Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Frinkahedron posted:

Black Friday Night Lights, Virginia Tech vs UVA in a battle for The Commonwealth Cup. The winner improved to 6-6 and got to go to a bowl game. The loser finished 5-7 and their season was over, which made for a pretty drat chippy game (and very drunk and fantastically angry sounding crowd).

drat, I totally forgot you said you'd be there! Sorry I didn't find you to say hi. :(

For whatever reason, I had a pretty lovely game, plus since kickoff was so drat late my deadlines were all hosed. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
gently caress it, might as well knock out a double post.

Here's a smattering of stuff from a five-day stretch before Thanksgiving. Busy time of year for lots of sports.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
SI's photog layoffs are really disheartening, hurts even more than other staff cuts in recent years. :( Those guys are obviously some of the best in the business. There's no way DP Brad Smith actually expects anybody to believe the ludicrous line "Our commitment to photography is as strong as ever, and we will continue to create the best original content possible."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

It's basically the nicest way he could think to say "We're totally gonna hire them back as freelancers. Totally."

"We're big fans of the 'Illustrated' part of our name, we're just even bigger fans of not paying health insurance or a living wage."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Apparently it's time for my quarterly post about how I've been bad at keeping up with this thread but I swear I'll do better now... work's been draining lately, I'm looking forward to getting back outside.

This owns. What a cool event for that space, I'm super jealous.

ant mouth posted:

This last weekend was the Ben Hurt Chariot Wars. It's an annual event that happens in Portland, OR and is a completely wonderful shitshow. People build pedal powered chariots and battle one another. The goal is to render the other chariots inoperable or remove a competitor completely from their chariot until you are the last group pedaling. There's glitter bombs, explosives, mayhem, and this year, a hot tub on wheels.

_21H3275 by ryanlastname, on Flickr

Same sentiment, what a fun event to be able to shoot! On this photo, I don't love your decision to go vertical. Seems like a horizontal version would've shown more crowd, not cut off action, and still let you get the feel of being under a bridge like a bunch of trolls.

JohnClark posted:

This was their final regular season game so the girls were thrilled to get a win, and one of the seniors in particular got pretty emotional:
Oregon vs Baraboo-45 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

You found a nice moment here, but you shot it way too loose. I know you wanted to include the scoreboard, but 99% of the time that sort of thing isn't necessary and does nothing but hurt a photo. The picture there is all about her face, nothing else.

Soopafly posted:

Going through some old stuff that I forgot about.

Same question as I had for ant mouth, why the decision to go vertical with these? Seems like a horizontal composition would've worked much better, showing some more of the pack without unnecessary dead space, especially on the bottom.

----------

I spent part of my weekend in Greensboro for the ACC tournament, until UVA had to go and stink up the place and loose to UNC, so I came home a day early.

Thursday, a win over Florida State:

Friday, a loss to UNC:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha that's awesome, I can't help but laugh every time I see one of those things, they just look so goofy. Having some 800mm reach would certainly be cool though. Definitely share some stuff if/when you use it!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

hi liter posted:

No word back from the AD, gonna shoot a follow up email and reach out to other schools this week.

In other news, went by the local skatepark and got some shots of a BMX rider. External flash w/ the X100S is fun!

Matt by David Shen, on Flickr

Feedback is appreciated.

With high school football, unless you're at one of the Texas mega-schools where Friday night lights is practically a religion, you've got like a 50/50 chance of just being able to show up and wander the sidelines shooting freely as long as you don't get in anybody's way (stick to between the 25 yard line and end zone on the sides).

That second BMX photo is definitely my favorite, best light/colors, clean background, nice moment and face. The third could use some more light on his face and, like DJExile said, the background could've been cleaned up.

DJExile posted:

E: I might as well sell my gear now and never take another sports photo because goddamn I love this lady from a recent SR who decided Log Carry was better run as Dog Carry

I just shot one of those this weekend, and there was a woman who (at least at my obstacle) had the dog running with her. These people are nuts.

InternetJunky posted:

Saw a FMX bike show during the local airshow. It makes for some fun pictures, but I'm not sure what I could have done to mix them up a bit.

This is an amazing shot.

The last two are my favorite, the second to last is the neatest looking trick to my eye (being completely ignorant about the sport, granted). To mix up the looks, you could've shot more horizontal, varied the angle, tried a backlit/sillhoutte, varied the focal length, shown foreground. Anything to add more elements or change the elements within the frame.

---------------------

I've been really down on photography in general over the summer, I'm excited that fall sports are finally returning to get me back into the swing of things. I've just had one soccer game so far and didn't get anything great, but it was still enough to get me re-energized.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Football's back! :toot: This was a terrible game under terrible lights (when it got dark for the second half). There were 12 turnovers in total, for a whopping final score of 14-7, which required overtime to break the 7-7 tie to end regulation. Absurd.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Two weeks of daytime football! :toot:

Virginia vs. Notre Dame:

Virginia vs. William & Mary:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Soopafly posted:

They're all stellar, but god drat I love these.

Edit: dammit things changed - where do the ND guy breaking tackles go?

I don't thing I changed anything? :confused: but thanks, that second one of the UVA receiver getting crunched with his arm outstretched is one of my favorites recently.

DJExile posted:

Those UVA throwbacks are the hotness

E: Did you get any of that poor kid draped over the wall?

Haha no, but everybody was asking me about that afterward. I never even saw that kid, I must have been at the other end of the field at that moment. Stupid ESPN and their dozen+ cameras to rely on.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

red19fire posted:

VV:

High grain b&w conversion makes bodybuilding look much cooler.

This is pretty cool, and I love that you shot this with the x100t. I just picked one up and I've loved it the handful of times I've used it so far, but I keep forgetting to bring it to sports assignments, I bet it'd be fun.

Nice moment! I frequently struggle to get clean photos of shots/goals that include the goalkeeper. Where do you shoot from? Is this from behind the net or on the sideline?

I love shooting baseball, so an intrasquad scrimmage in the fall (normally a spring sport) was a nice surprise.

The Virginia/Boise State football blowout in the rain was less fun.

^ I realllllly wish I could crop down to just the heads/arms/ball to clean up the background but the image quality at that point just doesn't hold up.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

azathosk posted:

I totally agree, and I have way too few pictures like that. Great article, hi liter.

And I also love flares. Luckily this is something the ultras of my team often use:

Lillestrøm - Vålerenga 03.05.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Lillestrøm - Vålerenga 03.05.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm SK 19.05.2014 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 11.11.2012 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 11.11.2012 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

This is some wild poo poo, I'd love to see something like that one day.

I'm pretty happy to be done with this solidly mediocre football season, and heading into a basketball season that should feature much more competent play. A handful from Virginia vs. Virginia Tech last weekend:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Women's basketball :toot:

Anybody else shooting any basketball this season? I halfassed it pretty bad last year, I'm trying to challenge myself to set remotes whenever I've got the time this year.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hello again thread! If you haven't already seen, this kid nearly getting his head taken off by a flying bat is a pretty wild photo: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/10100857-74/bat-ortiz-pirates

Speaking of baseball, I love it as a fan and also as a photographer, partly because the goofiness of the sport always finds new ways to make me laugh. Like this outtake of a pitcher from yesterday's game:

I couldn't bring myself to include it in the gallery. Maybe I should have.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shooting football from above like that actually isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as you've got long enough glass and pick the right moments. The background stays relatively clean (especially compared to the parking lots or whatever you'd have at that level) and football players tend to face upward as they pass and catch, like you just showed.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've been pretty burnt out on work lately, but getting to shoot something different is always a treat. Horse racing doesn't happen very often around here.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Soulex posted:

The team that hired me was against Latinos, and the ref was as well. I started to yell at him when poo poo went south for either side and asked if he wanted to look at the camera to prove that nothing happened. He just glared at me. I know I'm not supposed to do it, but when a player gets two footed, gets up, goes for the ball and he gets a card for "studs up" I was kinda pissed.

Yeah, don't ever do that again. In addition to being wildly unprofessional, a series of photos can't ever prove nothing happening the same way video does. Don't ever interact with the ref that way as a photographer.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I get really defensive about things like that because it reflects poorly on all photographers and has the potential to make our jobs that much more difficult in the future. Leagues are already pushing out photographers whenever possible, I don't want anybody to have any more ammunition against us than they already do. It's nothing personal, and I really do appreciate that you're aware that's not the appropriate way to act, hopefully it will be a learning experience to improve going forward.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shameless double post to actually share some sports photos, too much text from me. The slide tied the game, then the opposing pitcher loaded the bases and walked the next batter for the most anticlimactic bottom of the 9th win, a walk-off walk :v:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

40ozOE posted:

Were you in the same location for both of these shots? The slide looks you're along the first base line, but based on the bokeh, it looks like those celebration shots are pretty close to you.

Yeah, same spot along on the first base camera well for both photos. The team in the third base dugout ran down the first base line to celebrate with the guy who walked when he reached first base, so they were right in front of me for the jube, 300mm for both photos.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That does suck, but for what it's worth, if the internals didn't get jostled and the only damage to the 300 is the front element, the image quality might still be much better than you'd expect. For reference: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That lead photo is fantastic. I love the foot sticking through in the middle of all the helmets.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Oh hey team, guess it's about that time for my semi-annual check into this thread where I talk about how much I want to share photos more often. This time I really do, I swear.

I left my staff newspaper job a couple months ago, and life was pretty weird for a while. I'm freelancing a bit now, so I still get to cover sports a little, and I hope I get to keep doing it more because I really like shooting sports. I miss photojournalism, but daily newspaper life is a hellacious grind.

Okay here's some pictures from the past few weeks.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

E: Jeez looks like the Georgia Tech game was a downpour

Yeah, that was unpleasant. I need to invest in some better rain protection, the Optech rain sleeves I normally rely on just barely cut it this time. I was afraid I fried a camera for about 24 hours, but everything seems okay now.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Soulex posted:

Hey everyone. I just got an email from my athletic department asking me if I want to shoot men and women’s basketball. I literally know nothing beyond three point line, can’t tackle, can’t run with the ball and don’t granny shoot. I’m thinking of saying yes, I’ve just never really watched a game before so I don’t even know the rules. They really liked me shooting the men’s soccer team though and asked me on for the basketball season. Just home games.

Where will I be, 70-200 is ok lens or wider, how do I anticipate action? Kinda nervous.

Fun fact, granny shots are totally still allowed, and the only reason nobody shoots that way is because it looks dumb, even though there's a pretty good argument for it being a better, more consistent method of shooting free throws, which I find hilarious: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.973b42da80c2

If you have a 24-70 or something in that range, use that, too. 70-200 is great for 80% of the action in basketball, but sometimes guys are shooting right in front of you, and tight shots of armpits are nobody's friend. Plus, you'll want to mix it up with some wide shots showing the arena and full body action, otherwise a gallery full of waist-up shots all start looking exactly the same.

And dakana's right, just follow the ball. Your first half will probably suck compared to your second half as you (hopefully) learn to anticipate action a little bit. Don't forget to shoot through plays, looking for emotion/reaction, not just action. Depending on the game and the team, sometimes you can get good jube from the bench, too.

So this week I've covered basketball, volleyball, and... SQUASH! That was certainly a first.

^ sometimes I break my own rules and file a photo with no ball

They installed a giant new jumbotron over center court this offseason that changed up lighting in this arena pretty significantly, I think I dialed in the color a little better for my second game.

^ this kid just scored his first points on the team, and his dad and grandfather both played for the same team. The arena went nuts.

So, squash. The action looks similar to tennis, except both players are on the same side of the court and avoid bumping into each other based on... I don't know, the honor system? They just built this new facility here where center court is a big glass cube, so I was able to shoot from in front of the players, which seems to be a rarity based on my 60 seconds of research into squash photography. The angle was nice, the lighting, less so.

The hardest part of shooting squash was trying not to flinch every time the little ball smashed into the glass at a thousand miles an hour right in front of my face.

edit: These all look soft, that's what I get for being lazy and relying on imgur's auto resize. Sorry, pretend they're sharp, I'll manually resize my next batch.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Y’all need to get lower! Shoot from the ground, sitting or kneeling depending on how quickly you might need to get up and move. (Invest in kneepads and a folding camp chair, save your knees/back.) It cleans up your backgrounds since you don’t have the edge of the grass/floor cutting halfway through your subject, and it makes the action look more impressive if you’re looking up at people.

Somebody asked about Canon’s 300 f/4. When I was staff I had the f/2.8, but I couldn’t afford that when I first went freelance so I bought the f/4, so I’ve got a bunch of experience with both. The 2.8 is the superior lens, no question. If you’re mostly shooting in daylight, or under pro/D1 lights, you can get away with the f/4, but it’s still not ideal. If you need to shoot under worse lighting conditions you’ll be poo poo out of luck with the f/4. After this fall season I’m going to do some math and see if I can justify upgrading, but the f/4 will have gotten me through two football seasons adequately.