Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You are missing Mandy. Also Bartlet's introduction is one of the greatest moments on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

No, I left her out on purpose, since she doesn't last long.

Fun fact, Bartlet originally wasn't going to be a big part of the show, he would just show up occasionally like he did in the pilot, but people liked him so much they made him a regular.

Ya I know that is one of the things that pissed off Rob Lowe. That it was suppose to be his show instead it became Martin Sheens. Also Mandy sucked so so much.
Also this thread and the talk in the other thread is going to make me rewatch it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 7, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Mandy went off to Mandyland... but Mrs Landingham is critical.

Please don't paint Rob Lowe as a bad guy. They sold the treatment/pilot predicated on his credentials as a leading man. The fact that the series took on a life of its own doesn't make him a bad guy for moving on when Aaron moved on.

He left earlier then Aaron. He left midway through the 4th season and Aaron left at the end of the season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

xcore posted:

I never watched this as a teenager. My parents watched it which normally qualifies a show as bad. Plus the later seasons were shown on the ABC (the "old peoples" channel). Definately think i missed out on a bit of a gem though. Think i will have to check it out.

It was always on NBC

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

Aaron was having his cocaine meltdown during season 4.

He claimed that he left since he was not getting a raise while everyone else did. Also he was having a feud with Aaron and quit during the summer due to Warner Brothers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Old James posted:

Ok, I lump 18th & Potomac in with Two Cathedrals (wiki'd the names) since I saw them in one sitting. But keep in mind the the term jump the shark doesn't mark the low point of a show, just when it is starting its decline.

Well its hard to go any higher then one of the best episodes ever. Also the 3rd and 4th season where as good and even after that it still remained awesome. The only real low point was how Toby left

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

I still lose it when Josh goes back for Sam in I think the penultimate episode of the series, and when Bartlett hands over to Santos.

The napkin

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

In 2162 votes the shuttle plot was stupid because it was nowhere near as interesting as the convention plot. For the rest of the series, it's just kind of lame. I' not able to relate to the outrage that everybody is feeling, the writers just didn't sell it very well. It's also pretty much the exact opposite thing that I like about the West Wing, which is the day to day occurrences in the white house, and instead we get this big huge public drama thing.

Just started Season 7 last night, not really looking forward to seeing this plot again, but the rest more than makes up for it.

The actor who played Toby also hated it since he believed that it was completely out of character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Civil Service in Yes, Minister is corrupt, self-serving and profoundly anti-democratic. Sure, they're intelligent, but that's not necessarily a good thing, especially given the politicians are a combination of powerless and clueless.

Thick of It and In the Loop are awesome.

Ya the civil service has all the real power in Yes, Minister and they make it so the politicians can not doing anything. The politicians only get there way once or twice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if they purposefully hired sitcom actors to put them in serious roles. The mom from Home Improvement, Jimmy James from Newsradio, and the dad from Boy Meets World. They all got into the roles really well and I completely forgot about their older shows.

you forgot Al Bundy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that Sam was supposed to be the star of the show, but Bartlett had a better reception, and so the showrunners did something you rarely see - they reacted and started focusing things around Bartlett.

Also, I'm clearly a better character than Sam. :colbert:

Go back to the Television without pity like forum.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

myron_cope posted:

My problem isn't with Leo's credentials, I guess, it's the fact that he had not too long before had a heart attack. And that Santos didn't know him, but I don't care so much about that (it's not like it doesn't actually happen in politics).

In unrelated news, Alan Alda owns so much. So, so much.

Didn't Cheney have a heart attack before the election?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On re-watch, I think it's a little clearer to me that there was interchangeable plots and ideas before the idea of The West Wing even existed. And by that, I mean, let's have an episode about a dead veteran, let's have an episode about an every day person replacing their dead congressman spouse, let's have an episode about picking the right justice rather than the easy one, let's have an episode about the moral dilemma of the death penalty. I suppose that could be any first season, but the episodes are very interchangeable and standalone, rather than the serial nature of the later series.

Toby status: Sam, you're gonna come to a verb, right?

The veteran story is based off the writers father and I am guessing the everyday person replacing their congressman spouse was based off of Sonny Bono hitting that tree. Then Supreme Court one is also important to have since its a presidents real legacy since they stay on till they die.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I understand, it's just particularly clear on re-watch that the episodes are not "okay, our characters are at X, how do we get them to Y?" - it's just, okay Mr Willis would go well here.

The Short List (Mendoza) is 9th, but I don't feel like I need to see it 9th. That kind of thing.

Oh how the first season is less serialized then the other? Ya I assume that is due to them having to change the show from having little focus on the President to having a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

scarymonkey posted:

I think the conservative judge might have been a slight nod to Earl Warren, a Republican appointee that surprised many conservatives by handing down very social liberal decisions.

Eisenhower said his biggest mistake was appointing him to the court. History would be a lot different if he was not appointed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Hugo Black.

Ah yes the one who was a member of the KKK and supported the Civil Rights movements. (To be far he had to be a member in order to get elected)

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 29, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

There's no such thing as the Civil Rights Amendment and Black was out of the Senate decades before any of the major civil rights laws passed Congress. However, your point is still valid; Black did vote in the majority in most of the Warren Court discrimination cases, and papers later revealed that he was one of the justices for pushing for even more in that regard. It's regrettable that Black is only remembered for the KKK stuff, because few white southerners did more to end the Jim Crow era than Hugo Black.

Anyways, Justice Black is one of the great American jurists and represents a constitutional philosophy that basically doesn't exist anymore. That sort of constitutional textualism was what I got from Mulready in the exchange over DOMA. There are very few modern conservatives that would actually strike DOMA down on Tenth Amendment grounds as Justice Mulready posited, and perhaps none that would have called it an easy case. In that sense, his votes would not be predictable in the typical liberal or conservative sense. The real problem is that the Republican counsel for Senate Judiciary never would have suggested someone like that, she'd have suggested a typical Republican establishment lawyer.
I meant things like Brown v Board of Education. Alexander v. Holmes County Board of Education

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

This is about the best argument I've seen yet.

Just keep the cat away from cars

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is what I think of the news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScv89J6rro

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Of course not, the Swiss are notoriously greedy about gold. :colbert:

You mean they are greedy about their cuckoo clocks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

myron cope posted:

Wasn't there a senator that died in a plane crash or something and his wife took over? Carnahan or something, I think. But also I think the Senate is different from the House, so

When Sonny Bono his wife took over his seat and then she kept on winning elections.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Mr. Lyman, don't you have a message board to troll? :allears:

(And the smashing scene is also in the cold opening--it's just that I had never paid attention to any of the stuff that happens before Bartlet and Leo enter the room.)

TWOP sucks so so much, but that really is when two trolls meet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Todays Amazon deal of the day is the complete series for 79.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

There was one episode where Sam made it sound like he'd rather kill himself than go to a Chinese opera with Leo's daughter. Racist piece of poo poo.

Should have been a Klingon opera

• Locked thread