Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Hey Dorkroomers, I'm a lurker since about five years who decided to finally get an account when I realised I wouldn't want any other internet people judging my amateurish and mediocre photos!

I've been lucky enough to get to shoot a lot of australian football in the last year (although I'm not in Australia). It's an exciting and very, very fast game which makes it lots of fun but also challenging to shoot. I'm constantly striving to take better pictures, especially because hardly anyone else has the time/inclination to photograph this particular team so I feel I really need to be at my best at all times. At the moment I'm making do with a Canon 400D and the 55-250mm f/4-5.6 but I'm thinking of renting something longer and faster lens-wise for the next game, just to see what I can do with that. Limits of my current set-up include a maximum ISO of 1600, a maximum aperture of 5.6, unreliable auto-focusing (I suspect this is both lens and body working together) and a range that's a bit on the short side given how huge the field is. Otherwise, all flaws are entirely my fault! I know I have a long way to go still before I produce work that is genuinely good, but I'm enjoying the learning process. All that said, here are some shots I'm pleased with:

From national games:

IMG_1238 by Norrskensren

IMG_1135-2 by Norrskensren

IMG_3297 by Norrskensren

IMG_5910-1 by Norrskensren

IMG_5122 by Norrskensren

IMG_5434 by Norrskensren

IMG_6541 by Norrskensren

IMG_6565 by Norrskensren

IMG_6609 by Norrskensren

DSC_0586 by Norrskensren

IMG_6765 by Norrskensren

IMG_6360 by Norrskensren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

anabatica posted:

I'm not a sports photo person but I like these. A lot of shots of amateur sports have empty stands and such in the background which I think looks terrible (though I realize is often unavoidable), but these have nice trees and such instead which improves them tremendously I think. Your colours are good, framing is tight enough, etc. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot! :) It's really nice to get some input on the photos, especially since I've spent so much time working with them I don't really "see" them anymore. The boys in the team always seem appreciative, but I'm usually never sure if I should just chalk that up to them enjoying the fact that they have pictures of themselves playing.

I think this team is also aesthetically lucky with their fields - they haven't been able to get the use of any "proper" sports arena so local games are played in a park (lots of lovely trees) and national games on a field by the Olympiastadion (pompous Nazi architecture).

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Hey, the local paper of the capital isn't bad exposure at all, well done! How did you go about it, did you approach the paper with a story or was it the other way around?

I shot some jocks last weekend, and was able to borrow a 7D and a 70-300L from work for the occasion. It was like a religious experience after shooting sports almost exclusively with a 400D/55-250mm combo. Somehow I accidentally switched it into P mode during the game and ended up with almost an entire quarter shot with less than ideal shutter speeds, ruining some potentially good shots :(

IMG_1345 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1791 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1814 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1834 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1901 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1933 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_1594 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

I'm not too sure about the processing on this one. I was aiming to bring out the light of the setting sun, but it always ends up looking too red on my screen no matter what I do. The colours look good on an iMac screen, however.

IMG_9928 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

That horse photo is fantastic!

I agree with xzzy that the crop might need to be a teeny tiny bit less tight - I feel that a milimeter or so more of space above the horse's ears and the jockey's helmet would make my eyes rest on the image a bit easier. Otherwise I completely agree with you that tight crops of action are the way to go here. You don't see racing photographed like this often (and then I'm talking mostly about the sports pages here) - it's usually colourful shots of horse and rider or of the entire field and they tend to look very clean and civilised, the raw power tends to get lost.

If you do get the chance, access to the stables would be great. This scene tends to be a lot less glamorous than the winner's circle (bar the luxurious horse buses, although I don't know if that's a thing in Hong Kong since I guess all horses would be stabled at the track...)

You certainly have this old horse-racing fan looking forward to more of your shots :)

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

pkid posted:

I got to play with a decent lens for sports on the weekend and went to a local AFL (aussie rules) game.
I'd love some feedback on the photos in the set.
It's a difficult game to shoot because the field is huge and the play moves incredibly fast. For Americans I would think it would be best to liken it to Lacrosse.

Hey there, fellow aussie rules-shooting buddy! I'll be happy to offer some advice and pointers, though keep in mind that I'm far from a pro and probably heavily prejudiced by my own opinions - and I'm a European at that, so no native knowledge of the sport.

I have some favourites from your set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621483060/in/photostream/ - this is great, the kid really looks like he should be illustrating a text book on kicks, focus is right, composition with the space on the right gives him somewhere to go - I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621494798/in/set-72157630694116416 - fierce dude, good way of showing off the players in other situations than just playing (this is my weakness).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621496502/in/set-72157630694116416/

As far as criticism goes, you should pay attention to your horizons - a lot of them are crooked and it unnecessarily draws attention from the action. Also, keep in mind that seeing faces usually make the images a lot more interesting (and dear god the faces you get to see in this game, magnificent). Generally, I prefer to keep the action parts of the shots in focus, instead of the backs of the people who are watching, but if you could get the onlookers' faces instead, I think you might have something going there. I would also suggest you try not to cut off players' legs or heads and try to fit the full bodies into the shot. I know this isn't always possible (or even desirable, some shots need to be tight) but here, for example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorygibson/7621517900/in/photostream/ - here I'm very curious what's going on with the player on the ground, and zooming out a bit so that he would've fit in I think would've made for a more compelling shot.

Overall, though, good work - you're right that it's a hard sport to shoot. I think you've done well in managing to cut out some of the clutter that's inevitable with so many players on the field.

In case you're wondering "what sort of credentials does this person have anyway", here's a set of some of my sports photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/northern_lights/sets/72157627364220096/with/7031600339/