Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Quoting this old post because I'm surprised the "shove a motherboard up your rear end" line didn't come up. It appears in Sports Night too (William H Macy's character says it I believe). It's a pretty memorable line, but it was totally ruined for me when I saw its identical counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah the video I quoted (I usually skip the videos too) is a couple dozen other examples, some a bit meager, of line reuse.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

It appears that this guy is a really, really big fan of "Seventeen People".

http://seventeenpeople.com/

The character drawings are absolutely bizarre. I could not identify most of them without nearby quotes.

Otherwise that's a really nice presentation.

edit: Not all that carefully written though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Season five is just plain bad. There are many reasons for it, most of them entirely believable and even reasonable. And there's a salvageable episode or two in there. But it's a bad season of a good show.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I feel like she's a full-fledged tier two character, somewhere between Sam and Ed/Larry in terms of development. But she does get mistreated with her cringeworthy introductory AND I'M THEIR LAWYER :qq: speech, what an awful way to introduce the character.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

As has often been said, a true friend tells another friend the truth. And on some issues, we must speak candidly, or we could not in all honesty hold the great honor of being known the world over as Indonesia's friend.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Episode S1E19 "Let Bartlet Be Bartlet", while great, feels like a missed opportunity. Much of the episode is concerned with a damning opposition memo Mandy writes about the Bartlet administration. I realize it's meant to spur the titular thrust of the episode, but in retrospect it was a chance to give Mandy a sympathetic end. Fire her for letting the memo leak. The staff are mad enough to make that action believable. Meanwhile the viewers are, for the first time, sympathetic towards Mandy, as her firing is a naked covering up of their own mistakes. Danny even mentions this outright: not immediately asking her what they need to fix.

I understand why none of this happened, that axing Mandy was a between-seasons decision, but whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

So I get to S1E10 "Noël" and remember that this is the only episode of a Sorkin show centring around a session with a psychologist that I actually enjoy.

Then the story credit comes up and it's someone else.

I guess I don't enjoy any Sorkin episodes with psychologists.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Why is the walk and talk considered a Sorkin thing when Tommy Schlamme (Chris Misiano?) came up with it as a way to engage the viewer during the interminable scenes of nothing but dialogue in the scripts written by, yep, Aaron Sorkin.

It's an invention known for its mother.

(Also that sketch was great!)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

TV shows tend to have multiple/revolving directors, and ultimately, television is a writer's medium. After all, do you think of West Wing as Sorkin's show or Schlamme's show?

Both, honestly. But not everyone's listened to all the DVD commentaries, so your point is well taken.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Some of us live in countries where the dvd boxed sets were $90 per season and didn't even have commentaries.

The MP3s are findable. I highly recommend it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Watching S3E22 "Posse Comitatus" and I have to keep reminding myself that setting a scene to (optionally a cover of) Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" wasn't yet cliche.

The War of the Roses piece playing over the assassination is better, though.

Bring on "20 Hours in America"!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

westyx posted:

I'm watching west wing for the first time, and I can see why this series is so well regarded.

One thing that sticks out for me is the number of times that people's vacations/nights/weekends are taken over by work. I wonder how realistic that is.

Up to S02E19 - Bad Moon Rising

You're in for a treat in the next couple episodes. Actually right on through the first couple of season 3 is just fantastic.

In other news, holy poo poo this is (I hope) some terrible editing (because otherwise it's even worse writing). S4E03 "College Kids", the President's getting briefed about a letter from the pipe bombers. In the middle of the briefing, the President delivers this insightful non sequitur:

"The internet has been a phenomenal tool for hate groups."

:confused:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh! Shows what I know. I should've just said "a cover".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Now abandon all hope for thirty episodes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

I agree, but there are still a lot of scenes where you just go "ugh" and I like CJ, but I bet that has a lot to do with Allison Janney being a great actor.

Felicity Huffman is good but her Sports Night character is execrable.

It probably helped to have Dee Dee Myers involved in The West Wing. She has a consultant credit through the whole thing and a smattering of story credits to boot. Having the first female press secretary giving you notes can only aid your portrayal of a woman in an old boy's club.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Just hit pause when the EP credits come up at the end of the episode. Best you can do I'm afraid.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Introduced in Season 5, which didn't actually happen

I also retcon The Supremes and Shutdown into season four! :hf:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Not like one needs a reason to rewatch The West Wing, but here is one anyway. New episodes will be online every Wednesday

https://twitter.com/JoshMalina/status/709865028753575937

Despite their intentions, this'll actually stave off a full-blown rewatch for me. I just saved countless hours!

If you're hoping for replacement DVD commentary you'll be disappointed. Shelve those heightened expectations and it's worth a listen.

ninjahedgehog posted:

maybe Josh Malina can stop slobbering over Aaron Sorkin's dick once Will Bailey enters the picture and he can share firsthand stories about the production.

I wouldn't count on it. First, they're friends, and seemingly not the kind that slag on one another. And there's the typical silly showbiz thing where (publicly at least) everyone ever is amazingly wonderful and gifted and you can never be negative about anyone lest you work with them one day.

quote:

Also, that weird-rear end trap beat they put over their opening and closing riff (it's the "Previously on" theme from the series) is the worst thing.

Yep.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LordPants posted:

Mandy is mostly gone before the season's over anyway, there comes a point where she's barely in any of the stories. Tell her to suck it up.

This is terrible advice. Start at season 2 if it's the difference between watching any West Wing and watching none.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I really like the Joey Lucas character and how she's used on the show, even in little ways. There's a scene early in season 3 where she's talking to Leo and gets interrupted by Leo getting a note. He says "oh holy hell" and gets up to leave. The camera changes focus to Joey's interpreter signing "holy hell", then cut to next scene. A nice little touch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ahaha "I dunno, who's Officer Cupcake?"

West Wing Weekly is on a roll for guests, they managed to find someone who was involved with the episode they ostensibly talked about!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ravel posted:

There's a scene in Night Five when Sam says that Ainsley's outfit is sexy enough to make a good dog break its leash, or something like that. A member of staff comments that this is demeaning and that she is offended and Ainsley Hayes gives a long speech about how nonsense issues deflect from real ones and that she doesn't mind when guys tease her because it's a show of respect and she likes sex.

That scene gets more cringeworthy each rewatch. Not even Charlie's "I'd think you were a hick" line can save it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep podcast is killing it. Keep the awesome guests coming.

I was worried they wouldn't be able to line many up, but really if it's just a fifteen minute skype call they'll probably do fine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Well Josh seems the quickest to start cracking jokes on BBoCD, so I guess it's consistent? Like I think he'd be dismissive no matter how convincing the presenter.

The map scenes are quintessential West Wing. So good.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how both Janel Moloney and Richard Schiff couldn't remember Rob Lowe's name.

Not entirely convinced it wasn't a bit, at least in the latter case. Hilarious either way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Someone (Sorkin? when claiming not to have "thrown story grenades" (is that a thing?) at end of season four) namedropped Wells once I think but yeah. Kinda funny to leave key people out from what felt like a race to say how much everyone loves everyone.

I did like the little details that came out though. Worth listening to.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wouldn't "joshsplaining" be preferable so Josh Malina thinks it means him for just a second every time it's said?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FetusSlapper posted:

Has Schiff been on any of the podcasts so far?

Yep.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's the one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I wish they would focus more on recapping the episode and less behind the scenes stuff.

quote:

And Brad/Josh have a great dynamic so it's fun to hear them talk about whatever.

We've seen the episodes (hundreds of times), I'm all for talking about stuff that's not on the screen when they get the chance.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep I knew who you meant before I clicked the link. I guess it's entirely plausible that that agent's job for those minutes is to stand right there but it feels funny.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Asiina posted:

I'm kinda mad at the West Wing Weekly. They just did the episode where Donna has a bad date then comes back and talks to Ainsley. Some people commented on Twitter it was odd that they didn't bring up the subtext from those scenes being that Donna's date thought he was asking out Ainsley. That has always been my interpretation of their whole exchange and why Donna is so weird about it.

Except now both Josh and Hrishi are on Twitter not only saying they don't believe this theory but that it is stupid and if you do think it you are dumb and making stuff up.

It seems a pretty hostile reaction to someone offering an alternative interpretation.

For whatever it's worth I think I've watched season two at least six times and this mistaken identity subtext has never even occurred to me. Now that it comes up, I guess I can see it, but it seems completely unsupported.

No reason to be a dick about it though, it's fun to poke at stories.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I take the "do we look alike" to be a bout of jealousy from Donna. Maybe she caught Josh looking at Ainsley, or is maybe annoyed that he asked Ainsley for help instead of her (unreasonable given their respective qualifications but nobody said jealousy is rational)? However it happened, we are supposed to see Donna as jealous, and presumably Josh is oblivious as usual.

The strange riff about the instruments kinda continues that, and I think I'd also written to be funny (dunno if it lands). You're supposed to sarcastically reply "yes Donna you'd be infinitely happier if you picked a different instrument to play, ideally the same one Ainsley picked".

I feel like we get some similar (if more blatant) story beats when Amy Gardner arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure where I stand, but it makes some sense. It doesn't really feel like the show is making an honest attempt to grapple with the issue. The dissent aims at an inexplicably fictional country, comes from just one character, who is acting somewhat uncharacteristically, and who happens to be one of the only two recurring women characters on a show dominated by men who otherwise spend the episode making sweeping comments about "the women around here".

Swapping every CJ line and Sam line then doing a reshoot obviously doesn't fix things, nor do I imagine it was meant as such a suggestion. I think that's the line of thought though, or at least that's how I heard it.

Also I'm rewatching the show for the nth time, and I don't know if it's the podcast or the changing times or what, but it's really hitting me how Sam does not miss an opportunity to be a piece of poo poo sexist. It would be an interesting character flaw except the show takes his side in every instance. I know that's not a revelatory observation or anything. Dude's just relentless.

• Locked thread