Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Yay, a fresh thread. I shot a three day triathlon series over the weekend. I have the kind of job where you have to take 4 photos of every person in the race. It gets pretty mind numbing, but I have been enjoying trying to find creative shots that I can repeat 400 times per hour. I actually managed to pan on every single cyclist in this race, which gets pretty drat tiring.

There's a whole bunch more on my flickr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Zevo posted:

I've got a question on some technical specs... and I know there is a "I want to buy a camera" Ive read it, but I wanted to make sure I get the input from the people doing what I want to do.

Im going to be shooting triathlons and bike racing. I've been using a tiny sony point-n-click but decided I had camera envy and want to upgrade.

I have about $1500 to spend and trying to figure out what will be a good 'entry level' setup to get some nice pictures?

The OP is helpful, but I find myself wondering what numbers are good and what are better? I know you can spend oodles and oodles so Id like to get the most I can for what Im going to be doing.

So far Im thinking

ISO: All the cameras are high enough since Im going to be shooting outdoors during the day time... except for maybe a few of the early morning shots before the sun comes up?

Burst Speed: How many Shots per second? Mine seems to do like 1... so more the better Id guess? Is 4.5 good enough?

Autofocus: All the camera descriptions I see have some proprietary focus thing that says you get awesome pics doood, but not sure how to compare.

Zoom: So i see a lot of numbers on these... From looking at others, I think I should be in the 50-200/300mm range. Maybe?

Any suggestions on bodies and lenses I should be looking at?
Is it better to get the body separate from the lens (some come as a package with a lens I dont know if I'd need, but my find useful later?)
Nikon or Cannon or does it matter?
Like a used/refurbished D7000? Or is that too much camera for me (as a newbie) and save some $$ and get a D90 for $6-700?
With a used/refurb 70-300?

Cheers!

When I first started shooting triathlons I used a Rebel XT with a 28-105 3.5-4.5, and for just messing around it was fine. The real question is what you're hoping to get out of your race photos.

Either Canon or Nikon offers some great gear. A used Canon 50D or Nikon D200 would be a good place to start if you're thinking about doing anything serious. Anything less than 5 fps is going to be a little sluggish for shooting cycling. You will also find yourself using higher ISO than you would think when shooting action. To freeze the motion of a bicycle at full speed you often need shutter speeds in excess of 1/1000, which mean shooting in the shade can require up to 1600ISO. Which is a little iffy on the D200 and other similarly priced cameras.

As for glass you will probably be happy starting out with a variable aperture zoom like the 70-300 you mentioned. A good long focal length is a good idea for most sports, especially if you plan to do any panning. Separation between your subject and background is also really important in race photography, as is a fast shutter speed. These two reasons will eventually make you upgrade to something like the Canon 70-200 f/4 (or 2.8 if you can swing it) or the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. From there you have slippery slope to big white telephoto primes that cost more than your car.

-----

Here's how I spent my Sunday morning.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I have a job this summer traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs. No matter how many I sit through the mud pit never really gets old.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

azathosk posted:

I laughed a bit, and then I re-read your post. Traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs..? Is this a ... normal thing?

There's probably only a handful of people who do what I'm doing. I've been working with the same race photography company for a few years, and they happened to get several big contracts for national races (specifically mud runs like Spartan Race), so somebody has to travel to each one and supervise a team of local photographers and shoot the race. It's a lot like what companies like Brightroom do, taking two photos of every single person in the race in order to sell them to participants, but the company I work for tries to get creative with it and we have an interesting business model that lets everyone in the race have free photos. It's pretty tough on a shutter to say the least. I also get to shoot promotional photos which is way more interesting. The races span the entire country and Canada, but I just go to the ones on the east coast for the most part. So yeah, I'm not sure how normal it is, but it's my job this summer.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

That's loving awesome! How do you go about finding the local photogs for each race? I've always been interested in shooting one of those.

Craigslist, Facebook, ...forums. So definitely a possibility for you to shoot a race especially if you still live in Virginia and have nothing to do on 8/25 and 8/26. Shoot me an email with a link to some of your work and I'll get you more details and get you set up. c(dot)clunie(at)gmail

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

:siren: Spartan Race Recruitment Post :siren:

Before anyone asks, I talked to SoundMonkey about this and he said it was cool, he just wanted me to mention that this has nothing to do with the forums and he doesn't give a poo poo and won't take any action if a dispute ever arises about anything.

Want to shoot a Spartan Race?

Spartan Race is one of the top adventure races in the country and I've been stuck with the impossible task of finding bad enough dudes to shoot it.

As a shooter your job will be to take 2 photos of each person as they pass through your assigned obstacle. Then you repeat that job about 5000 times in 10 hours. So expect 20,000 actuations in a weekend. This is what I refer to as endurance photography. Sounds fun right? No? Well at least the pay is decent.

Pay is $50/hr for 10 hours, you get 2 half hour breaks which you get paid for. Most races are both Saturday and Sunday. Some of the higher volume races get split into two 5-6 hour shifts. You work as an independent contractor. You pass the cards in at the end of the day, no editing. Spartan Race gets the copyright on the photos and the photographer is allowed to use the photos for any purpose that doesn't involve selling them.

To shoot you need a 70-200mm, a decent portfolio, and masochistic tendencies. Most events still need 2 photographers. The races that we currently need photographers for are:

3/9-10 Georgia
4/6-7 Las Vegas
4/27-28 Indiana
5/4-5 Colorado
5/11-12 Montana
5/18-19 Texas
6/29 Utah
8/3-4 Pacific NW
8/25-25 Virginia
10/12-13 Nebraska
11/9 South Carolina
11/9 Mississippi
12/14-15 Texas
11/16 Sacramento CA

More races tend to get added throughout the year, especially in the northeast/midwest. Spartan has also shown interest this year in a stadium series that takes Spartan into major league stadiums, the first of which took place last November in Fenway Park.

I've been shooting Spartan Race all over the country for the last 2 years and it's actually really loving fun. We have a really relaxed group of photogs that are a good time to hang out with. We tend to go out for beers after the race. If you are interested or have any questions send me an email at c(dot)clunie(at)gmail(dot)com or just PM me.

Check out the Spartan website https://www.spartanrace.com

Wooten fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 13, 2013

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Tarnien posted:

An old XTi and some low-end lenses (50mm, kit, and I believe a 40mm?). She's looking to get more serious about it and wants a kit that will let her grow a little. She's looking for a new body and a lens on the wide-range end of the spectrum.

The above 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 sounds like something that could work. I'll send her the link.

The XTi isn't great but she's going to get a lot more for her money if she just thinks about a new lens right now. Maybe a used 70-200mm f/4? Or if you want to go wide a 17-40mm f/4. $1000 doesn't go very far in photobucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

dakana posted:

Word. I can respect that.

Some Spartan stuff. Takeaways from this weekend:

1. Holy poo poo it was cold. I had a cotton undershirt, a longsleeve underarmor shirt, a cotton overshirt, a Nike ACG jacket, and then my big fluffy faux-fur/suede overcoat. I was loving freezing. The rain, sleet, and HAIL didn't help. I couldn't imagine what the racers were feeling like. Needless to say, there were tons of medic calls for hypothermia -- handfuls of people ambulanced to the hospital for it, too.

NKPH2699 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2. Apparently, dogs can be Spartans, too.

NKPH0704 2 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

3. When the sun goes down, bets are off and the flashes come out for the last trickle of races.

NKPH9154 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Days like that are why I don't miss shooting races. I love the look the dog is giving it's owner, and the last one is great.