Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Got in on tickets and potentially a sideline pass for OSU/Colorado. Anyone who's been to a game at OSU, are they sticklers about cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Got in on tickets and potentially a sideline pass for OSU/Colorado. Anyone who's been to a game at OSU, are they sticklers about cameras?

Apparently yes they are. Nothing over 100mm is allowed, and they gave my OM-1 a pretty good lookover to be sure of it. still, lot less stupid than Michigan. Between OSU/Colorado and Cincinnati/NC State, I have 7 rolls being developed. I'm sure this will be nice and inexpensive :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're all pretty good but the shoe-tying one is kind of wrecked with the red player. I'd absolutely crop him out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

F/16 FOOTBAW

Florescent lights do some interesting things to film. Probably not very surprising but yeah, makes a hell of a blue/green tint.

Also this is why you should always point cameras at student sections. They will notice you, and they will go crazy. It's seriously a law or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

More like this?

Hasle/Løren - Skeid by azathosk, on Flickr

Bingo :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So hey I still shoot digital once in a while :v:

This last one was all kinds of goofy from the lights, but I like it for some reason, noise and all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

This is adorable :buddy:

Also the band's uniforms are great :v:

BobTheCow posted:

This is pretty slick right here. You can probably crop it in from the left and still be fine (hell, almost to the background player's shoulder) but it's a very cool moment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh you guys are going to love it. :suicide:

If you have any glass at f/4 or slower, don't bother taking it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Which focal lengths do you guys use for shooting icehockey?

I have a 50-200 that almost never comes off for a hockey game. Or most of my sports for that matter. I have a 30mm f/1.4 that works pretty well to get coaches and players if I'm on the bench with them.

Cow, that shot of #462 owns.

Miamikid I still hate you for getting access to goddamn Nationwide and Cady :mad:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

European hockey jerseys are :pcgaming: as gently caress and I love them. Your first and 4th ones are great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kerrow posted:

Haha thanks.

Well, those white jerseys (my team) are certainly "unique". The ads, not so much.

@MiamiKid: thanks

Who was the Thrashers Jets prospect playing goal?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got sideline access to the hottest athletic event in the country.

That's right, bitches.

CYO 4th grade soccer :frogc00l:

A coworker asked me to get some of her son, hey why not?

Are those second ones above and below too green? My W/B was having a bitch of a time on a few of these.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Here are a couple others from the same shoot that hopefully suck slightly less.

cornershot by beazty327, on Flickr
Here I just wish I hadn't missed the rest of the player's foot:

stretch volley by beazty327, on Flickr

The top one is very nice. 2nd one is a good moment but it can do with a very generous crop from the top and bottom.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there's a shred of blue but it's really not a problem. They're great shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

IMG_2380s by AshBurrows, on Flickr

God drat I am really loving the wide-angle drifting shots. You couldn't have timed that much better.

Sevn posted:

DSC_8500 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I like this one a little.

Hell yes blurry slapshots rule :hfive:. If you want to get good practice on your timing, shoot them during warmups when they're all blasting away from the blue line like this:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

And, finally, here is the

These both own really hard. That Eric Page stretch is pretty slick too.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 2, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah hockey :getin:

I need to use something better than GIMP for noise. God drat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus christ western who approved that helmet design? :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well I had a fun weekend :q:

Rest of them soon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hello thread, I haven't abandoned you!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Robert DX that calendar cover is fantastic.

EDIT:

A5H posted:

Here is a bike I shot at 180mph for some content:

180 by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Probably my favourite ever pan.

Holy poo poo I missed this. God drat this is awesome.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 28, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Vålerenga - Stabæk by azathosk, on Flickr

This is hysterical with the ball cropped out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve my new E-5. Let's take a look at how rough the E-30 sometimes performed at ISO 2000, with only white balance corrected in post:

Yeesh. :stare:

Now let's look at the new E-5. Everything here has only been corrected for W/B, and aside from the last picture, is all at ISO 2000 or 2500. The same lens was used in both and these are all taken at the same arena.

:toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

I went to a football game, too! :v:

You lucky SOB, how was the NFL sideline?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kerrow posted:

gently caress you, ref :argh:

IMG_6970-5 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

haha oh man I have had so many of those moments

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That gold helmet is awesome. Is that like some of those leagues that give a top scorer a different jersey? That poo poo is hilarious.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Espen "Shampo" Knutsen as manager

HA! That rules

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Those expressions are killing me :laugh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, D3 sports are pretty goofy all around.

Having spent 2 years at D-III College of Wooster... they are better :c00lbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Window light is the best light. :colbert:

God drat that's great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

And buy a helmet just in case. :v:

Man, this is truth. I got missed last night by 6" at the most. Also I was testing out what I could shoot with a 7-14mm in a hockey game.

No I haven't gone mad, why do you ask? :downs: (Pictures inbound)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

(Pictures inbound)

And here we go. Trying to concentrate on cutting out a lot more pictures and only keeping the really good ones.

P1288826 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288927 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288926 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288979 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

P1288981 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Exasperated coaches are always fun.

P1289034 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Bet you can't guess which one scored the OT goal. :v:
How he wound up being the only one sharp is beyond me.

E: Also I cannot recommend enough that you go out and buy a pair of knee pads with gel in them. They're like $25-35 at any hardware store and are amazing if you're kneeling for a while.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 30, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes even the holes in the glass are dangerous

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I also shot my first hockey game. It... didn't go well. This was the only decent frame, and even then, I've had to wrestle with levels and colors. Still not totally happy.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US :q:

E: What metering are you using? I'm usually spot or center in hockey games. If you can't W/B off a jersey, taking W/B off the ice won't be perfect but it'll give you something to work with.

E2: And welcome to the frustrating rage you'll feel when shooting black jerseys. :(:respek::(

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God I always love flexed-stick shots. Got lucky as hell with this timing. :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

The first one is messing with me like crazy. :psyduck:

The 2nd one owns really hard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

loving :lol: at that av

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Shot the conference championship for the paper yesterday. Local university, with a new coach, wins conference at home, so I expected it to get decent play. But instead, Daytona NOT HAPPENING was the huge front page spread. Lame.

Anyway, a few of my favorites:

The first one here has a hilarious expression and I love it. The one of coach and his kids is just adorable too. :unsmith:

Third one is pretty clever. I need to try that sometime. :cool:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That girl's face being framed in her racquet is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They aren't bad but they all look snap-shotty. You pretty much either need to be right against the apron or somehow above the level of the ropes because they're really blocking a lot of the action and sometimes it looks like your camera's focus found them instead of the boxers. In the same way that the rule of thumb in sports is "two players and a ball", you might want to think of filling your frame with "two boxers and a punch". Ideally you'd be standing at ground level, against the apron. This puts you below the fighters, and close enough to shoot through the ropes like the shot I linked. It takes the ropes out of your shots and the lower perspective makes the fighters look bigger. If you're further away, I'd also change the metering to center or spot.

In terms of more of the technical stuff, 1/200 is probably a bit too slow to be capturing punches. Obviously it's got to be tough shooting in what looks like a very dim gymnasium. From your EXIF data, your lens is an f/4.0. Do you have anything faster? That would help in spades.

You're capturing good moments but the ropes are hurting you, and I would toss the 2nd in part because of the backs of peoples' heads in the shot. I know I'm sounding like a dick in this and I don't intend to :( Any indoor sports can be miserable to shoot. Especially ones with really quick action like this.