Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Some great photos here. I'm not really interested in sports but I think it's a great opportunity for photography. I've sat next to a few amateur basketball games with the camera the last couple of Sundays but I'm not really happy with any of my shots enough to post them up. Getting a pleasing shot is way harder than I thought and I'm finding the whole thing quite challenging (in a good way). My shots look very messy, as the games happen in the local playground and the backgrounds are often cluttered and distracting.

I took a few snaps at my local race track in the UK, Castle Combe when I first got my DSLR last year. Unfortunately, they're at 800px as I din't upload the full-size ones and I can't find them.

Subaru Impreza WRX by R-W-P, on Flickr

Subaru Impreza 22B by R-W-P, on Flickr

Ferrari 308 GTB by R-W-P, on Flickr

Ferrari 308 GT4 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

WindyMan posted:

Oh, and a word about the above photo. I must have taken 60 or so shots to try to get the timing right. (I wasn't using a tripod, I just rested my camera on a concrete pillar.) When I was about ready to wrap up processing, I realized I still had a use for the shots I mistimed:

This works well. Sometimes it's all about the photos you didn't mean to take.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

BobTheCow posted:

Making interesting photos of kids running can be tough, but rain and mud help. Some selects:

This is a great set of photos! The mud and the rain make them, but I love the exposure balance and the colours, but then again all of your pcitures are fantastic. Are you using a 1D or a D3 or similar?

A few panning shots taken at Castle Combe, UK last year...

zDSC_8506 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8530 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8534 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8406 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8516 by R-W-P, on Flickr

zDSC_8524 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Mazda RX-7 by R-W-P, on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 7, 2011

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

A5H posted:

Loadsa drifting photos

A5H that animated GIF with the girls and the guy with the sunglasses is hilarious! I really like your photos, I'd love to be able to cover an event(s) like that. Your PPro is good as well, subtle but appropriate but I do agree with the comment that someone made that it might be better to have fewer photos but in the same style in one report/blog post or whatever. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I forgot to add, I agree that the photos without the foreground stuff (cones/barriers etc.) look much better too.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Firstly, horse racing is HUGE here in Hong Kong. I've been to the races a number of times recently and have taken quite a few photos, but I haven't been particularly happy with the outcome. I find the cluttered backgrounds too distracting and there are so many clashing colours going on, what with the green of the grass and the psychedelic jerseys of the jockeys that I find the photos to be generally messy and unappealing. Every time the horses gallop by I feel quite moved to be in the presence of such power and grace and those jockeys have balls of steel, so that is what I want to try and convey from my photos. With that in mind, in this photograph I've tried to isolate the horse and the rider from the action whilst retaining the sense of speed and drama by using high contrast black and and using the straining muscles of the horse. I would like to do a series of these. Before you ask - no, I wasn't a winner...

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

What do you guys think? Do you think this project has what it takes to go the distance (ta-dum). Only problem is that I need to wait a while between race fixtures.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

DJExile posted:

That's a beautiful shot. I'd maybe like a little more open crop to show the sort of chaos/action around him but that's really drat awesome.

There's plenty of drama, no question. It's going to be hard to convey speed with everything as frozen and tightly cropped as it is. I know panning is probably out of the question with all the movement involved, but opening up your crop may help show that better, so we see the legs of the horse, other riders in the race, etc. The drama of the race as a whole may work better for you, while interactions between jockey and horse before or after the race (isolated moment in the stables or starting gates, etc) could be better suited for reflecting the relationship between the two. Just my two cents. Regardless it's still a fantastic photo.

What kind of access do you have at the race track? If you can get some isolated horse and jockey or trainer shots before a race, those could look really cool. Probably really depends on security and privacy rules though.

Thanks for the feedback! Some great ideas and points to reflect on there. It's interesting you talk about opening up the crop as I also thought long and hard about this. I know exactly what you're saying, but I have noticed that when you start making the field of view broader the composition becomes quite cluttered and the subject starts to become less defined. The other issue with this is that as the horses are running so close to the inside railing you get all sorts of background interference; screens, marshals, rails, ambulances, etc. unless you're shooting a slower shutter speed. However, in this case you get the motion blur on the legs which looks very odd. It's definitely a balancing act! However, I will absolutely give some of your points a try, after all you don't achieve anything without experimentation.

I don't have any special access to the riders or runners unfortunately, so getting the more intimate shots is going to be a challenge. The best I can do is stand near the winner's enclosure and hope for the best. The racetracks are so crowded here that if you lose your spot near the track it's almost impossible to get it back. All part of the challenge though!

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

DJExile posted:

Yeah, thinking more about it, maybe a tighter crop is the way to go here. I'm thinking more about the race in general as opposed to the rider/horse relationship I suppose.

azathosk posted:

But that picture is a winner. While DJEXile thinks it was a bit too tight, I think that the crop was absolutely perfect. For me it makes the picture even more dramatic. A wider shot would probably have disturbed the sense of tension I get from the jockey and the horse.

Yeah, I was definitely keen to portray the relationship between horse and rider and I felt the tight crop was the way to go.

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 8, 2012

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Eeek posted:

It's not. Here is a link (not mine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwATiSwtBdQ

'Silent' mode on my 1DIII is anything but.

Never taken shots of pool before, but the opportunity arose the other day. Going for something cinematic that captures the intensity of a pressure shot combined with the thought process that might go through a players head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Turbine powaaaargh!

Howmet TX @ Le Mans Classic '12 by R-W-P (Rupert in Hong Kong), on Flickr