Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I shoot rugby

IMG_7268 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7145-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Ivan by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6719 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6714 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6709 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6679 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Through the pack by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7125-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Ready to go by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Scrum by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_7163-Edit2 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
drat, I was planning to context-aware fill that person out in the background. Would that add to the impact/central focus of the shot?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Trambopaline posted:

Kickoff by trambopaline, on Flickr

Actually I might like the kickoff photo just a little more, I dunno.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still throwing away tons due to missed focus or just plain and simple derpface from the players though. I have to say, this may very well be the start of a crippling addiction to high speed gear and sports photography.

This is good, did you crop? Everyone is in the frame, which is a massive bonus. Having half a player in the frame on the edge in the background is always annoying with rugby/touch/league/oval ball running sports.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

dakana posted:

S-s-s-s-s-s-season opener.

Awesome shot man, I love this one. What post did you do?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Great photos there dakana. The last one = noise though :D

Not my shot, but something awesome from a sport I enjoy watching and following - cricket. It's Umar Gul, a Pakistani quick bowler, from a test match against Sri Lanka in the UAE at the moment. Normally a lot of cricket shots are the frozen-frame action shots, good with great focusing and ultra-sharp, but no real experimentation like panning. This one breaks the mould, and fits well as Gul is a fast bowler who gets quite fired up when he's doing well.

Enough wank from me

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

dakana posted:

Thanks! Do you mean "= noise" as in it's noisy? It's reaaaaaally tough to shoot in that stadium because the only lighting on the sides, so the endzones are black holes. Even in the middle of the field it's 1/500, 2.8, ISO 3200. Since I'm stuck with my 70-200 f/4 on my Canon camera, it's ISO 6400 in the end zone, and even that is pretty dark if they aren't facing the sidelines, so I often boost it in post up past that. So a lot of times I'm forced with shooting at an effective ISO 12,800 with a camera whose hardware only takes it up to 3200. My poor 1D3... I really need to upgrade to the 2.8. Glass before body, kids :(

Yes, the noise in the crowd and the sky, although that's alright really. Do you do any reduction in post? Nik Define is amazing for noise reduction, it's definitely saved me a lot in basketball games when I had to shoot with my 55-250mm before I got my nifty fifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Buceph posted:

Any Euros, Saffas, Kiwis or Aussies ever shoot rugby? I got a 70-200mm f2.8 today, and I'm hoping on a crop body Nikon it'll be good enough for daylight shots. What will my reach be like on that? I'm guessing I'd probably need a 300mm to properly shoot from behind the dead-ball line, or I could shoot from there and get anything inside the 22 roughly in front of me.

I'm a rugby fan, so I'm familiar with the kind of shots pro togs go for, and I figure that might help me a little (also any advice you may offer can be put in rugby terms.) Any advice before I start approaching clubs to let me shoot their games?

I'm a Kiwi who has shot quite a bit of rugby. Very jealous of you having a 70-200mm f2.8, when I was shooting I had to make do with a puny 55-250mm!

200mm on the dead ball line should be pretty good, often you'll find you need to zoom out when they get close for a try obviously. I also found that shooting down the field (as you will be when shooting from the dead-ball line), since there's 31 people on the field it will be quite difficult to isolate the players you want in your shots, as others will run in front of them etc.