Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

dakana posted:

Really, it's tough using flash for sports. You run the risk of interfering with the game by flashing a player, for one, but the largest challenge is balancing the ambient light. Since usually the only time you're going to actually need a flash it's going to be super dark, you can't just pull back the exposure and let your flash illuminate since a single on-axis point source is going to look terrible with tons of hard shadows everywhere. It can sometimes be used effectively when balanced with the ambient to provide just a bit of lower fill light.

Usually the only time flash works in super dark environments is when you can get two or more light sources up high or bouncing off the ceiling -- dedicated strobes are best, but in a smaller arena people have effectively used hotshoe flashes or smaller monolights.

I got a few shots that I think was "ok". The "arena" was a badly lit hall who could accommodate about 200 people. The ring had two-three lights directed at it, but it made my lightmeter go crazy. I used a Speedlite 580 EX II with the bounce card pulled up and pointed it ... upwards.

wrestling-7019 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7017 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7081 by azathosk, on Flickr

wrestling-7122 by azathosk, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011
A couple from recent games:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Volleyball! CNU won the regional tournament, so I'm headed to St. Louis this weekend to shoot the (D3) national championship tournament. :toot:

Full post here: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/11/16/ncaa-volleyball-action.html

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Shot a bike race on 4x5 with 100 speed film a few months ago.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Reichstag posted:

Shot a bike race on 4x5 with 100 speed film a few months ago.

This is loving rad!

CNU won their first game, so they play in the national semifinals this afternoon. A few from yesterday:

I've been trying to do some different stuff here, I'm hoping to nail the action a little better today.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Got new LCD last week, looks like it needs some calibrating.

Anyways, some new photos.

IMG_6304 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Where is it? by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

There it is! by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6317 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6531 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 21, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Last Thursday I got on a bus to St. Louis to shoot the NCAA D3 volleyball championships, got back yesterday afternoon. I was loving exhausted, but I made it out to shoot a bit of basketball last night.

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/11/22/welcome-back-to-work.html

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Doing some football shots again. Last round of the season next week, it's getting cold and dark now...

Strømsgodset - Vålerenga:

Strømsgodset - Vålerenga by azathosk, on Flickr

When you dive...

...you will get booked

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

BobTheCow posted:

I've been trying to do some different stuff here, I'm hoping to nail the action a little better today.
I love the photos! However, is it just me or do these photos seem a little purplish/blue to you? I'm assuming their uniforms are supposed to be bright white. Again it could be my monitor playing tricks on me.

I got a chance to go out and watch a tennis legend play in an exhibition match against an up and coming Canadian. Pete Sampras vs Milos Raonic :)

samprasraonic by UncleRico., on Flickr

And if you know how big these two guys can serve, you'll appreciate this photo that much more :)

DSC_4226 by UncleRico., on Flickr

The rest of the set here. Flickr manages photos a lot better than Google Webalbums, too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hello thread, I haven't abandoned you!

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nor have I!

DSC_2033 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_2026 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1938 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1701 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha scooter racing?! That's the best thing!
Nice shots too!

Here is a bike I shot at 180mph for some content:

180 by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Probably my favourite ever pan.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

A5H posted:

This looks good but could probably be brightened up a bit. Maybe not overall, but just on the bike itself.

Sevn posted:

DSC_2026 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Great shot with the kneepad here.

-----

I shot some cyclocross last weekend:

None of the events I ever go to have a whole lot of mud :(

I also finished up my calendar for this year, I think its a lot better than the one I put together last year, still debating on if I'll ship these out to the bike shops around town. I'd like to, but I can't really justify the cost.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Scooter racing is pretty intense here, and those scooters are no joke.

This was actually a 90 minute team endurance race (or you could race alone if you were crazy enough)

DSC_1673 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Her and her partner got 1st place in their division, though she had a nasty crash and actually had to sit it out for 20-30 laps. Her crash was pretty bad actually, I am surprised she ended up riding again. She got pushed into a barrier but the way she crashed caused her body to be completely stuck pinned down. She had to be driven off the track.

Here is a winner from the motorcycle division (Which was racing at the same time as the scooters)

DSC_1637 by DarSevn, on Flickr

And here is a scooter that I barely missed crashing. He crashed so hard it tore his helmet off, and he was barely out of the way when 2 other guys crashed into his scooter.

DSC_1722 by DarSevn, on Flickr

All in all, there were at least 10 crashes, one guy was taken off in the ambulance, and the race was red flagged 4 or 5 times. Oh, this was all on a go-kart track, with 30+ scooters and motorcycles.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 27, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Robert DX that calendar cover is fantastic.

EDIT:

A5H posted:

Holy poo poo I missed this. God drat this is awesome.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 28, 2011

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Alot of great shots guys. Loving those motorcycle pans.

The last game of the season, and the last game in the career for the Vålerenga-legend Freddy dos Santos:

Vålerenga - Stabæk by azathosk, on Flickr

The rest.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wish I had a better computer so I could edit more pictures faster (as it is, I rarely edit them to begin with).

DSC_1883 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Untitled-1 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Pretty sure the border on this is not even, I'll redo it one of these days. (or maybe I should say the crop?)

Sevn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 1, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

This is hysterical with the ball cropped out.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Women's basketball :toot:

Mismatch! :v:

Full post: http://www.ryanmkelly.com/blog/2011/12/1/dominanance.html

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

This is hysterical with the ball cropped out.

Haha, I didn't picture it without the ball, but yes. You're right.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
I need some serious photogoon advice. I'm not normally a sports shooter, but I recently joined a Roller Derby team and have settled in as their main photographer. Natural light? Sure, great! But the issue is that on Thursday nights we practice in an incredibly dark bar with LOTS of colored changing lights. I don't want to just shove up my ISO and cross my fingers because the quality of light on the skaters is still not very good.

These ones were done with flash with a small softbox diffuser. They came out okay, but the flash makes them look so unnatural because the area is so dark and either pink or blue or orange. There is no true daylight balanced light in there.

So what would you suggest? I've got two speedlights. Should I gel them different colors? Crosslight the skaters?

This is the shot that I want, however it's unsuccessful because they're skating through such a dark area and of course they're going to be blurry if I can't get my shutter speed up. I'd like to light them somehow, but I'd like suggestions.

Tamgerine fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 3, 2011

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
The lighting in arena went to poo poo about 2 months ago. Thats the only explanation I have for the noisy pile of crap lately :saddowns: . Shooting at the same settings as last year, I have to add about +1 exposition in post, as opposed to about +0.1 to 0.2 I was adding last year.

IMG_6784 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6684 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6727 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6736 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6749 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Trying to push my limits in panning, otherwise I am getting a little bored with it.

DSC_2437 by DarSevn, on Flickr

This is 1/30s @155mm, f20.

Not sure how that lens performs at f20 and I have better pictures from the race, this is just the only one I edited, so far.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sevn posted:

Trying to push my limits in panning, otherwise I am getting a little bored with it.

DSC_2437 by DarSevn, on Flickr

This is 1/30s @155mm, f20.

Not sure how that lens performs at f20 and I have better pictures from the race, this is just the only one I edited, so far.

You're not pushing until you're into single digit pans :colbert:

Very nice shot though, if a touch over exposed on the helmet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your panning looks good, though it does look a little overexposed to me as well.

I've gotten pretty bored with the bog standard "panning race shot" myself. These shots are good for making a few bucks because those are the pictures that drivers/riders will want, but they're pretty terrible for capturing the "feel" of a race.

I think the solution is to hunt for new angles and backgrounds, though it's hard because race tracks aren't chosen for their scenery. All my favorite panning shots from other photographers have something awesome in the background.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

Your panning looks good, though it does look a little overexposed to me as well.

I've gotten pretty bored with the bog standard "panning race shot" myself. These shots are good for making a few bucks because those are the pictures that drivers/riders will want, but they're pretty terrible for capturing the "feel" of a race.

I think the solution is to hunt for new angles and backgrounds, though it's hard because race tracks aren't chosen for their scenery. All my favorite panning shots from other photographers have something awesome in the background.

You guys are both right, it is a bit over exposed, my fault for editing it so quick. I didn't like these races because my friend crashed on the 1st lap haha. I also got harassed a bit by the new track people. Just wasn't feeling it too much, so I handed my camera off and actually watched the race from the inside of the track.

I'll get one of those single digit pans, I just don't wanna spend the whole race trying to get one and discarding all of the blurry shots haha.

Edit: The big reason I mentioned the staff hassling me was because I meant to say that it threw me into a far worse spot than I would have chosen otherwise.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Sevn posted:

Oy. Clean that sensor!

(Mine is probably worse. :3: )

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nummy posted:

Oy. Clean that sensor!

(Mine is probably worse. :3: )

Gonna get around to that next time I am in the states. Don't know where to get it done here, and I don't trust a lot of the shops anyways :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve my new E-5. Let's take a look at how rough the E-30 sometimes performed at ISO 2000, with only white balance corrected in post:

Yeesh. :stare:

Now let's look at the new E-5. Everything here has only been corrected for W/B, and aside from the last picture, is all at ISO 2000 or 2500. The same lens was used in both and these are all taken at the same arena.

:toot:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

Oh my god I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve my new E-5. Let's take a look at how rough the E-30 sometimes performed at ISO 2000, with only white balance corrected in post:

What are these wacky moon numbers? Buy a real camera, amateur! ;)

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I went to a football game. I sat on the top row. I gave no fucks. Repost from SAD.

Packers/Raiders 12/11/2011 Lambeau Field by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I went to a football game, too! :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

You lucky SOB, how was the NFL sideline?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

DJExile posted:

You lucky SOB, how was the NFL sideline?

Fun as hell. Everyone was really nice, too. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but all the other photographers were good, friendly people. I always try to be very respectful on sidelines and make sure I'm not blocking anyone, and most of the folks there were happy to do the same, or let me get in in front of them so I could kneel and they could shoot over me if I got there after they did, etc. Some dudes from NFL films were there with a high-speed Arriflex camera -- that was sweet too.

Plus, the food. Holy loving poo poo. A breakfast spread at 11:30, motherfucking Skyline chili spaghetti and coneys at half-time, and then tons of pizza postgame. It was incredible.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

dakana posted:

You had better seats than I did. :mad:

Awesome photos. :shobon:

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

dakana posted:

It was incredible.
Fuckkkkkkkk that would be my dream day.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I tried shooting at ISO 6400. It's awesome and terrible at the same time.

gently caress you, ref :argh:

IMG_6970-5 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6958-3 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6978 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6966 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Poor guy, 5 goals on first 8 shots, no back up goalie.

IMG_6910 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_6884 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 18, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kerrow posted:

gently caress you, ref :argh:

IMG_6970-5 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

haha oh man I have had so many of those moments

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_3542 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I am not really that good at shooting hockey, and there aren't any good spots in this arena to shoot from :(

On the bright side (pun?) they fixed the lights and I can shoot at ISO 800 instead of 4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I shoot hockey too!

Vålerenga - Lillehammer by azathosk, on Flickr

Used my new (used) 70-200mm F2.8L IS I for this match, a bit unsure about the focusing. It's either the camera/lens or the photographer, I think I need to check both...