Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
One of the key things that was posted here a long time ago and I still take to heart is to make sure that your backgrounds are interesting when composing a panning shot. Its hard to get a feel for it but a nice blurry background will really make a big difference.

Another thing to watch out for while trying to pan outside in bright sun is that you'll need to be shooting at ISO 100 or 50, around f/22+ to be able to get anywhere near 1/100th of a second shutter speed. ND filters can help some but I honestly never use them. Panning relies on leaving the shutter open a long rear end time but when it's bright outside this can be really really hard. Watch out for dust spots, it can help to make sure your sensor is clean before you go out.

The cool thing is that focus doesn't always matter so much. I mean it can, but generally you don't need to worry about setting autofocus and having your camera track with a car. At f/22 you can set something that is kind of close and not have to worry. What determines if something is in focus or not really depends on how well you pan with the object, and when you release the shutter.

Here are some panning examples I am going to shamelessly post:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

gh0st posted:

Hate to be the one to say it, but if you're going to respond to advice requests you ought to be capable. These two bits in particular are genuinely bad advice, maybe even comically bad, but definitely loaded with poor/lazy shooting form. If the reason why this is bad advice does not strike you *immediately* you ought to consider adblocking the forum reply button.

So how about you explain to me why my advice is bad instead of just bitching at me for the fact that I actually posted some advice. I mean if there is something about the examples I've posted that offends you feel free to tell me why. This forum works a lot better when people come with a constructive mindset. For you to say I'm lazy and that I gave comically bad advice strikes me as unnecessarily abrasive. I like your work, but gently caress off with the negativism.

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap

A5H posted:

Here is a bike I shot at 180mph for some content:

180 by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Probably my favourite ever pan.

This looks good but could probably be brightened up a bit. Maybe not overall, but just on the bike itself.

Sevn posted:

DSC_2026 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Great shot with the kneepad here.

-----

I shot some cyclocross last weekend:

None of the events I ever go to have a whole lot of mud :(

I also finished up my calendar for this year, I think its a lot better than the one I put together last year, still debating on if I'll ship these out to the bike shops around town. I'd like to, but I can't really justify the cost.