Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
One republican moment I really liked was when Walken is president, and Josh goes to the Capitol Building trying to convince the republicans that pushing a political agenda at this moment will be wrong. Turns out, the republicans are in awe of Bartlet and its Josh who is the cynic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The middle of your post certainly doesn't make a lick of sense to me :v:

Without having seen it in a while, isn't it pretty obvious Leo is joking about the gambling? After all, the senior staff play poker in Leo's office fairly frequently.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Technically, Josh outranks CJ :v:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The biggest cheese moment that still jumps out at me is Bartlet's takedown of the Laura Schlessinger-lookalike at the radio broadcasting dinner. The whole "quote Leviticus back at the bigot" is so email-forwardy, though I suppose at the time it aired it may have seemed more novel.

I always liked that one. Seems like quoting more than a dozen passages of scripture of the top of his head is something Bartlet would do.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

brylcreem posted:

I just watched Take This Sabbath Day, and something that always gets me is the end. I'm not religious, but there's just something about the most powerful man in the world kneeling down on the seal of the United States. It's a very powerful image.

Also, there's a pretty big error in that scene. Right after Father Cavanaugh finishes his story about the man by the river, he says "He sent you a priest, a rabbi, and a Quaker Mr. President. What more do you want from him?" Joey Lucas is a Quaker, but there's no way Cavanaugh could have known about her. Discounting supernatural means, of course.

Other than that, it's a great episode. There were only three self-contained episodes? This one, the 9/11 one, The Long Goodbye, and Access. Ok, four. Only this and Goodbye were any good.

I guess it's possible that Charlie told him in the room next door or something. Still, its a bit jarring.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Junior G-man posted:

I'm sorry, but were you the recording secretary of the Gilbert and Sullivan Society at university?

I once played the Stage Manager in a production of Our Town. :colbert:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
And Sam is so happy that his callsign is Princeton :3:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Still, it seems Josh has a pretty high profile compared to Nancy-Ann Deparle. He is described as the 101st senator, so its not completely outrageous that political science students with an interest in Washington politics knows who he is.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I just recently remembered another thing that stood out to me on repeated viewings. When Leo meets his Secret Service detail, he asks who gets the president and who got stuck with him, and seems a bit taken back when he gets told all those agents are from him. As if the former Chief of Staff wouldn't be perfectly aware of the amount of security around both POTUS and VPOTUS.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Man, the Babish/Abbey exchange in Gone Quiet is so great.

"I read La Mooooooonde, was it in La Moooonde?"

"I don't know, I don't read La Monde."

"...pity."

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
As someone said, Ses 5 is depressing, and a complete tone shift. I think its examplified by the episode The Supremes, the one episode everyone likes in season 5: Donna makes a passing reference to something unrelated, and the senior staff solves a problem in an elegant manner. Its a bit formulaic (its basically the same way they solved the land use rider in Season 1 by using an obscure law), but hey, both episodes end on a high note and everyone feels good.

In season 5, episodes ends with death and/or misery instead (Han in particular :smith:)

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's why that's the one of the few good episodes. It feels much more like West Wing than most other episodes.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
My roommate mocked me for laughing at Amy snipping the phone Josh was talking in while I was sitting with my back to the TV :smith:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
What happens in Inauguration pt 2 and the Laurel and Hardy movie? The president sees toy soldiers marching juxtaposed next to real ones and he suddenly wants to intervene in a humanitarian disaster?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Watch everything first before reading any more of the thread. Better to make up your own opinion on stuff.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Ted of Scrubs fame? Who also wanted to see if the government keeps aliens in Fort Knox?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Giodo! posted:

The West Wing is pretty accurate on a lot of its little details, so it is pretty jarring when you catch something incorrect or inconsistent (although, given that the show is not particularly concerned with the continuity of its own plotlines, the latter are not all that uncommon). President Bartlet putting the Surgeon General into the line of presidential succession in season 1 before his first state of the union speech always makes me laugh. This Jed Bartlet! Come on!

Huh, I always thought he said attorney general, but when I checked right now, you are right. That's really strange.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
He did take over for a republican, the guy that had Donnas job was a republican.

Also, Leo as a secretary in a Republican administration isn't impossible, there is usually a secretary or two from the opposing party (Norman Mieta for Bush for instance, or Gates and Hagel for Obama) and the Labor department isn't the top tier of departments.

I think the timeline is fairly similar to ours, with Lassiter being Regan and Newman being Carter. Either Bartlet succeeded Lassiter, or there was a George H. W. Bush president for four years, who lost reelection in a three-way race, like 1992. Seems possible, as Leo says the elections were too close to call and Charlie talks about Bartlet getting elected with only a plurality.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Question: when Bartlet gets shot, Nancy, Toby, CJ and some others discuss the constitutional ramifications, and if Hoynes is actually in charge: they are not sure, given that the National Defense Act 1947 empowers the SecDef or something.

Toby (exasperated): This is obviously an area of federal policy where you want as much ambiguity as possible.
Nancy: Yes!

Does she mean that literally, as in these situations you need some leeway to decide on the best course of action?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

gohuskies posted:

Telling not showing is Sorkin's greatest weakness. Everyone is telling us over and over how smart a character is and then when we see them they're kind of dumb. If you want people to think a character is smart, have the character be smart, not just have every other character say over and over how smart they are.

This was even more obvious in Studio 60. The titular show was apparently the smartest comedy show ever, and everything we saw was terrible.

I don't really like Will because his character does a complete 180. Idealistic enough to try and get a dead man elected, and later on he supports Bingo Bob because he's the most realistic candidate.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I loved The Very Model of a Modern Network TV show, but songs that use the Major General's Song have a direct line to my funnybone.

I agree with that one, but that's also the only one in a season of 22 episodes where we see something genuinely funny and clever.

Science Schmience got presented as this brilliant, controversial segment, and it's just barely above what you would see on The Girlie Show.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Marley Wants More posted:

Thomas Jefferson, probably. Just the mere fact of Toby arguing with a founding father is hysterical.

They must be arguing about the typo Toby found in the Constitution :haw:

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Wasn't it primarily a money issue though? Not saying they're not related, but I thought that Rob Lowe took a much smaller salary than he used to get because he liked the show. After four seasons, the network refused to increase it, and he left.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Ah, my mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
We do know that Hoynes somehow delivered him the south despite losing his home state by 20 points.:downs:

Though I just realized he might have meant the primaries.

• Locked thread