Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
While my main thing is shooting concerts along with convention/festival coverage over the past year I've also started covering a local theatrical wrestling group (which is run by a few people that are also involved in the music circles I work with). I've noticed there's quite a few parallels between shooting musicians and wrestlers.

IMG_2905 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_3162 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_1698 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_2694 by reverendhammer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Saw a FMX bike show during the local airshow. It makes for some fun pictures, but I'm not sure what I could have done to mix them up a bit.

There's something about the composition here I really like. Something about the rider being in the upper part of the shot communicates the height of the jump. I dig it.

quote:

I like this shot. The only thing I can think of that might help is a little closer cropping but the capture of action is really well done.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

This is pretty cool, and I love that you shot this with the x100t. I just picked one up and I've loved it the handful of times I've used it so far, but I keep forgetting to bring it to sports assignments, I bet it'd be fun.

Nice moment! I frequently struggle to get clean photos of shots/goals that include the goalkeeper. Where do you shoot from? Is this from behind the net or on the sideline?

I love shooting baseball, so an intrasquad scrimmage in the fall (normally a spring sport) was a nice surprise.

Oh wow... I love how this one came out. The shadow obscuring the batter and catcher works well here along with the general composition. This was a really good shot.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The theatrical wrestling group I cover had an event this weekend at a new venue: a brewery that had yet to open to the public (I think they were using this as a trial run for holding events... also I think the organizers are friends with the brewery owners). The lighting was distinctly different compared to the previous venue but I was able to make it work in most cases. This time around I'm a lot happier with the framing of images. Makes things far more dramatic IMO.

IMG_9327 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr
IMG_0357 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr
IMG_1094 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr
IMG_1620 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr
IMG_1393 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr
IMG_9994 by Rob Swackhamer, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think your camera got set to deep dream mode on this one, bruh

Actually knowing the people behind this group I wouldn't be surprised if that was inspiration.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is dope, but I think it would have been better if the woman's face was in focus rather than the dude in the foreground. Great moment, though.

There's a few others in the set where there was more focus on the person on the other side of the ring. I think that's why I liked this one so much because it was the opposite.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So I had my first "occupational hazard" moment while covering the most recent Party World Rasslin' event this past weekend. Dan "The Man" Ziggler was thrown into the corner where I was shooting but he ended having more momentum in the landing than I was expecting. His foot ended up coming over the rope and hit my camera. Didn't do anything to myself or the camera (didn't hurt and was more surprised than anything... he glanced at me as he got up and I flashed him a thumbs up to show I was OK). The contact did end causing me to snap a pic though. :)

Even with that I still had a ton of fun shooting this event. A visit from Slamta Claus, a balding dad getting challenged by a puppet, a robot from the future trying to retrieve the brain of someone she loves, a guardian being revived from being trapped in ice for 200 years, and a six man rumble to determine a new champion.

IMG_3114 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_7887 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_3485 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_4592 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_2268 by reverendhammer, on Flickr
IMG_7922 by reverendhammer, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So I recently had another first: Texas Monthly had an article about the wrestling group I help cover and they wanted to use one of my photos for the article. Was a bit surprised by the image they wanted to use but hey... got paid for use of the image and attribution. I'm cool with that.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/party-world-rasslin-keeps-it-weird-in-austin/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Holy poo poo dude... this photo is amazing.

I really need to get back into shooting sports somehow. I exited out of the wrestling group I was working with for a number of reasons. But I miss shooting stuff where I didn't know how things would play out. Need to get back into keeping those skills sharp.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Holy hell I love this shot.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I am lovin' the hell out of this pic.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

I've been pretty busy

There's a few that seem a bit overexposed (4, 5, and 7) but I'm digging your shot choices and composition.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

Two things happened this weekend. I was recognized by the person who lets me volunteer to begin with for the hard work and dedication. I was also asked to take head shots and a group photo for the cheer team. This was two separate incidents from two different people. I've never done anything like this but I'm more than confident I can handle it. After making sure I don't step on any toes. I haven't considered about charging for my services which is still fine, I just don't want to interfere with the people who's job's it is to actually do this. I'm just volunteering.

As someone who's had moments like that... all I can say is JUST GO loving DO. If people like you doing you just go for it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

The good news, I’ve been apparently impressing people. I saw some video work this woman does (I thought she was a student, but she works for he Athletics Department) and wanted to tell her how much I liked it. We got to talking and she invited me out to rowing. Like on a boat rowing. She also said she was the only one to do video, so I told her to hit me up since I had experience. She’s got talent, and passion. She thought my photos were the contractor I’ve been talking to’s.

The school newspaper sounds like it wants to use me regularly for sports, which is great. Better is one of my professors wrote me a really nice email about my photos:

He has a PhD in Communications and knows a bunch about the semiotic side of communication, which is what I really want to get into. This is honestly one of the coolest things I’ve read though.

My desire to have people bond and connect through photographs has done so in ways I never anticipated. I never thought he would forge a bond with students, no one bit their families.

This is the feeling I’m chasing, and I hope money comes along eventually.

azathosk posted:

So I got published in two articles in the latest Josimar (Norways only football magazine), sold three pictures to Vålerenga Football and got hired as a photographer for Eurosport/Discovery on Monday.

This went very fast ahead.

Holy poo poo you guys... that's pretty loving awesome.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

azathosk posted:

So I've been doing some sportsphotography the few weeks.

Haven't had time to post, so I'm doing it now. Good to back into shooting something else than friendly games.

Vålerenga Fotball - Odds Ballklubb 18.03.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Man I am really liking this pic right here.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

I went to do an interview today at my school's athletic department for an internship. The hallway has these giant photos of players and stuff. All a couple of seasons old.

We are conducting the interview when one person starts talking about fan interaction and stuff. He points behind me to show me a picture he likes as an example.

It was my picture. He was flabbergasted. It was an incredibly awesome feeling to see people react to your work.

I got the spot, and they actually created a spot to accommodate me. There is also talk about making me the in house photographer next semester/year. They want to use my abilities and were super stoked on my work.

Just wanted to share. I like this feeling.

Dude, that's pretty loving awesome.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

And dancing and stuff. I dunno I just kinda blacked out after the third dog. Heart couldn't handle it.

I'm greatly amused by the fact that they have their own custom sneakers.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Not sure if the little white flakes that show up against his shorts and arm were some odd foreground bit... but God drat I love this photo overall. It just kinda grabs you.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Wow, there's something about this one I really like. Probably because the real close offensive vs. defensive player dynamic going on here.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Soulex posted:

Took more photos, made some new friends

I might have gone for a tighter crop on the left hand side (just personal preference)... but drat I like the story going on here.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I'm usually a big iffy on fisheye lenses but I really like how it worked here. Really good timing and composition for the race start as well. Also was this taken at UT Austin?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Atlatl posted:

Yeah this was at the Texas Swim Center, it's a super nice facility. I actually learned to dive there a long time ago when the scuba program still existed.

Oh cool. One of the guys who works at Precision Camera shoots their home football and basketball games on the regular. And I believe he also did a couple of sports workshops during the football season this year. Might be worth inquiring about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Motorsport is back on in a place that actually took Covid seriously

drat... not only digging that whip pan... but also how the black, yellow and white on the livery matches other elements in the shot.