Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BobTheCow posted:

I'm definitely rusty coming off a lazy summer, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things these next few months.

I've got a new body, and a race to shoot this weekend, I am definitely feeling nervous right about now, but I am sure it will pass, and I will have a blast. I just hope I have some good pictures to show for it in a few days time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_2879 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Hi guys, mind if I park my bike here? :P

drat, I wish it wasn't blurry :(

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BobTheCow posted:

Hold down the button to focus the whole time.

I tried it before, and quickly gave it up. My hand felt way too awkward trying to hold it like that and hit the shutter at the same time, and I felt like I had no control over the dials.

Do I just not know how to hold it properly?

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BobTheCow posted:

That's why I don't advocate back-button focus for everybody, it's just a personal preference thing. For me, it feels comfortable now, and it's not like you're adjusting settings at the same moment you're focusing, preparing for a shot, anyway.

I should give it another chance, I was a little quick to ditch it last time. I would love to see a picture of how your hand, or anybody else for that matter, rests on the camera, on the back button and shutter.

Edit: There have been a few instances where I have tweaked dials while I had one eye in the viewfinder. Not saying it happens every time I get ready to shoot a picture, but there has definitely been a time or two I wanted to tweak it just a bit before shooting.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 9, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BobTheCow posted:

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's pretty difficult to take a photo of myself essentially taking a photo.

Does this help?

Yep. I think the problem I was having was two-fold. First I was trying to on a small body, so my hand didn't have much room. Second problem was I broke my hand not too long ago, and that position would cause it to cramp up. Just tried it again on my D7000, which has a much bigger frame than my old camera. Feels much better, thanks!

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I might be shooting a hockey game on Sunday, which might even be a regular paying gig. Problem is, I have never shot a hockey game, this is just an opportunity that fell into my lap and I don't want to turn it down.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

(I was told I might also have unrestricted access to anywhere, including benches)

I have a D7000, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8, 18-55 kit lens, cheap 55-200 (with VR) and 20mm 2.8. One of the hockey players told me they have a big camera with a big lens that can take many pictures (his words) that the stadium lets the photographer use, but who knows what that might be.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 13, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

What type of arena is it? Is it a well lit professional deal, or a dinky local rink?

Because if it's a dinky local rink, be prepared to have nowhere near enough light to freeze action. You're going to be cranking up your ISO.

What lens do you suggest? It is in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan, so it might not be too small. It is definitely not pro hockey, but being in the largest city here, and one of the only pro stadiums, I think the lighting MIGHT be ok.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

Hockey rinks are pretty small.. set up in the corner and your 200mm could easily capture action at the other end of the rink. However, when the action gets close, you'll want the wider angle stuff.

So I'd probably lean towards the 18-55 and 55-200. Maybe take the 35mm 1.8 lense if lighting turns out to be an issue?

Well, I have been looking at photos from their stuff, and if the camera they loan out is the one that took all the pictures from their website, it is a 1dsmkII...... with an L lens, 70-200 2.8 I believe.

Found that stadium too, looks pretty drat well lit. Here's to hoping this is my golden opportunity :D

Edit: There is a pretty great chance that I found the wrong user in my haphazard search of Flickr, but my D7000 should suffice either way, and will give me reason to upgrade to a 70-300 at least.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 13, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

You rang? :v:

Short version: Using anything slower than f/4 is pretty much useless. If it's a decently lit rink, that will help in spades.

Do anything you can to get in the corner. Ideally, the glass will have portals cut into them made just for photographers. Shooting from the bench gets you some faceoffs, any shots of the coaches, and not a lot else, since action in either zone will involve players looking away from you. Plus benches are obviously crowded.

I'd leave the 20mm at home, and maybe the 35 as well. If lighting is that bad, neither of those will get you anywhere near the action anyways. The 18-55 is probably also useless unless you want a wide shot somewhere.

You'll probably want center or spot metering as hockey rinks are surrounded by dark seats and shadowed areas that won't help the player stand out.

I've got a much bigger hockey write-up in the OP if that helps too.

E: Almost forgot, W/B off the ice or (ideally) a white jersey. Auto will not work.

Thanks! I will find your original post, does it have info about the 70-300 for Nikon? A little slow but can't I just push the ISO up on the D7000? It seems to handle it like a champ.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

Pushing ISO will help shutter speed (you're going to want whatever gives you 1/320 at the very least), but it won't help your focus speed, which is critical in hockey. I shoot Olympus so I can't really tell you about Nikon's 70-300, sorry :shobon:

Thanks, your advice is definitely helpful. My D7000 focuses pretty quick with my 55-200, and the 70-300 will be a step up. I think if I start getting paid, I will buy it for sure, or I might do it anyways because I can always use it at the motorcycle track.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

If this is the case then yeah, that will help. The tough thing is you're just not going to be certain on a few things until you actually get there to find out what the lighting, positioning, etc, will be like for you. I'd arrive as early as you can and get some shots while teams are warming up. That'll help you figure out settings pretty quick.

As always, thanks for the advice! If what my friend told me is anything to go by, he said I would have control to go anywhere I wanted. I think I will take a few of my lenses this weekend and get a feel for it, try to meet the people who do the hiring, and then see if I need to jump on the 70-300 as soon as possible.

Thanks for the advice guys, I hope to post some pictures after this next weekend.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

Ask if they have portals cut in the glass at the corners, because you do not want to try shooting through plexiglass.

I have been looking at shots from the rink, and it looks like there is because their shots are pretty clear. He also said I could go to the 2nd tier and shot from there if I wanted, not sure how good that would be though.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

azathosk posted:

More like this?

Hasle/Løren - Skeid by azathosk, on Flickr

And I too want to take pictures at a large stadium filled to the max.

Much much much better!

DSC_6898 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Wish I had a better lens for this :( Luckily D7000 has awesome ISO.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

I have a 50-200 that almost never comes off for a hockey game. Or most of my sports for that matter. I have a 30mm f/1.4 that works pretty well to get coaches and players if I'm on the bench with them.

Cow, that shot of #462 owns.

Miamikid I still hate you for getting access to goddamn Nationwide and Cady :mad:

I have a 55-200 that never comes off during the hockey games, and it frustrates me enough that I am upgrading to a 70-200 because of it lol.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I shot a hockey game also. Definitely loving my 80-200.

DSC_8548 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8549 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

azathosk posted:

Absolutely loving those hockeyshots.

I would try to crop the first picture - put more focus on the goalie and the puck.

I did think about cropping the first picture, but I can't crop it without leaving cut off body parts in the frame. I also thought the guys around the goalie added a little bit to the scene.

Still getting used to shooting hockey though. I grew up in Texas and never saw an ice-rink the whole time I was growing up, much less actually play hockey haha.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8500 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I like this one a little.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nor have I!

DSC_2033 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_2026 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1938 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_1701 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Scooter racing is pretty intense here, and those scooters are no joke.

This was actually a 90 minute team endurance race (or you could race alone if you were crazy enough)

DSC_1673 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Her and her partner got 1st place in their division, though she had a nasty crash and actually had to sit it out for 20-30 laps. Her crash was pretty bad actually, I am surprised she ended up riding again. She got pushed into a barrier but the way she crashed caused her body to be completely stuck pinned down. She had to be driven off the track.

Here is a winner from the motorcycle division (Which was racing at the same time as the scooters)

DSC_1637 by DarSevn, on Flickr

And here is a scooter that I barely missed crashing. He crashed so hard it tore his helmet off, and he was barely out of the way when 2 other guys crashed into his scooter.

DSC_1722 by DarSevn, on Flickr

All in all, there were at least 10 crashes, one guy was taken off in the ambulance, and the race was red flagged 4 or 5 times. Oh, this was all on a go-kart track, with 30+ scooters and motorcycles.

Sevn fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 27, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wish I had a better computer so I could edit more pictures faster (as it is, I rarely edit them to begin with).

DSC_1883 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Untitled-1 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Pretty sure the border on this is not even, I'll redo it one of these days. (or maybe I should say the crop?)

Sevn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 1, 2011

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Trying to push my limits in panning, otherwise I am getting a little bored with it.

DSC_2437 by DarSevn, on Flickr

This is 1/30s @155mm, f20.

Not sure how that lens performs at f20 and I have better pictures from the race, this is just the only one I edited, so far.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xzzy posted:

Your panning looks good, though it does look a little overexposed to me as well.

I've gotten pretty bored with the bog standard "panning race shot" myself. These shots are good for making a few bucks because those are the pictures that drivers/riders will want, but they're pretty terrible for capturing the "feel" of a race.

I think the solution is to hunt for new angles and backgrounds, though it's hard because race tracks aren't chosen for their scenery. All my favorite panning shots from other photographers have something awesome in the background.

You guys are both right, it is a bit over exposed, my fault for editing it so quick. I didn't like these races because my friend crashed on the 1st lap haha. I also got harassed a bit by the new track people. Just wasn't feeling it too much, so I handed my camera off and actually watched the race from the inside of the track.

I'll get one of those single digit pans, I just don't wanna spend the whole race trying to get one and discarding all of the blurry shots haha.

Edit: The big reason I mentioned the staff hassling me was because I meant to say that it threw me into a far worse spot than I would have chosen otherwise.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nummy posted:

Oy. Clean that sensor!

(Mine is probably worse. :3: )

Gonna get around to that next time I am in the states. Don't know where to get it done here, and I don't trust a lot of the shops anyways :(

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_3542 by DarSevn, on Flickr

I am not really that good at shooting hockey, and there aren't any good spots in this arena to shoot from :(

On the bright side (pun?) they fixed the lights and I can shoot at ISO 800 instead of 4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psylent posted:

I don't usually shoot sports, but I've started a running group in my town and we had an event today. I found that I missed focus on a lot of my shots.

Any tips for shooting/focusing on people running right at me?

Which camera are you using? Which lens? How fast are they moving? My D7000 + 80-200 2.8 handles motorcycles coming towards me quite well, and it wasn't too shabby with the 55-200 kit lens either. If you are on Nikon, put it on AF-C. On my D7000 you can change how fast it refocuses in continuous mode, which helps a lot.