Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yesterday, I went out to north Boulder and shot some paragliders:

The dude in the foreground is practicing controlling his chute:

I hiked up the hill to catch some launches from up close and shoot the gliders from above, but when I got up there, I discovered that my memory card had died. I could read images from it, but writing to it was impossible. Didn't have a spare on me.

The last shot of the afternoon:

EDIT:

Bonus, Tim Hudson bunts during last Wednesday's Rockies-Braves game:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Are there any good systems for keep a camera accessible but also out of the way for steep or hard hiking? I hate stopping, unstrapping my pack, taking out the camera, shooting a few photos, and then putting it all back.

Is there some kind of quick-draw chest bag or strap that would hold the camera against my torso and keep it from swinging, but still allow fast and easy access?

This is the kind of scrambling I'm talking about, Mount Lady Washington, RMNP, around 12k feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-ft1gWBzk

Please ignore the beard. I grew it on a dare for this Colorado trip.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Nikon 70-300 focuses really fast. It should work well.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dread Head posted:

What was your setup for these photos? Grigri on a rope on an adjacent route?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I bought a GoPro HD, and today I attached it to my cross country skis and took advantage of the tiny amount of snow we got this weekend up here in Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftRZW_UVfJM

I really like this camera so far - I can't wait until either a lot more snow or a solid melt so I can attach it to the top or the bottom of my kayak.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BobTheCow posted:

I'm excited to see more GoPro work in this thread, and thanks for sharing, but man cross country skiing looks miserable.

Cross country skiing is the sort of sport you have to stockholm syndrome yourself into.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I shot a time lapse from the deck of my kayak yesterday. Upstream along the Huron river from Argo Dam to Barton Dam, near sunset. Thanks to youtube's stabilization, it's a lot less quivery than it was, but I still think I'll stick to regular video for the kayak from here on out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_yZsyz9Ek

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I tried taking some panning shots at a roller derby bout last weekend. The trouble with skaters is that, unlike cars, they change shape while they're moving, so the pans have to be pretty short, and still come out kinda crappy.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

With the skaters moving as fast as they do, a little extra depth of field is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hooning?