Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Tujague posted:

I think this show started tacking towards bad when Mark Harmon's secret service love interest for CJ got shot. It still had some good poo poo left, but if you divide the show into "Sorkin" "Early Post-Sorkin" and "Santos Campaign" eras, the last one is the worst.

I disagree, the Campaign part of the show was where it really started to find new legs and distinguish itself from merely trying to continue what Sorkin was doing.

This is one of the most amazing shows. It really ruined real politics for me because nothing can come close to the ideals that The West Wing articulated. The characters were amazing and really drew me in.

I still lose it when Josh goes back for Sam in I think the penultimate episode of the series, and when Bartlett hands over to Santos.

It's always surprising to me how funny the show is as well. The highlight for me being when Bartlett finally meets Ainsley Hayes.

I need to find my DVDs and do a full rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

You'll probably get a load of people arguing against this view but I won't be one of them. I agree with every last bit of it.

Agreed. The West Wing is about hope and striving to do our best and to better our world and I can't really think of many other tv shows that really do that anymore.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Omne posted:

Vinick thought Santos had a love child that he was secretly paying for, but it turned out Santos was paying for his brother's bastard child instead. Family drama sure, but not on Bartlett's level.

I got the impression that it wasn't 100% confirmed either way and Santos could very likely have a love child but nobody was willing to make the election about that.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm going through the show for the first time, and midway through season 4 I'm struck by how much the Bartlet adminisitration touts its own horn about its accomplishments but we don't really see them recognized by other characters. It really seems like Bartlet's reelection is won over more because of his ability to charm the electorate than through actual policy victories.

I think the reelection was more that they were to establish a President should be smart and knowledgable rather than someone you'd want to have a beer with. A poke at how in our world anti-intellectualism is an election strategy.

• Locked thread