Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
hello long time admirer first time caller

So I've been applying to photography jobs for hobby money during grad school and I've made it to the final interview round as a student sports photographer for the department that runs the gyms, facilitates sports events, and runs recreational sports. As part of it I'll be shooting an event for the Summer orientation stuff in a location I'm pretty familiar with, and I should be getting a shot list either today or tomorrow. It'll be happening July 2.

I've got a GH5 and an EM-1X I bought literally minutes before I got the call back (that I'm about to take birding in a few minutes :getin:), and a glass lineup that covers just about any focal lengths I need, so I'm feeling comfortable gear wise.

All of my experience is with some sort of wildlife photography, so do ya'll have any tips for transitioning to sports? I feel that I have a decent command of lighting and knowing how to keep shutter speeds at appropriate levels to capture action, but this almost seems closer to street or something (i.e. capturing expressions and emotions) after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks for the great advice!

DJExile posted:

What's the sport and what glass do you have on the way or have already?

I'm still waiting on the shot list, but since it's an orientation funsies event I'm assuming there's going to be a few different sports running at the gym. Most likely there will be basketball and volleyball going on, both of which I'm well familiar with, and there might be some carnival style things as well.

The glass I'm planning to bring is a 12-60mm Panaleica, a 100-400 Panaleica, Oly 8mm Fisheye, and a 25mm f/0.95 for if I need to do some outdoors photos since it's at night and I'm unsure of how much extra lighting will be present at the event.

I'm missing the 120-200mm equivalent focal lengths but ehhhh it'll be fine.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Welp they liked my pictures and I've got a final interview on Tuesday. I spoke with their lead student photographer and he was saying 99% of the events save for these ones are all shot in the middle of the day or early afternoon, so the outdoors in street lighting stuff was mostly just a test.

Here are the non posed shots, looking for any critique, especially since I'll be doing this more often now.

The last one had a lot of white space included for text, editorial stuff, articles, etc. Any advice on framing for those purposes?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Soulex posted:

Keep practicing! Dont take this as harsh, its not meant to be!

No worries, this is perfect! Most of the critique I'm getting is pretty soft so this is great.

A lot of them I put up just because it met the requirement on the shot list even if I wasn't particularly happy with the shot, but it should be a good learning experience.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Ok so the interview went well and I gotta fill out some paperwork, but I basically have the job. Remember how I said I didn't really get any critical feedback on the pics? Turns out none of the permanent professional staff in the communications division has any photography or videography experience, it's all marketing and graphic design. They're super nice folks though, but that means I basically need to rely on the two senior photo/video folks and you all for critiques.

tl;dr im gonna be shittin up this thread real bad because I need to improve

Also it's all project assignment based, with all the projects mapped out a month in advance, so I'll be like some weird underpayed independent contractor. I'm going to get to do some video b-roll work, but probably won't be doing any editing unless it's an emergency.

The cool part is that nobody, even on the scholarship sports side, has come through with underwater gear like what I have, so I'm going to get to do some really cool shoots with all the water clubs.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
so uh I learned about competitive log rolling today while shooting an event, also I'm now "that guy with the underwater camera" on the staff. Also happy to finally escape Facilities B-Roll Hell and start doing the stuff I got on for.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
thanks! Log rolling was very cool and I want to shoot more of it. I'll be the aquatics guy I guess so at least I'll have access to all of that.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to a dude with a 1DX who's getting his masters in photojournalism and has been shooting longer than I've owned even a gopro but having a hit rate like 1/4th of your coworker feels bad man :smith:

I do have some questions though, how do you deal with the lovely gloss wood laminate floors in indoors arenas? We have a large one here and I'm having a lot of trouble with three things: 1) reflection from the floors give a gross yellow underlight to anyone standing on them, 2) using a flash makes people look like cellulite monsters because of the striped reflection pattern, 3) the lights in there have a lot of dead time in between strobes and some weird colors, so high shutter speeds can be lit very strangely even with anti-flicker features on my camera.

I can desaturate yellow hues in post a little bit, which helps, but I'd prefer to know a good way to deal with it other than in post.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I even tried it was because it was a group exercise thing and not a match of any kind, but yeah, I'll avoid it in the future. I might go in there and mess around with a CPL the next time the lights are on and see if that helps at all.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
love those tiny cars :3:

DJExile posted:

There are 7 vastly different expressions in that last picture and all of them are phenomenal lol

The goalie looks so pained you'd think someone just broke his legs lol

I just shot my first soccer/football match for our women's club on Saturday and feel like a clown, though everyone's happy with how the pics came out so I guess that's ok. A couple of things I noticed:

1) I feel like with a lot of the things I'm shooting, there aren't really as many interesting facial expressions because everyone's so focused on actual execution of what they're doing because nothing's especially automatic for them yet. I feel like it's hard for me to cull pictures because everything I shoot is hot garbage because there aren't as many stand out moments for the players.

2) Shooting in 114 F/45.5 C heat in the middle of a cloudless day was ridiculous and almost every shot suffered a bit from heat haze.

3) Had the match not wound up one-sided right before the end of the first half, I would have had an awful time positioning since I was working by myself. Most of the away team was dying due to heat and we had a huge bench so I just parked myself near the opposing team's goal in the last quarter and that worked out. It's a big field and it's obviously not feasible to chase everyone around, but is there anything I can do besides be patient and try to work one area/angle every few minutes?

I feel like working random gigs as a staff photographer means I'm not going to get proficient at any one thing any time soon, but I guess the bar is low and it gives me a lot of opportunities to learn and shoot stuff I wouldn't have an opportunity to do otherwise.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Just got back from shooting my first swim meet, it was a super fun intermurals event so there were some crazy fuckaround things like a tube relay happening. I just got done culling things, I just had a few I pulled off my fuji that I don't want to touch. It's pretty amazing how much less effort shooting an event feels when it's you're extremely familiar with.

Men's relay was last and was the only really competitive part.

I need to process all of it tomorrow, I did a lot of stuff with drat near shoving my EM-1X and oly 8mm fisheye in the pool but those are definitely not hot SOOC.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Tube relay was probably my favorite, especially since I didn't know it was happening and was super confused at first.

XBenedict posted:

How much did you crop this? I can't believe that's from a 56mm and you weren't standing in the pool...

That's the whole frame and SOOC, I didn't touch it at all, I just got lucky with that one. I was standing on the edge of the pool, the 56mm has 80mm equivalent fov so that's how I had the extra reach.

These ones were all on the 8mm fisheye, these were super close and I was just at the edge and hanging my camera over. I was in the splash zone for most of it so I was pretty wet by the end of this. Our lead photographer had all the nice rectilinear lenses for his 1DX so I ran around with that just so we had a little more variety in photos for the department.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Yeah this was at the Texas Swim Center, it's a super nice facility. I actually learned to dive there a long time ago when the scuba program still existed.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oh yeah I've met him before, if I weren't in Dallas most weekends I would have been at the last one. He's one of the actual sports department photographers though, we're all like pseudo-contractors in the RecSports department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Buy a faster and longer lens, pretty much.