Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

gh0st posted:

I shoot car stuff, which includes sports/race/track/drag events. If anyone has questions about track-oriented techniques like tracking, panning, car to car, etc...hit me up!

I'm going to be snapping some photos at a VW car show later this month and have never done it before. What kind of setup do you generally bring? I bought a circular polarizer filter since it will be during the day shooting.

There will be autocross and drag racing events, so I may use it to try out panning. I have watched some tutorials on youtube and the like. Do you basically get a shutter speed fast enough and follow the car's movement? What kind of focusing do you normally do, like should I try one of the modes that does motion tracking or attempt to get the area where I know the car will be going by in focus first or something else?

Sorry I am a bit new to this hobby, but any tips or know of any good resources online I'd be interested. I haven't done much of any shooting subjects in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Those tips help a bit. So I guess at such a small aperture opening the depth of field is going to be better to begin with.

I know at the place I am going they have stands on both sides of the drag strip, and one has more people on it so that might make for a cool back drop.

I'll have to go out at some point this weekend and sit on a bench and just track some cars going by. Probably will increase my chances of getting a few good shots.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I found some dudes on jet skis over the weekend, but they were too far away and without a zoom I couldn't focus on them. They were just too small for the camera to pick up, and too hard to track.

Still have to practice more but this vid was helpful, along with the tips you guys gave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3ca72W3eM