Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I love shooting race cars.

One Way Woooosh (click image for bigger)

I just do it for fun, and I only get the chance once or twice a year, but I think it's great to be able to take cool photos of cars regardless of the type of camera or lens that you have.

If you have a fast lens, you'll have no problem getting crisp and clean shots of cars going fast, from any angle. If you have a slow lens, you can still take neat longerish-exposure shots to pan and blur the background, or in the example above, make the car look like it's going too fast for your camera. You can also still get sharp shots with a slower lens if you shoot a car (mostly) head-on, since there's not that much lateral movement on the car's part to spoil sharpness.

Street races are the best places to take pictures of race cars. You can get frighteningly close to the cars, and find all sorts of nooks and crannies and high places to take pictures from. This makes it possible to get quality photos from at least somewhere on the track, at some time during the day, no matter the gear you're equipped with.

Oh, and a word about the above photo. I must have taken 60 or so shots to try to get the timing right. (I wasn't using a tripod, I just rested my camera on a concrete pillar.) When I was about ready to wrap up processing, I realized I still had a use for the shots I mistimed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zBT2hj_qw

It took longer than I expected, but it was still a fun way to turn a bunch of bad shots into something neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU