Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What kind of shutter speeds are you generally looking at when doing panning shots? 1/10 of a second? 1 second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

It would depend on the speed of the vehicle and how far you were from it, but you're going to be 1/20 probably at the fastest. A full second would be all but impossible without a tripod.
Ok, cool, thanks for this. Gonna sit by the highway and practice panning one day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I went up to a local lookout to find whales the other day. There were no whales, but I had my camera on me so I took some far away shots of local surfers:

Coolangatta Surfer by hookshot88, on Flickr

I kind of wish it was more obvious that this guy is completely out of the water:

The water was absolutely PRISTINE colour-wise. I swear the Tweed Heads/Coolangatta area just has magically more beautiful water than even eveywhere else on the Gold Coast.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That shot is the greatest thing, wow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Duct tape "C"s are the best "C"s.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't really shoot sports, ever, but I got to watch a ski competition, got a few shots I thought were ok:

Skiing Whistler by hookshot88, on Flickr

And my favourite:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

No way, that astronaut one is the best of the series. The one with the crossed skis and clouds is pretty badass too.

They feel a little underexposed, but I confess that may be because I've seen too many "professional" ski jump pics where the subject is brilliantly lit.
Haha yeah, I like the astronaut too, but there's just something about that last one I like.

Thanks for the advice on the exposure, I think you're right. I thought they looked alright in LR, but you're definitely on point, they look underexposed for sure. Time to go back and tweak them, I think.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Miko posted:

The astronaut one is badass.

Shooting snowsports will always underexpose because the snow is white and your camera doesn't like it when everything is 'blown' out. Feel free to push it a stop or so or set it to +0.7-1 EV.

Yeah, I automatically shoot at +1 when I'm doing anything with snow, then bump it up even more in LR if necessary, I think I must have just been drunk when I was editing them or something.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's some pretty terrible streaking right there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If it's a decent sized stadium they'll probably have lights, I have a bunch of pictures taken with a P&S that worked out really well because the stadium lights were fine in dusk conditions, so hopefully you'll get lucky that way too.

But yeah rugby league is usually a pretty predictable game, you'll get used to the movement pretty quickly and get some good photos.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Rugby league is way more predictable than normal rugby, too. About 80% of the time it's "team with ball gets tackled five times, then kicks the ball", 10% of the time "team with ball gets tackled four times but some idiot thinks he's being clever/can't count properly and kicks it", 10% fuckups that result in a turnover.

Normal rugby's like "either pass the ball for infinite number of times until someone screws up and it gets turned over" or "kick the ball to the other team at random".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Jesper is my favourite because not only the facial expression but also having your feet that far apart while stopping completely ruins your ability to actually move effectively (no longer in an athletic stance) so it's basically never ever done in real life unless you're way off balance.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whistler December 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Whistler December 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Canadian Ski Jumping team is at Whistler this week doing their final practice runs:

Ski Jumping WOP 2014 by hookshot88, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that second one owns.

I never really have the opportunity to shoot sports, but took this today with my phone:

Whistler 2016 by Hannah, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I really, really like the second last one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Question about shooting outdoor sports on a public mountain. Do the same laws apply to shooting random people mountain biking on a resort mountain as apply to just general street photography (IE: it's a public place, some people might get annoyed but most won't care)? I'm heading up to Whistler for some riding and I'm going to bring my camera gear as well to give my body a breather from 24/7 downhill.

I also want to go to some of the local races and shoot the competitors. Do I need permission for this? I'd almost rather not ask for it and just go do it since it'd be easy for them to say no.

Figured this thread would be the place to ask!

I'm no lawyer but I've taken a bunch of pictures from various events (and just random poo poo) at Whistler with my white L lens and never had a problem from anyone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Specifically I want to hike up a bit to the garibaldi drop. Think they'd mind?

I highly doubt it, as long as you stay off the actual trails (obviously) and out of the way of anyone official. I've hiked up that far at ski events in the past and never had a problem, never done it in mountain bike season but I mean really it's the same sort of thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
lol @ the gopro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Please excuse my total lack of knowledge of sports photography.

IMG_1609 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1551 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1601 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1463 by Hannah, on Flickr