Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
Cross posting from the software thread. Just skimmed through the thread and saw some great stuff...I would read the entire thread to make sure this hasn't been asked, but I know I'll spend way too much time looking at all the cool shots.

Also, I work in the media relations department for a college athletics program and in charge of credentialing all you photogs. I can probably offer some advice from my end if anyone has any questions on that process, or what we look for when we contract phtogos for events.

And if anyone lives in Birmingham, Tulsa or New Orleans and would like to discuss working a contracted event, we may be looking for someone to shoot for us in the near future. Or if anyone is in Houston and would like to gain access to our events for practice, let me know as well.

I had a question about sorting photos after I get the photo DVD from our photographer:

Action Saxxon posted:

Sorry, should've been a little more specific and maybe provide a little background info. I work at a college athletic program and in charge of sorting various sports photos - we use them in a variety of ways web, print, media requests, etc. So each subject having their own folder makes it easy for me to complete certain requests.

After a sporting event I get the photo DVD and then import the 500-1500 images onto my computer and then start the process of putting the photo subject into their own folder. Sometimes multiple players are in the shot and if it's good enough to use for multiple people, I'll just copy and paste the file and distribute it over the correct player folders. Example, I see a photo of #99 John Smith, I move that picture out of my event folder that I just imported to, then move it over to John Smith's folder.

Here's a quick screen grab video of what I'm doing, if that helps explain it better: http://youtu.be/idZ9NAgJyeA

Downloaded Lightroom and played around with it a few minutes but will have to wait until after work to really figure it out.

Have I been going about this completely rear end backwards? If I make the switch to Lightroom, I don't think it'd be that terribly bad to go back and start tagging everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

BobTheCow posted:

I would say, essentially, yes. :)

If I were to be in your position and needed to be that specific, I would sort photos in folders by game within sport, but tagging each photo with players in the frame. That way you don't have duplicate photos all over the place, and you know that when you search/sort for that tag you'll have every photo of that player available.

I'd be curious to pick your brain about your side of things, since I work with a university myself, but I might relegate that to PM/e-mail as none of my questions have to do with actual photography, would you mind?

--------

Holy poo poo dakana I sure hope you were shooting tonight's Toledo game. I just saw the recap, loving wild.

drat, oh well. I started out with just a couple of thousand photos and have since grown to over 70,000. Was starting to get out of hand but at least I realized now!

Sure, sending a PM.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

BobTheCow posted:

Oh jeez, that's a pretty huge catalog already, yikes! I mean it's really personal preference, it comes down to whatever works for you and your staff. Would it be possible to start sorting/tagging new photos from now on that way, but still keep the old system in place for the moment with existing photos? Maybe that way after a couple of weeks of intake and usage you'll have a better idea of which system works better for your situation.

(And thanks, I'll reply to your PM this afternoon!)

And that's only a fraction of all of our photos! I'm not too concerned with going back over the discs from late 1990s-2008 as everyone has graduated and we have an adequate supply of those student-athletes on our harddrives, really just concerned with getting the best system in place now and moving forward...And then there are thousands more old photos from the 1950s to 1990s in our 50-foot archive room that will someday be scanned in along with thousands upon thousands of other paper documents.