Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Didn’t see this answered in the op, but x-posting from the general questions thread:

First, are there any good resources — books, blogs, etc — for the tactics of shooting team sports? Not just camera settings, but other advice. Where to locate yourself for a given activity, what to shoot (“two players and a ball”), etc. I know that “knowing the sport” is going to be the most effective, but I’m curious if others have codified any of their learnings. Particularly for soccer.

Second question: I was shooting my sons (U9) soccer game and I noticed I was having real difficulty framing shots because the action was always either moving toward me or away. In some cases I’d be zoomed to 200mm on my X-T3 when the ball would get sent down the pitch toward me (setup on one goal line). The next thing I know I’ve got four shots of a body and 1/3rd of a ball because I didn’t zoom out to 75mm or somesuch. For those who shoot a lot of team sports, short of carrying multiple bodies how do you handle zooming? Do you focus on certain areas for some amount of time, or are you constantly following the action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m discovering as I’m looking at these vs my images that my backgrounds are substantially more noisy. Perhaps I need to move to aperture priority mode and also start being aware of what’s behind what I’m shooting.

Thanks for the advice. This is good stuff.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I tried shooting my son’s first futsal game of the season and had some difficulty. Basic settings were f/3.5 or whatever was lowest for the focal length (Fuji 18-55). Set shutter speed to 1/250 and floated the ISO up to 6400 *all JPEG. With the shutter set to continuous high, I was still getting pretty well under-exposed images. Interestingly, the viewfinder showed a proper exposure when I half-pressed the shutter. But when I took the sequence the viewfinder immediately showed under-exposed images coming off the camera.

What are the recommended next steps:

- Send ISO to the moon?
- Use exposure compensation?
- Shoot CL instead of CH? (I don’t know how this would make a difference but asking for completeness’ sake)
- Slower shutter (I’m already getting blurring at 1/250)
- Buy a faster lens

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fuji question for y'all: I shot my son's soccer scrimmage yesterday and got a few keepers, but also quite a few (maybe 80%) slightly out-of-focus images. Settings on my X-T3 + 55-200 were:

Burst mode: CH (11fps)
C-AF
Zone AF, Five dots wide
C-AF custom setting: 5
face/head detection off.
jpeg
Shutter 1/1000, auto ISO, auto aperture

If I'm going to run my lens wide open, should I switch to single point AF and focus on the player I'm trying to capture? Any other settings that seem wildly out of line?