Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Got to shoot an outdoors diving competition last weekend. It was a lot of fun but also fairly difficult with the changing conditions and the divers changing trajectory at almost every jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

freddiestarfish posted:

. by Lee Royle, on Flickr

Watersports are always hard to shoot, at least the sun was out.

This is good.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I absolutely love this one, but they're all really good.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I took so many photos at the diving event and only posted one in this thread so have a few more now that I've gone through them.

[

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

That must be an absolute hoot to shoot.. assuming you can keep them in frame.

It was a blast for sure.

And also, yes. I have so many chopped bodies or empty frames.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waiting in excitement for this post.

I'm a huge sucker for tifo's of any kind and crowd shots so I love these.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

First, no second time shooting a handball game. None of the photos from the first time were anywhere near presentable so I'm much happier with this group.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsyzMDJ

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

I was more mindful of my background (hopefully) this time.

Speaking of backgrounds, I love this shot of yours from earlier

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Had a handball and a football game yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bendika/sets/72157701711724254

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bendika/albums/72157696093539910

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

You've got good moments but in a lot of them there's nothing but backs, especially the third handball picture. The old adage of "2 faces and a ball" still holds true these days.

True, I'm still working out where to position myself during the handball games.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Caught a couple handball games this weekend.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Had another handball game some days ago, and they're fun.

Also, a slightly technical question. When shooting sports with back button focus on f2.8 should I aim for a players head, or can I get away with aiming at their body and still get the head in focus?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Got to shoot a proper nailbiter yesterday.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

The handball shots are largely good moments but you either need some more reach or to crop the hell out of a few of those, especially the last one. First one has a super distracting background as well. What are you shooting with?

I used a mix of an 80D and a 5Dmk2 with a 50mm and a 70-200mm.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

Open up your aperture as best you can. Almost everything in that first picture is in focus and it's hard to draw attention to the subject. All the banner advertisements and such obviously don't help, so you've got to do what you can to separate the subjects.

I pretty much only shoot with f1.8 and f2.8 already. I don't really know how that much got thrown into focus in that pic.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

I spend a lot of time cropping to make sure that I take out what I don't need in the photo, and highlight what I want to show. I ask myself "What am I trying to show here?" and if it doesn't show that, I discard it. Unless it has some other redeeming property.

I don't recall where I heard it but it stuck with me because it's true. As a painter, you are trying to cram in everything to get the most meaning. As a photographer, you try to take everything out so you can get the most out of the meaning.

This makes an abundant amount of sense. My thinking with the last photo was that well, of course you need the opposing player in it to get the picture of what just happened. But looking back at it, you really don't.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Rain rules.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

That looks fun as hell.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

That's cool as hell! Congratulations!

And concert photography is a whole lot of fun.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

For the portals though you're going to be kneeling or squatting an absolute ton. A pair of contractors gel knee pads from any hardware store can be a godsend.

I got some bruises on my knees the first couple times I took handball photos since I spent so much time on my knees, and then I remembered what I was shooting and that knee pads were rather prominent in most photos. So I thought about buying some, but my knees got used to it after some more games and I can reasonably shoot an entire game without suffering any pain now.

Which leads up to today, when I was asked to shoot a handball tournament across 8 arenas lasting the entire day and my knees are bruised all to hell now. Just one day left and then I'm going out to buy knee pads on monday.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I think I got a bit closer this time?

But, for the 2nd and 3rd photos. Should I have cropped out the other people and only focus on the players that are in focus/have the ball? Or is it ok as it is?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

So I did some hockey. This is my first attempt in many years, and the plexiglas was rather messy.

Vålerenga Hockey - Stavanger Oilers (1-6), 26.02.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

fffffffffffffffffffffff

Congrats on the title.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Last women's handball game of the season. Got two more mens games left and then the football season starts up and becomes the only game in town.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

How high are you dragging the noise reduction slider if you're using lightroom? That last shot in particular has a certain, shine, to it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

I use LR5 and it depends on the venue to be honest. This venue is actually the worst lit one besides my university's football field.

ISO 3200 NR was masked at 70 which is around halfway. I think. I try to make it so it's not a blurry mess but also not pixilated to poo poo. The masking helps keep the in focus stuff sharp but this photo has the wrong stuff in focus. The uniform and not the faces. Maybe that's why? I didnt do anything particuarly different this time.

That might be it yeah. It's way more noticeable on the arena football shots. Having a quick scroll through the thread I only see it in those posts, while the basketball ones look just fine. Like these two might be a bit too much.

Soulex posted:

Did some work last night. We decimated the other team. First 2 goals happened within the first 30 seconds of the match.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

First women's match of the season:

These are all great. What's your routine for moving around the pitch during a game? Do you stick to VIFs attacking side since you're shooting for them or do you roam around a bit?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

Granted, that is nitpicking, and there is no real easy way to say stuff like that. So I apologize if that was uncomfortable. I always try to remove anything that could unintentionally denigrate the athlete.

Thanks! And not at all, I had originally cropped the shorts away but decided to leave it in for some contrast. I totally spaced on the bulge in that photo.
There was another photo I left out of the finished material I handed over because of a bulge.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

Thanks!

At Toppserien and Eliteserien I can move freely behind the goal. I have to pick a side just after kick-off and stay there. I often try to predict where the action is going to happen and stay at that side for the whole game.

You don't get access to the sidelines?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

That first one is sooooo good.

Thanks!

DJExile posted:

1 and 2 are underexposed a bit, but they're very good shots on the whole.

Yeah, I'm still trying to work my way around post-processing. And I think I'm still a bit unsure on the right shutter speed for that venue, I usually shoot handball at around 1/500, but for football I've upped it to around 1/800 or 1/1000 and I don't know if that's the right move or not.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

What postprocessing do you use? Anthony Morganti's videos are super helpful, but your best bet is to develop a workflow and experiment with settings. I like LR, and it is super easy for me get a batch of photos out in 2 hours or less after event. Used to take hours or days for me. Do not neglect this step though, every photo you post needs to be edited, white balanced, straightened, cropped (if applicable), and lens profile corrected. Regarding exposure: make sure you turn the brightness down on your monitor almost all the way when editing. Seems counter intuitive but it helps you expose properly on sight, instead of spectrograph.

Your shot selection is way better imo! Thought azathosk had a parachute account for a second! You chose great moments.

I use Lightroom and a couple different presets I've worked out based on the venue, since I've only shot indoors with fixed lighting until last week. And thanks for the azathosk compliment!

Bonus photo of a linesman that posed for a photo without me asking.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Atlatl posted:

so uh I learned about competitive log rolling today while shooting an event, also I'm now "that guy with the underwater camera" on the staff. Also happy to finally escape Facilities B-Roll Hell and start doing the stuff I got on for.

Christ, that looks fun!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

https://www.aftenposten.no/sport/fotball/i/BRqLLE/Fotografen-fikk-ublidt-mote-med-RBK-spiller--Veldig-ekkelt

Now, this is in runespeak for most of you - but the article says:

Photographer got crushed by footballer. The guy got sandwiched between two players and a metal staircase. He destroyed his gear, probably got a concussion and a few cuts and bruises.

I had a ref run into and trip over me at a handball game once, but thankfully nothing that serious. I got away with a bruised ego and some choice words from the ref about my positioning.

Also, kinda weird that he doesn't have insurance on his gear.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 3, 2019

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Didn’t see this answered in the op, but x-posting from the general questions thread:

First, are there any good resources — books, blogs, etc — for the tactics of shooting team sports? Not just camera settings, but other advice. Where to locate yourself for a given activity, what to shoot (“two players and a ball”), etc. I know that “knowing the sport” is going to be the most effective, but I’m curious if others have codified any of their learnings. Particularly for soccer.

Second question: I was shooting my sons (U9) soccer game and I noticed I was having real difficulty framing shots because the action was always either moving toward me or away. In some cases I’d be zoomed to 200mm on my X-T3 when the ball would get sent down the pitch toward me (setup on one goal line). The next thing I know I’ve got four shots of a body and 1/3rd of a ball because I didn’t zoom out to 75mm or somesuch. For those who shoot a lot of team sports, short of carrying multiple bodies how do you handle zooming? Do you focus on certain areas for some amount of time, or are you constantly following the action?

Throwing my two badly worn cents into this. I'll start off by seconding what DJExile said, and add that for soccer I find it useful to move up and down the pitch depending on what I'm looking for and who I'm shooting. I'm lucky enough that I get to roam around the entire field so I usually set up shop by the midfield to get some of the early fight for possession, easy access to the coaches and shots of tired or disappointed players.

I'll hang around there for maybe 10-15 minutes minutes before I move on to one of the ends, which tends to be the end that "my team" is attacking towards as you can get some really good action shots there and everyone wants to see the goal and/or goal celebration.

The edge of the penalty box being a personal favourite spot of mine as you get both the attackers and defenders looking towards the camera.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I feel like the real story here is how well lit that pool is to let you get away with 800ISO and 1/1000 shutter. I'm lucky if I can ever drop below 3200ISO at the indoor events I shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Picture of the Year is doing their judging at the moment and they covered sports photography yesterday, with these four photos being crowned the winners in the "Sports action" category.

First place:

Second place:

Third place:

Award of excellence: