Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

IMG_2380s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

God drat I am really loving the wide-angle drifting shots. You couldn't have timed that much better.

Sevn posted:

DSC_8500 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I like this one a little.

Hell yes blurry slapshots rule :hfive:. If you want to get good practice on your timing, shoot them during warmups when they're all blasting away from the blue line like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

A5H posted:

Loadsa drifting photos

A5H that animated GIF with the girls and the guy with the sunglasses is hilarious! I really like your photos, I'd love to be able to cover an event(s) like that. Your PPro is good as well, subtle but appropriate but I do agree with the comment that someone made that it might be better to have fewer photos but in the same style in one report/blog post or whatever. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I forgot to add, I agree that the photos without the foreground stuff (cones/barriers etc.) look much better too.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010

_MG_2084.jpg by ItsCrawford, on Flickr

My friend was hanging out with some of the longboarders on campus today, and they were right in front of my dorm so I ran and grabbed my camera.

Got a couple decent shots, but it's hard to get stuff that actually resembles motion.
Shot at 1/1600, f2.8, should I try and go slower shutter and pan more? These guys are outside every day and enjoyed it, so I know I can get a load more practice in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah.. try if you can get it down to 1/40 or so, it should look pretty sweet.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
We're 4-0 in the MAC. Awwww yeah. The real two tests are coming up -- two back to back Tuesday night games vs Northern Illinois and then Western Michigan. Tuesday night football will be weird, but they will hopefully be good games.

Last Saturday we took Miami to the cleaners, 49-28.

This is a LB after returning a fumble for a 55-yard touchdown.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Great photos there dakana. The last one = noise though :D

Not my shot, but something awesome from a sport I enjoy watching and following - cricket. It's Umar Gul, a Pakistani quick bowler, from a test match against Sri Lanka in the UAE at the moment. Normally a lot of cricket shots are the frozen-frame action shots, good with great focusing and ultra-sharp, but no real experimentation like panning. This one breaks the mould, and fits well as Gul is a fast bowler who gets quite fired up when he's doing well.

Enough wank from me

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

I'm not up on motorsports at all, but here are my thoughts from a photography/design perspective.

I want to see all the photos processed in the same style. It's jarring to see "normal" color, B+W, and that desaturated look all included together willy nilly. There are so many interesting color combinations to play with, I'm not convinced removing that aspect adds anything at all.

Also, your cleaner shots are SO much stronger than the ones where you can see the barrier you're shooting over. More isn't always better. I'd much prefer to see a handful of strong, clean images than 100+ mediocre shots with real gold interspersed throughout (of which you do have some, don't get me wrong).

Now I know the guys involved in the racing probably love seeing every shot that's up there, but from a strictly photography perspective, I'd consider maybe making a personal blog post with just the strongest standalone images. At least that's how I'd separate the two audiences.

JuanChai posted:

A5H that animated GIF with the girls and the guy with the sunglasses is hilarious! I really like your photos, I'd love to be able to cover an event(s) like that. Your PPro is good as well, subtle but appropriate but I do agree with the comment that someone made that it might be better to have fewer photos but in the same style in one report/blog post or whatever. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I forgot to add, I agree that the photos without the foreground stuff (cones/barriers etc.) look much better too.

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it!
I agree that I could thin things out somewhere, but for driftworks I'm expected to show an entire day's worth of shots etc. It's more reporting than photography in that sense. I think maybe taking the best and making a little site is a great idea though.

I'll do all my shots with the same processing next time. I just get excited and click all the buttons quite often :(

Thanks again guys, it's given me some nice things to work at!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Auditore posted:

Great photos there dakana. The last one = noise though :D

Thanks! Do you mean "= noise" as in it's noisy? It's reaaaaaally tough to shoot in that stadium because the only lighting on the sides, so the endzones are black holes. Even in the middle of the field it's 1/500, 2.8, ISO 3200. Since I'm stuck with my 70-200 f/4 on my Canon camera, it's ISO 6400 in the end zone, and even that is pretty dark if they aren't facing the sidelines, so I often boost it in post up past that. So a lot of times I'm forced with shooting at an effective ISO 12,800 with a camera whose hardware only takes it up to 3200. My poor 1D3... I really need to upgrade to the 2.8. Glass before body, kids :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I went to my girlfriend's naginata competition last weekend. She got 3rd (since there were only three teams in her age bracket :v:). The elementary school kids were adorable, the girls in high school were hardcore, and the old ladies mostly chillaxed.

Naginata Competition by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This one is great. I love what you have done in post.

I'm going to shoot the norwegian cup final next week. It's probably the largest football event in Norway, so I'm stuck there with alot of professional photographers. Getting a bit nervous already.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Went to another game, took about 150 photos, deleted about 90% of them.

I mean, what could go wrong, did. 150 shots with missed focus, obstructed view, glares from the glass, action faced mostly away from me, flickering lights... :bang:

Here is few that didnt get deleted.

IMG_5824 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5764 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_5841 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

dakana posted:

Thanks! Do you mean "= noise" as in it's noisy? It's reaaaaaally tough to shoot in that stadium because the only lighting on the sides, so the endzones are black holes. Even in the middle of the field it's 1/500, 2.8, ISO 3200. Since I'm stuck with my 70-200 f/4 on my Canon camera, it's ISO 6400 in the end zone, and even that is pretty dark if they aren't facing the sidelines, so I often boost it in post up past that. So a lot of times I'm forced with shooting at an effective ISO 12,800 with a camera whose hardware only takes it up to 3200. My poor 1D3... I really need to upgrade to the 2.8. Glass before body, kids :(

Yes, the noise in the crowd and the sky, although that's alright really. Do you do any reduction in post? Nik Define is amazing for noise reduction, it's definitely saved me a lot in basketball games when I had to shoot with my 55-250mm before I got my nifty fifty.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
Cross posting from the software thread. Just skimmed through the thread and saw some great stuff...I would read the entire thread to make sure this hasn't been asked, but I know I'll spend way too much time looking at all the cool shots.

Also, I work in the media relations department for a college athletics program and in charge of credentialing all you photogs. I can probably offer some advice from my end if anyone has any questions on that process, or what we look for when we contract phtogos for events.

And if anyone lives in Birmingham, Tulsa or New Orleans and would like to discuss working a contracted event, we may be looking for someone to shoot for us in the near future. Or if anyone is in Houston and would like to gain access to our events for practice, let me know as well.

I had a question about sorting photos after I get the photo DVD from our photographer:

Action Saxxon posted:

Sorry, should've been a little more specific and maybe provide a little background info. I work at a college athletic program and in charge of sorting various sports photos - we use them in a variety of ways web, print, media requests, etc. So each subject having their own folder makes it easy for me to complete certain requests.

After a sporting event I get the photo DVD and then import the 500-1500 images onto my computer and then start the process of putting the photo subject into their own folder. Sometimes multiple players are in the shot and if it's good enough to use for multiple people, I'll just copy and paste the file and distribute it over the correct player folders. Example, I see a photo of #99 John Smith, I move that picture out of my event folder that I just imported to, then move it over to John Smith's folder.

Here's a quick screen grab video of what I'm doing, if that helps explain it better: http://youtu.be/idZ9NAgJyeA

Downloaded Lightroom and played around with it a few minutes but will have to wait until after work to really figure it out.

Have I been going about this completely rear end backwards? If I make the switch to Lightroom, I don't think it'd be that terribly bad to go back and start tagging everyone.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Action Saxxon posted:

Have I been going about this completely rear end backwards? If I make the switch to Lightroom, I don't think it'd be that terribly bad to go back and start tagging everyone.

I would say, essentially, yes. :)

If I were to be in your position and needed to be that specific, I would sort photos in folders by game within sport, but tagging each photo with players in the frame. That way you don't have duplicate photos all over the place, and you know that when you search/sort for that tag you'll have every photo of that player available.

I'd be curious to pick your brain about your side of things, since I work with a university myself, but I might relegate that to PM/e-mail as none of my questions have to do with actual photography, would you mind?

--------

Holy poo poo dakana I sure hope you were shooting tonight's Toledo game. I just saw the recap, loving wild.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

Holy poo poo dakana I sure hope you were shooting tonight's Toledo game. I just saw the recap, loving wild.

Yeah. That was a long, long game, and honestly, the coaching lost it. I'm importing everything right now -- pictures'll be up soon.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Clearly you're not working for somebody with a strict enough deadline if you have time to check the forums in the midst of processing photos ;)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

BobTheCow posted:

Clearly you're not working for somebody with a strict enough deadline if you have time to check the forums in the midst of processing photos ;)

Working for a bi-weekly paper is awesome sometimes :)

Otherwise I'd have had a laptop at the game. Right now, though, the only impetus I have to get them done tonight is for an online gallery and Facebook.

Anyway, man, what a heartbreaker. 60 points of offense wasn't enough to win this one. A year after giving up 65 points, UT gives up 63 points. With over 1500 all-purpose yards, this game was ridiculous. I'm exhausted -- running up and down the field myself had something to do with it, no doubt.

This is what pissed me off. You're up 60-56 with one minute left in the game. They're at your 3. Why the hell wouldn't you call a timeout? If you've given up 56 points, your defense isn't suddenly going to completely stuff them at the 3. To make matters worse, instead of just scoring, NIU ended up getting two penalties to leave them at the 13 with less than a minute left, and they take a few plays to punch it in, leaving UT with less than 20 seconds to get to FG range to tie it or go 70 yards for a touchdown. I don't understand why they didn't save the clock. Ugh.

Anyway.

Since this game was broadcast on ESPN's 3D network, this dude was running around

And, finally, here is the game-winning 17th touchdown.

dakana fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 7, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

And, finally, here is the

These both own really hard. That Eric Page stretch is pretty slick too.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 2, 2011

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

BobTheCow posted:

I would say, essentially, yes. :)

If I were to be in your position and needed to be that specific, I would sort photos in folders by game within sport, but tagging each photo with players in the frame. That way you don't have duplicate photos all over the place, and you know that when you search/sort for that tag you'll have every photo of that player available.

I'd be curious to pick your brain about your side of things, since I work with a university myself, but I might relegate that to PM/e-mail as none of my questions have to do with actual photography, would you mind?

--------

drat, oh well. I started out with just a couple of thousand photos and have since grown to over 70,000. Was starting to get out of hand but at least I realized now!

Sure, sending a PM.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Action Saxxon posted:

drat, oh well. I started out with just a couple of thousand photos and have since grown to over 70,000. Was starting to get out of hand but at least I realized now!

Oh jeez, that's a pretty huge catalog already, yikes! I mean it's really personal preference, it comes down to whatever works for you and your staff. Would it be possible to start sorting/tagging new photos from now on that way, but still keep the old system in place for the moment with existing photos? Maybe that way after a couple of weeks of intake and usage you'll have a better idea of which system works better for your situation.

(And thanks, I'll reply to your PM this afternoon!)

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

BobTheCow posted:

Oh jeez, that's a pretty huge catalog already, yikes! I mean it's really personal preference, it comes down to whatever works for you and your staff. Would it be possible to start sorting/tagging new photos from now on that way, but still keep the old system in place for the moment with existing photos? Maybe that way after a couple of weeks of intake and usage you'll have a better idea of which system works better for your situation.

(And thanks, I'll reply to your PM this afternoon!)

And that's only a fraction of all of our photos! I'm not too concerned with going back over the discs from late 1990s-2008 as everyone has graduated and we have an adequate supply of those student-athletes on our harddrives, really just concerned with getting the best system in place now and moving forward...And then there are thousands more old photos from the 1950s to 1990s in our 50-foot archive room that will someday be scanned in along with thousands upon thousands of other paper documents.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Is it anybody here who got experience with Photo Mechanic? I got a tip about that program not so long ago - he said it "revolutionized the sorting process".

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

Is it anybody here who got experience with Photo Mechanic? I got a tip about that program not so long ago - he said it "revolutionized the sorting process".

Photo Mechanic is the industry standard for the journalism world, its focus is on being quick and efficient. It's barebones compared to Lightroom or Aperture, because it's only focused on sorting your raw take and dealing with IPTC data, which it does very well.

You can download a free trial for 20 days if you'd like to give it a shot. Did you have any specific questions about it?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

You can download a free trial for 20 days if you'd like to give it a shot. Did you have any specific questions about it?

I'm trying to set it up for the match on sunday, but can't quite figure it out. I want it to add the tags for the sport, the teams, the match, the stadium and such. And then I want to have it all set up so I can tag every picture with the correct players.

My advise to myself would be to rtfm and fix it when I've read it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah hockey :getin:

I need to use something better than GIMP for noise. God drat.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

I need to use something better than GIMP for noise. God drat.

Noise Ninja has always been the go-to as far as I've known, though it wouldn't suprise me if there were more recent competitors that can keep up.

Also, I just had this conversation at the bar tonight: goddamn I love hockey fights. I will always love any photo of toothless goons beating the poo poo out of each other on hilariously uneven footing.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 6, 2011

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some pictures from the cupfinal between SK Brann and Aalesunds FK (AaFK). AaFK won 2-1. (Warning long post):

SK Brann

SK Brann - Aalesunds FK by azathosk, on Flickr

Aalesunds FK

From the match:

AaFKs goalscorer (both goals):

AaFK with the trophy!

Alot more pictures here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

LOVE this! Perfect moment, good expression. I don't look through a ton of soccer photos, but this seems like something a bit different from the standard soccer action. Certainly something I've never gotten in my half-assed soccer attempts. Nice work. (Though if it were me I think I would have cropped in a bit more ;))

Snap Your Fingers
Dec 16, 2006
I've been insightful for about 17 years.
I'm a videographer, and not super experienced with DSLRs, but I bought a 7D recently. Here's some work just getting used to the camera. This are my two favorites from Keystone today, and the light was not great.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

BobTheCow posted:

LOVE this! Perfect moment, good expression. I don't look through a ton of soccer photos, but this seems like something a bit different from the standard soccer action. Certainly something I've never gotten in my half-assed soccer attempts. Nice work. (Though if it were me I think I would have cropped in a bit more ;))

Thanks! I didn't like it that much cropped. Felt it got to close actually.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dread Head posted:

What was your setup for these photos? Grigri on a rope on an adjacent route?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I was able to actually be up an adjacent slope for nearly all my photos while down in Smith Rocks (should really post more photos some time), this made things simpler as I had a bit more freedom in moving around.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Basketball's back! :toot: You know how big-time basketball programs start their season against some poor small program as a guaranteed win to shake off the rust? We were that poor small program! :v:

I also tried using a floor remote for the first time...

...which nearly ended in disaster:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Dreadhead, those are some really beautiful shots. Very nice use of the scenery.

BobTheCow posted:

I also tried using a floor remote for the first time...

...which nearly ended in disaster:

Hahaha jesus. This is awesome. (I'm glad you didn't get hurt)

So, uh, last week the UT - NIU game set the record for touchdowns in the Glass Bowl at 17.

This week we topped it.

18 touchdowns. 804 yards of offense for Toledo. 66-63. What the flying gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus christ western who approved that helmet design? :stare:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Got to shoot wrestling yesterday. That was something ... different. Alot harder than football and icehockey. And I really need to learn to use a flash.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

azathosk posted:

Got to shoot wrestling yesterday. That was something ... different. Alot harder than football and icehockey. And I really need to learn to use a flash.

Really, it's tough using flash for sports. You run the risk of interfering with the game by flashing a player, for one, but the largest challenge is balancing the ambient light. Since usually the only time you're going to actually need a flash it's going to be super dark, you can't just pull back the exposure and let your flash illuminate since a single on-axis point source is going to look terrible with tons of hard shadows everywhere. It can sometimes be used effectively when balanced with the ambient to provide just a bit of lower fill light.

Usually the only time flash works in super dark environments is when you can get two or more light sources up high or bouncing off the ceiling -- dedicated strobes are best, but in a smaller arena people have effectively used hotshoe flashes or smaller monolights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well I had a fun weekend :q:

Rest of them soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This weekend I shot three volleyball matches, two soccer games, and a football game. Holy poo poo I'm beat.