third is missing the ball. :)

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh... in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.

Meanwhile, I've finally dealt with my football photos from the weekend. Definitely not one of my best, but I'm trying to force myself to share work after every assignment. Some selects:

Full post here.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

[..] in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.
Something I discovered was pretty hard to remember when shooting icehockey.

A few selected shots:

More here.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh... in order to shoot sports more effectively, you first need to recognize what makes a good sports photograph. The main things I'd recommend watching out for while you start out are good action moments and clean backgrounds.
Not too harsh at all. Thank you for the feedback! Your photos are excellent by the way, the 2nd one is my favorite. You really captured the moment of the player fleeing from the two defenders well.

For the first photo, I know it would have been better had I nailed the focus, but I still thought it was a cool effect that highlighted the movement of the player into the frame (too fast to focus on?). The second photo I did focus on the net player intentionally. I have other shots with the opposite focus. I was trying to represent the feeling of being at the net and waiting for your partner to serve behind you, not really knowing what is going on back there while you are focused in your ready position. Does that make any sense? For the third one, I really do wish I had gotten the ball in the frame. Here are a couple others from the same shoot that hopefully suck slightly less.

cornershot by beazty327, on Flickr
Here I just wish I hadn't missed the rest of the player's foot:

stretch volley by beazty327, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Here are a couple others from the same shoot that hopefully suck slightly less.

Here I just wish I hadn't missed the rest of the player's foot:

stretch volley by beazty327, on Flickr

The top one is very nice. 2nd one is a good moment but it can do with a very generous crop from the top and bottom.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

DJExile posted:

The top one is very nice. 2nd one is a good moment but it can do with a very generous crop from the top and bottom.
That was my original thought as well, but I decided it might be nice to keep the tops of the buildings/trees/sky in the background.

After a quick crop, I agree with you completely!

stretch volley crop by beazty327, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

willroc7 posted:

This one is great. I love the action (even though you don't see any faces).

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

azathosk posted:

This one is great. I love the action (even though you don't see any faces).
Thanks. The lighting and angle from that position was perfect. I ended up using it to take some video of myself playing for analysis as well. I really like your second and fourth hockey shots. In the second one is the one guy smiling at his teammate being rocked face first into the barrier?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

willroc7 posted:

Thanks. The lighting and angle from that position was perfect. I ended up using it to take some video of myself playing for analysis as well. I really like your second and fourth hockey shots. In the second one is the one guy smiling at his teammate being rocked face first into the barrier?

Thank you! For my first try at shooting icehockey I thought it went pretty well myself. The guy smiling is actually another photographer. You can see the 70-200 just below his squirming face.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
We cant let this thread drop to second page of Dorkroom.

Game two of the season

IMG_5461 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5317 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5383 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I shot a hockey game also. Definitely loving my 80-200.

DSC_8548 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8549 by DarSevn, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Kerrow posted:

We cant let this thread drop to second page of Dorkroom.

Game two of the season
Absolutely loving those hockeyshots.

Sevn posted:

I shot a hockey game also. Definitely loving my 80-200.
I would try to crop the first picture - put more focus on the goalie and the puck.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

azathosk posted:

Thanks, couple more from that game.

IMG_5402 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5456 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

he scored from this :v:

IMG_5368 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5509 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Do they look strangely blue-ish or is just this LCD in work?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
it seems like it is some blue-ish to them. Just a hint of it though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's a shred of blue but it's really not a problem. They're great shots.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

azathosk posted:

I would try to crop the first picture - put more focus on the goalie and the puck.

I did think about cropping the first picture, but I can't crop it without leaving cut off body parts in the frame. I also thought the guys around the goalie added a little bit to the scene.

Still getting used to shooting hockey though. I grew up in Texas and never saw an ice-rink the whole time I was growing up, much less actually play hockey haha.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wrote a substantial report that contains about 150 pictures. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and give me your thoughts: http://www.driftworks.com/2011/10/bdc-final-2011-nissan-washington-reportgallery/

IMG_2429s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_2380s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_2717s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

IMG_2835s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

A5H posted:

I wrote a substantial report that contains about 150 pictures. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check it out and give me your thoughts: http://www.driftworks.com/2011/10/bdc-final-2011-nissan-washington-reportgallery/

I'm not up on motorsports at all, but here are my thoughts from a photography/design perspective.

I want to see all the photos processed in the same style. It's jarring to see "normal" color, B+W, and that desaturated look all included together willy nilly. There are so many interesting color combinations to play with, I'm not convinced removing that aspect adds anything at all.

Also, your cleaner shots are SO much stronger than the ones where you can see the barrier you're shooting over. More isn't always better. I'd much prefer to see a handful of strong, clean images than 100+ mediocre shots with real gold interspersed throughout (of which you do have some, don't get me wrong).

Now I know the guys involved in the racing probably love seeing every shot that's up there, but from a strictly photography perspective, I'd consider maybe making a personal blog post with just the strongest standalone images. At least that's how I'd separate the two audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8500 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I like this one a little.