Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

With prior notice and a bit of marketing you might be able to make some decent cash shooting one.

That's the kind of shot you need to be able to pull off consistently to have any hope of sales. Middle aged guys in a parking lot actually are a harder sell - I know that from experience and hence why I don't bother and just do it for fun (plus I'm a motorsport nut). If you want to make money from motorsport you need access at big events - and believe me on this one, you need to be REALLY good to cover anything close to expenses.

I do a lot of paid Triathlon and mountain bike work and frankly I have never scored anything like that money from motorsport unless I've been hired by a team to specifically shoot their car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

WRX club skid pan / drift evening / State champs motorbikes

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I'd love to shoot that, the water makes the cars wayyyy more expressive than normal.

Also helps to know the event director and make suggestions where to place witches hats. Usually where it's fairly good chance a sliding car will hit a few puddles

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Night Drift event. An absolute bitch to get settings that work but..... got some okay shots? Admittedly low light shooting of car action isnt something I've done before esp with no flash.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MTB this time. Not many crashes in front of me, few hairy moments

Full size isnt auto rotating so I'll just link.

http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034756-e0780349.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034803-9e324fa7.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034807-3c2d2857.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034811-9f676ff6.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034815-41982176.jpg

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Easychair Bootson posted:

Formula 1 just posted a short video profiling a few photographers and some of their work. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwfILW6LHY

In all honestly there a fair bit of "yeah not bad but seems kinda sameish?" compared to that Rhys guy's pics. Most of his were superb and the guy really sounds like he is trying to do something different all the time

Going back into my archive - two years ago, ten year old equipment. TBH hosed the pooch mostly by using AI Focus not AI Servo

- Need to go back and drop the exposure a bit/play with the highlights and brightness
- Not actually a decent shot, more like hey wanna see somethign absurd being rallied?

(Also been meaning to post more from that MTB race I did)

quote:

Moneyshot. Love it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Got some more car stuff coming up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

That last football pics is absolutly incredible - great catch!

DJExile posted:

Hell yeah, looking forward to seeing it.

More from different positions once I cull

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 17, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I love shooting cars because I love cars, but I hate shooting them because they're so emotionless in a photo.

Then when you want to get into doing something creative, safety features of the track severely hamstring any attempts to pull it off. And the backgrounds are generally not helpful either.

Thats why I prefer drifting / rally. Flames, smoke, dust, poo poo flying...... altho if I can get the driver clearly that helps on tarmac

Also rally organizers are accommodating to photographers esp if they know you.

Not rally (this time)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I love shooting cars because I love cars, but I hate shooting them because they're so emotionless in a photo.

Well yeah as I said... rally tends to fix that issue

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

More rally cars

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So I used my new M6 mk II this weekend. First thirty shots werethrowaway. Next 30 were a mix but then.....

(Straight out of the camera JPG, didn treally try to frame properly, I'm just working on the tracking)

Short version - I think my 7D mk II which I used back to back hits more but when the M6 II hits... it REALLY knocks it out of the park.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Not going to think for one second most of the shots I got are attractive last weekend - but after having a good look, I think the M6 II actually beat the7D mk II for keepers and overall sharpness. The only real issue was touch to focus occasionally shifted focus points where I didn't want them. Not sure what was touching the screen to do that, just something to be careful about. Once I noted that happening, a bit more care lessened the issue.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine there's a way to disable the touch functions on the screen. That messed with me for a while.

No setting as such but I worked out it was mostly my strap touching the screen.

Not artistic or of a lot of value but I am coming to grips with the M6 II. Did another back to back with the 7D II and 100-400 L II and once again better results. However while I didnt for one second care about the flying crap while using the 7D II, I was covering the M6 II all the time.

Also... I *really* appreciated the extra weight trying to control the big rear end lens. I have not any panning as good as the 7D II as yet - mostly just due to tracking not set correctly and also not following the subject with the lens well (aka operator error)

Soulex posted:

I wish someone would answer my emails. I have been sending messages and the like to everywhere I can think of to find work. Not a whole lot out there.

Still waiting on my VA judgment, and if that falls through, I wont be upgrading any equipment.

Im gonna keep looking, but man is it hard to stay motivated sometimes.

Hey yo I hear ya. It always comes in fits and bursts and people really dont reply :/. Keep forging forward tho, your photos are great

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This is flat out one of the best photos I've seen in any thread, full stop. I cant tell if it's a nazi rally or a soccer march but doesnt matter. What an image!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

V8 Commodore having fun

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Might not be doing more than small events for a while

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Car go broooooooooooooomp