Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bring back your big hair, TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Both of the jumping catches seem either a touch soft or a bit blurry. How fast were you shooting?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah, looking forward to seeing it.

I need to get into more stuff when my foot heals back up. I've been dying to put my EM1x to work on some sports/action but I lost a fight with an ATV and broke the gently caress out of my ankle a couple months ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There are 7 vastly different expressions in that last picture and all of them are phenomenal lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell drat yeah love panning shots

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd imagine there's a way to disable the touch functions on the screen. That messed with me for a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol this is great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Didn’t see this answered in the op, but x-posting from the general questions thread:

First, are there any good resources — books, blogs, etc — for the tactics of shooting team sports? Not just camera settings, but other advice. Where to locate yourself for a given activity, what to shoot (“two players and a ball”), etc. I know that “knowing the sport” is going to be the most effective, but I’m curious if others have codified any of their learnings. Particularly for soccer.

Second question: I was shooting my sons (U9) soccer game and I noticed I was having real difficulty framing shots because the action was always either moving toward me or away. In some cases I’d be zoomed to 200mm on my X-T3 when the ball would get sent down the pitch toward me (setup on one goal line). The next thing I know I’ve got four shots of a body and 1/3rd of a ball because I didn’t zoom out to 75mm or somesuch. For those who shoot a lot of team sports, short of carrying multiple bodies how do you handle zooming? Do you focus on certain areas for some amount of time, or are you constantly following the action?

Where to place yourself depends on the sport itself, where you're allowed to go, what you've got with you, etc. Where you can go and what you can do in a youth or high school event is going to be wildly different from college or pro settings.

Soccer is a massive field, one of the biggest in mainstream sports, which means you're going to need reach on reach. Helps a bit that your son's young so i'm sure it's not a full size field. You're going to have to keep zooming as the game goes, tracking the action and firing when you have something that fills the frame well, or is a good moment you think you can crop later.

BRW20154 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

This is on the long end of my 40-150mm f/2.8, I'm on the sideline probably about 25 yards from the end line.

BRW20169 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Same position, zoomed out to 95mm. The whole time in both shots I know I need to get full bodies since the ball is almost always on or near the ground. Fill the frame, make sure you've got faces, fire away.

If you've got a prime, you're going to need to be patient. This was in some steady to driving rain, so swapping lenses wasn't going to happen. On the other hand, I've got a shitload of reach, and a sport where the ball is largely held around waist to shoulder level, so I don't need to get the full bodies of the players in the shots.Long as you can clearly tell what's happening, it works.

BRW90013 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90318 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90473 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

If you're on a zoom lens, there's really no reason you shouldn't be constantly ready to change the zoom of your shot in most sports. The really great moments can happen in a flash, and you've got to do what you can to make your life a little easier by keeping track of the action, knowing your speed and aperture are set right, and going on the fastest burst mode available.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah backgrounds are really important. If you don't have a fast aperture lens, then you really need to consider what's on the other side of the field from you. Cars, team benches, etc.

00000019 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

If this wasn't at f/2.8, it'd be a total mess. Heck, it still kind of is, but part of that is the film just going :pcgaming: HOLY poo poo COLOR :pcgaming: and the scan not being great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that tube relay is fantastic

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Freezing human movement, even kid movement, pretty much needs a shutter speed of 1/400 or faster. If memory serves, futsal is purely indoors which means you're likely dealing with florescent lights, which are going to flicker, meaning you'll get both over and under exposed shots and not realize it until you see them later.

Crank your ISO for one, and yeah you're going to need a lens faster than an f/3.5. Indoor sports asks the world of any camera and lens, whether it's a consumer body or something really high-end. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, i'd just enjoy the game and maybe get some video on your phone or camera every so often. Getting the body and lens combo you're going to need to get decent photos is going to cost a LOT and whether or not that's worth it for photos of your kid is your own decision, but be aware.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Meghan_Ottolini/status/1198787830551629824

fabulous shot from last night's pats/cowboys game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

you're going to be asking a LOT of any point-and-shoot for wrestling photos from the stands, FYI.

If you've got other uses for the camera in your travels, then go to town, but I feel like you're throwing good money after bad if all you want it for is the wrestling photos.

E: I don't mean to poo poo on your idea or anything, I just don't want to see you drop the money and then be disappointed in what you get. Most lighting setups for wrestling/boxing are really rough for even the highest-end camera bodies held by the photographers right up against the ring, to say nothing of the people in the stands. Those pocketable P&S cameras are still plenty nice to have for other travel shots though, so if you've got other sights to see, I think you'll enjoy it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 2, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a cat youtube posted:

I’ll be at some very small Venues up close too but this will just be a general travel camera as well. Some thing I could put in my pocket on the go.

Then yeah go to town! It'll still be hit and miss in the smaller venues but as an overall travel camera those are all good options

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grats on the kid, Frink :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

So I entered the "picture of the year"-competition held by the Press photographers association here in Norway. I don't think I stand a chance against the professional photographers, but it is fun to try!

Hell yeah bud, best of luck. :toot:

Which shot did you submit?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell yeah those rule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Fuji question for y'all: I shot my son's soccer scrimmage yesterday and got a few keepers, but also quite a few (maybe 80%) slightly out-of-focus images. Settings on my X-T3 + 55-200 were:

Burst mode: CH (11fps)
C-AF
Zone AF, Five dots wide
C-AF custom setting: 5
face/head detection off.
jpeg
Shutter 1/1000, auto ISO, auto aperture

If I'm going to run my lens wide open, should I switch to single point AF and focus on the player I'm trying to capture? Any other settings that seem wildly out of line?

Set it single point and try to focus directly on the player you're targeting. Bear in mind you're still going to miss some because even little kid soccer still makes life tough on cameras.

You're also depending on both the speed of the body to focus and the speed of the lens to adjust to it.

You won't get all keepers but it should help. Remember, two faces and a ball.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 3, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

So I went ahead and got me a used Canon 400 mm f2.8L (not IS).

Think I'm ready for the season to start (if I'm lucky enough to get in).

oh man that's gonna rule

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

Ask a Cardiff City fan.

Lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

today in photographers who should just wrap it up and call it a career because they took a picture they will never top:

https://twitter.com/JeffAshton_/status/1323290917873201152

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

some awesome photos in this article about Geoff Winningham's photos of wrestling events in the Sam Houston Coliseum in the 1970s

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/vanessajang/status/1349614472483143686

someone 'hired' their kid with a DSLR and kit lens, holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well the NHL said they're predicting to lose over a billion dollars playing this season so they gotta make that up somewhere.

This is eugene melnyk we're talking about. Frankly I'm surprised he didn't just tell someone to snap a few shots on their cell phone.

Hell, if he had, they would have turned out better

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is "picture of the year" the actual outlet or who is this for?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You pan really well in those first few pictures, I'm not big on the one with the crowd's backs all to you but overall it's a good group

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/sethrorabaugh/status/1400302096877080579?s=21

Phenomenal shot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

That’s framed almost exactly like an enormous Renaissance painting

lol drat it really is

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm on my first sports assignment* in what feels like years this weekend hell yeah let's gooooooo :toot:

*my niece's youth travel softball team

Is a 300mm f/4 overkill for youth sports? Bet your rear end it is. Am I gonna use it anyway and bring both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters?

Bet your rear end I am :radcat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah, good to see you back

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man that indoor field looks miserable to shoot at

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rain photoooossss :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007